Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > UTV/Buggy Fabrication

UTV/Buggy Fabrication For all those doing your own fabrication on the Yamaha Rhino and other UTV's

UTV/Buggy Fabrication For all those doing your own fabrication on the Yamaha Rhino and other UTV's

Old 12-17-2013, 03:57 PM
Junior Fabricator

2WD Buggy / Trophy Truck Wanna Be...

Hey all, this is my first post here on OFN. I can't believe I've never come across this site before. I love off-roading and fabricating so this site seems pretty cool.

Here's a little background on this project. My family enjoys playing in the woods and sand dunes here in Oregon. My wife and I recently had a new baby boy so we need some way to still go play with the new youngster. My oldest boy rides a dirtbike and quad so he is good to go, but this new guy is gonna be in tow for a while.. We could just wheel the 4x4 rig but we like exploring the tight quad trails.. A small polaris rzr would be great, but they are expensive and I prefer to build things!

After years of building 4x4 wheelin rigs and other miscellaneous mechaical wonders, I have a pretty good stash of parts (my wife calls me a pack-rat)

Here's the plan, build a 2WD mini buggy that can go on most quad trails, haul two people, and be had for less money than a store bought Side by Side!
Old 12-17-2013, 04:13 PM
Junior Fabricator

I've been working on this project for a little over a month now, I've collected some additional parts to use and started bending up some tubing.

In the background of this picture you can see a wrecked 1997 Honda CBR1100xx Blackbird motorcycle and a golf cart. I picked up the two of them from a guy that was gonna stick the honda engine in the golf cart... I pondered it too for a bit, but decided a full tube frame was in order.

You can see that I picked up some Terra tires for the rear end as well....

I also picked up a narrow dana 44 rear axle. This was made for a forklift but never used. It already is geared very low with 5.38:1 ring and pinion gears.

I added some tabs for linkage onto the axle.

Last edited by mrbracket; 12-17-2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:16 PM
Junior Fabricator

I've added some linkage between the frame and rear axle.

It even has some articulation...

The rear axle is only 31" wide wms to wms. With these 15" wide rims it's still under 56" wide overall.
Old 12-17-2013, 04:23 PM
Junior Fabricator

So far, everything is only tacked together, but I wanted to start on the front end...

I made some front spindles.

Started on the front suspension..

This is how it sits today...
Old 12-17-2013, 06:26 PM
Master Fabricator

Pretty cool start. If it were mine I would have done some things a little bit differently, but that is why it is your project and not mine. Looks good.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:49 PM
Master Fabricator

i dont think the rear suspension is going to work. The triangle is backwards, you need the 2 points on the frame and one on the axle. plus the link bracket is too long without support laterally.
Old 12-19-2013, 12:12 PM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh hennen View Post
i dont think the rear suspension is going to work. The triangle is backwards, you need the 2 points on the frame and one on the axle. plus the link bracket is too long without support laterally.
Not sure why you thing the triangle can't work this way?? What is your reasoning?

I agree, the link bracket needs support. If you look at the above pics you'll notice masking tape running from the bracket to the frame. That should strengthen it don't you think?? LOL, the masking tape represents future bracing for that bracket.

The frame will also get much more bracing, this is just the beginning...
Old 12-19-2013, 03:12 PM
Fabricator

It'll work fine for what your doing. Short course race trucks run their upper links that way
Old 12-19-2013, 03:51 PM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElScorcho View Post
It'll work fine for what your doing. Short course race trucks run their upper links that way
Good news, if it works on a race truck, should be fine for my play buggy...

Got the front shock placement figured out:

I'll have 9" of useable travel in the front and 13" in the rear, not bad for only being 56" wide!! Quad trails here I come!!!
Old 12-19-2013, 06:39 PM
Junior Fabricator

Mr. Bracket I have found you again here!!! Looks good. Good to here different peoples opinions. The only thing I have to say is how do you get anything done and posting on two different forums!!!
Old 12-19-2013, 08:31 PM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker View Post
Mr. Bracket I have found you again here!!! Looks good. Good to here different peoples opinions. The only thing I have to say is how do you get anything done and posting on two different forums!!!
Ha Ha, busted!! I just found this forum, it's more up the alley of what I normally work on. I like minibuggy.net too, it is nice to be part of several communities
Old 12-20-2013, 12:41 AM
Master Fabricator

Welcome to the dark side,LOL. This is a great build! I love to see "out of the box" thinking. Still wondering how you are going to shoehorn a motor/tranny into this "smart" car. Fantastic work by the way.
Old 12-20-2013, 12:32 PM
Junior Fabricator

The motorcycle engine will sit (turned sideways) right behind the front suspension.

A short drive shaft will run from the engine countershaft to a reverse box and then another drive shaft will go from the reverse box to the rear axle.

The driver and passenger will have their feet next to the engine so a firewall will have to be constructed...
Old 12-20-2013, 01:05 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbracket View Post
In the picture above there is little locating the axle from swinging side to side actually pivoting around the Front SRE on the upper link. The only thing resisting this is the parallel lower links. I can see Josh's concern and if this was a Fullsize toy I would advise that the upper link be reversed however...
With as light as this toy should be it will likely work though it may be a bushing eating SOB & there may be some binding in the suspension movement due to the bushing deflecting and effectivly locking up that bushing in terms of rotation. I say this because the axle will use all of the compliance built into the system so it will deflect just as far as the bushings will let it and over time that amount will increase as the bushings break down.
I would reverse the upper link which would effectively center the axle and put the centering load in the upper link (a triangle), all the bushings would last longer, and could need less masking tape to brace the mounts

E

Old 12-20-2013, 01:41 PM
Junior Fabricator

entropy, very good explanation, thank you!

I get what you are saying and agree with it expect for one thing. Wouldn't sharing the load of centering the axle over 6 bushings and 1 sre be better than all of it on 2 bushings and 1 sre?? Seems to me, the bushings would last longer in this setup??

I'm not worried that it won't work, each setup has pros and cons.. The bad thing about this setup is that it adds more unsprung weight to the axle. I already have a huge heavy rear axle, so my unsprung weight in this buggy is already blown out of proportion..

The main reason I went with this setup is that it fit.. It allowed me to widen the mounting points of the wide end of the triangle much more than I could have had I flipped it the other way.
Old 12-20-2013, 02:18 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
entropy, very good explanation, thank you!
You are welcome!
Quote:
I get what you are saying and agree with it expect for one thing. Wouldn't sharing the load of centering the axle over 6 bushings and 1 sre be better than all of it on 2 bushings and 1 sre?? Seems to me, the bushings would last longer in this setup??
IMO: Most of the load will be on the lower axle bushings the next load will be on the lower front bushings. There will be little to no load on the upper bushings because the SRE will pivot.
Quote:
I'm not worried that it won't work, each setup has pros and cons.. The bad thing about this setup is that it adds more unsprung weight to the axle. I already have a huge heavy rear axle, so my unsprung weight in this buggy is already blown out of proportion..
I think it will work, but you may find that it binds more then you want if so then rework the upper arm.
Quote:
The main reason I went with this setup is that it fit.. It allowed me to widen the mounting points of the wide end of the triangle much more than I could have had I flipped it the other way.
In the end getting stuff to fit compromises everything sooner or later.

on the build!
E

Old 12-20-2013, 10:25 PM
Master Fabricator

if you triangulated the lower links it might work but otherwise it wont, i would bet money on it.
Old 12-20-2013, 10:41 PM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh hennen View Post
if you triangulated the lower links it might work but otherwise it wont, i would bet money on it.
Please define "won't work" what are you saying will happen??
Old 12-21-2013, 02:12 PM
Master Fabricator

It looks like it will work the way you have it, but think it would work better flipped around ( less side to side action from flex of any/all forward bushings ) It might be easier to brace flipped around. Run a tube horizontally, perpendicular to travel, in front of shocks,from vertical tube, side to side. then mount to that.
But leave it the way it is, and give us a good report on how well it works.
Old 12-21-2013, 07:23 PM
Master Fabricator

wanted to do this for a long time!

subscribed!!