Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > UTV/Buggy Fabrication

UTV/Buggy Fabrication For all those doing your own fabrication on the Yamaha Rhino and other UTV's

UTV/Buggy Fabrication For all those doing your own fabrication on the Yamaha Rhino and other UTV's

Old 01-04-2013, 11:06 AM
Fabricator

I wasnt sure anyone was watching the thread. Ill post more right now.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Fabricator

That’s it ! time for tear down… finally after three months of building it.

The bike was black and white to begin with. And I wanted to go all white on the plastics so I kept my eye out for a stock front one, since I don’t like the aftermarket one piece type.

I picked up what I thought was a clean one on ebay and it ended up being a rat turd.
I kept it and will sand and polish them.

For the color scheme I saw a fox helmet that I dig so decided on telemagenta, black and white. I built this for me, doesn’t matter what other people think of the colors.

I rock the hot pink and love the sh1t out of it. (I actually get a lot of complements. More guys like it than not)

This pic doesn’t do the color justice, so if you want to see the real color type in telemagenta into a web browser and it will come up with a few that are pretty close.

Old 01-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Fabricator

I sent out the parts for powder coating. For my quad and a friends quad at the same time. He wanted gloss black.

I wanted “minitex” which is mini texture, not quite as rough as wrinkle finish. Since he was doing gloss, I decided to throw in a few of my parts.

The last time ill see them until they have fresh color.

The steering stem and steering head, heel gaurds and a few other parts just to add contrast.

There’s a paint out there in a rattle can that comes very close to mimicking the minitex if I need to touchup.
I also needed to use it on the upper control arms because they are aluminum and you cant remove the balljoints and plastic liners.

I kept the front arms and bead blasted them in prep for the textured paint.

Here’s what it looks like finished

Last edited by fiveota; 01-05-2013 at 11:14 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:14 AM
Fabricator

YEAA BUDDY !

Parts are back (again, these look strawberry shortcake pink due to a crappy camera. They are “telemagenta” search in google for a more realistic color idea.

Heres how close the rattle can finish comes to the powder coat

The contrast is exactly what I hoped for !

The rear axle is a bluetrax aftermarket beast.

It’s polished which I didn’t think I would like, but ended up loving it.

Let the final assembly begin. Wrap everything in towels so it doesn’t get scratched… yet
Old 01-04-2013, 11:15 AM
Fabricator

New stainless brake lines

New ball-joints and bearings everywhere on the quad

HELLZ YEA – ROLLER DONE.

Ready for wiring, Intake and exhaust

WARNING – This is one heavy mother fawker.

You can see the skid pan installed

Old 01-04-2013, 11:16 AM
Fabricator

Using the stock gsxr header but hacked into pieces.

Also included, a few stainless bends off a friends stock CRF450. I want the exhaust to come out in the stock location so its semi sleeper. (Honestly, unless your within 10 feet of this thing a lot of people think it’s just got an extended swing arm and custom colors. It’s soooo quiet… until you rev the piss out of it )

With slip joint

And header off on the table.

Frankly im embarrassed with all my welds, but I wanted to get this stuff on the internet for most of you guys to enjoy. I can take the criticism.
The stainless was NOT argon purged and was tigged on the bench.

Its sorta ok, but all of the pieces can be redone if I keep the quad...

Spark arrestor to be fully legal

Old 01-04-2013, 11:17 AM
Fabricator

Onto the air box

The welds are frankly embarrassing looking, but I wanted to get this going and they are fully functional with good penetration.

Sand blasted and painted with the rubber boots inserted

Old 01-04-2013, 11:18 AM
Fabricator

A bracket I cut to hold the fuel injector resistor box for a factory look

Few last minute items are a clutch reservoir bracket

Old 01-04-2013, 11:18 AM
Fabricator

Machined a few splices to mate the different size radiator hoses together

and made the rad hoses match the bends in the upper front motor mounts

The other size is actually another bend that matches the mount entirely.

Im looking for some billet clamps that would hold the hoses together w/o zip ties

Old 01-04-2013, 11:19 AM
Fabricator

ALRIGHT FELLAS. This is what its all about !!!

Loaded mine up

Then picked up the other three and headed 6hrs south to play in the sand.

Smelling that fresh salty air, listening to the crashing waves… and the sweet sounds of thumper quads… and the sound of 16,000! RPM of fury throwing 20’ tall rooster tails.

Very first time on the sand after checking for leaks and putting around for a little while https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7D4D1F6uAc

Heres one thats a little more fru-fru with music. Lots of standing still.

Includes four 700’s and the FZR600 powered banshee.

When I pass on the left of the camera man, around the 2 minute mark in the vid below, the 700 was in 4th around 65mph

I broke my cheap ass chain about 6hrs into riding and was on a modded 700 the rest of the weekend but all in all a very successful first trip out since I wasn’t able to test it anywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuGyDMQiipI

Winning

Last edited by fiveota; 01-05-2013 at 11:17 PM.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Fabricator

Hope you enjoyed reading and looking at the pix, at least as much as I did building it and riding it
Old 01-04-2013, 02:26 PM
Master Fabricator

This is a damn slick build man, thanks for sharing! I want to do similar haha. Does the lack of torque vs the thumpers ever frustrate you?
Old 01-04-2013, 02:51 PM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post
This is a damn slick build man, thanks for sharing! I want to do similar haha. Does the lack of torque vs the thumpers ever frustrate you?
The lack of torque is not necessarily frustrating but I do notice it when we're in relativly soft sand in the flats. And thats only with 10 paddles. If I go to 12 haulers I'll change my gearing around. An R1 motor would make alot more power and the TQ would be good, but overall I have a crazy amount of fun with it the way im setup now.

The 660's/700's can lug it down in a tall gear and I have to be in 1st or 2nd with higher RPM. Not that its bad, just frustrating.

I love riding my friends 700 with the 12.5:1 CP Piston, PC5 with DL7 tune, dual monster big bores. Prob between 58-62hp. Retarded fun

I am curious what I put down at the paddles
Old 01-09-2013, 09:32 AM
Junior Fabricator

First of all KICK ASS build you definitely built this to last! love the swing arm and the fact that you did not use the short K&N filters that other run on the throttle bodies, I don't believe they flow worth a damn

I have a few questions for you:
-Is that still the factory rear shock that you are using? is it not re sprung??
-Did you move the factory shock mount to the rear motor mount to compensate for the additional weight?
- How far forward did you move the factory shock mount on the swing arm that you made??
Old 01-09-2013, 10:54 AM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJames503 View Post
First of all KICK ASS build you definitely built this to last! love the swing arm and the fact that you did not use the short K&N filters that other run on the throttle bodies, I don't believe they flow worth a damn

I have a few questions for you:
-Is that still the factory rear shock that you are using? is it not re sprung??
-Did you move the factory shock mount to the rear motor mount to compensate for the additional weight?
- How far forward did you move the factory shock mount on the swing arm that you made??

Thank you

The short filters make the response a little laggy imo. I thought this intake would pinch off the air flow, which it does compared to the stock... but it doesnt. It revs freely and I dont notice the power band much different than a bike aside from trying to spin a pair of paddles.

The rear spring is stock for now, though I would like to re-spring at some point if I keep it.
The upper mount is moved out an inch, do to placement of the motor but it did help with the weight when I mocked it up. Its perpendicular to where the stock mount was.

The mount on the swinger is the same location from the pivot point as it was on the stock arm.

In retrospect I may have moved it forward a little, but it works very well aside from the fact that it needs to be resprung and the shock is toast since it sat outside forever. Nice and cush now
Old 01-09-2013, 02:03 PM
Junior Fabricator

thanks for the reply, I was curious about the rear shock because I noticed that when you moved the upper shock mount down it flattened out the shock angle and wondered if you had moved forward the lower mount to compensate for that. I did that with a street bike swap quad but then ran into the same problem that you have with it being to much weight on a stock sprung shock
Old 01-09-2013, 03:27 PM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickJames503 View Post
thanks for the reply, I was curious about the rear shock because I noticed that when you moved the upper shock mount down it flattened out the shock angle and wondered if you had moved forward the lower mount to compensate for that. I did that with a street bike swap quad but then ran into the same problem that you have with it being to much weight on a stock sprung shock
My friends that have stock 700's with extended arms have the same problem with it being too soft when you change the weight distribution.

Do you have photos or a link to your quad ? I like to see other builds
Old 01-09-2013, 08:25 PM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiveota View Post
My friends that have stock 700's with extended arms have the same problem with it being too soft when you change the weight distribution.

Do you have photos or a link to your quad ? I like to see other builds
link to my build (still in progress) http://www.raptorforum.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=88742
Old 04-04-2013, 02:31 PM
Fabricator

UPDATE: This bad boy is for sale so I can finish my 600 RWHP GS300 that I started back in 02’

First order of business, replace the one part I broke the first trip out.
The chain, traded in the cheap straight to your door for $26.98 china special direct from hong kong, to the EK bad boy.

Cost about 6x more but proved very worth it with zero problems on a 5 day beat down session.

I learned that I needed less gear and more wheel speed from a dig, based on the first trip so this trip I picked up a 52 tooth rear.

Old 04-04-2013, 02:32 PM
Fabricator

All I can say is holy shinikes.

That was exactly what I needed to wake this snitch up.

I needed to do something about my chain slider over the front of the swing arm pivot so I grabbed a few pieces of HDPE from my local plastics place for $2.50.

Sketched out the shape I wanted. Drilled a hole with a hole saw, then cut with a jig saw. Sanded it down with an angle grinder and flap wheel