Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > Benders and Bending

Benders and Bending Which bender is best? How do you use a bender? How do you calculate bends? Everything Bender related...

Benders and Bending Which bender is best? How do you use a bender? How do you calculate bends? Everything Bender related...

Old 06-03-2016, 09:07 AM
Master Fabricator

Instead of levelling the arms wouldn't it be better to set all your levels off the die itself rather then the arms?
Sorry just going through reading all the old posts before I even attempt to bend try gather as much knowledge as I can
I have protools 105.

Last edited by fabcam; 06-03-2016 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-03-2016, 09:33 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducas99 View Post
Instead of levelling the arms wouldn't it be better to set all your levels off the die itself rather then the arms?
Sorry just going through reading all the old posts before I even attempt to bend try gather as much knowledge as I can
I have protools 105.

I think the reference to the leveling of the arms is that they are not parallel to each other. This will cause the tube to twist. Leveling the die can prove to be very difficult, so a Plane of Bend Bracket is typically suggested. This way the die can have a couple of degree canter to it and POB with a digital level will have all the bends in the same plane.
http://www.BendTechDragon.com

Cris Merry
Phone: 651-257-8715
Cris@bend-tech.com

Old 06-03-2016, 10:11 AM
Master Fabricator

Ah yup gotcha now I understand why the guys were welding plates on the bender stander against the arms.
Old 06-08-2016, 05:27 PM
Master Fabricator

Pro tools have this on there webpage

http://www.pro-tools.com/dont-get-it...-tube-or-pipe/

In regards to pipe twist my question is if you have more then one bend ie a main hoop what do you do then?
Old 06-08-2016, 05:48 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducas99 View Post
Pro tools have this on there webpage

http://www.pro-tools.com/dont-get-it...-tube-or-pipe/

In regards to pipe twist my question is if you have more then one bend ie a main hoop what do you do then?
Well if you are compensating for twist the way Pro-Tools suggests, you simply do the same compensation on each of the bends. When using a plane of bend bracket, you usually always bend from one end to the other, feeding the tube in one direction and never flipping. So for each bend you are able to compensate for twist by starting with the tube twisted in the opposite direction. If you like to bend from the center out, where you flip the tube, you're going to have a hard time effectively using a plane of bend bracket.

I think the problem with the method described in the Pro-Tools link is that if the twist depends on bend angle (i.e. there is more twist for a 90 deg bend than for a 45deg bend), you would also have to factor that into your compensation. The root cause of the twisting is not being addressed, which as I understand it usually has more to do with the angle of the pins that keep the die and follower block on plane with eachother.

Don't limit your challenges. Challenge your limits.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:02 PM
Master Fabricator

Not sure how you mark you bend points doing it that way all the vids and tutorials Iv seen they bend from the middle out? Or do you use bend tec?