Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > Welders and Welding

Welders and Welding Which welder is best and the best way's to use them.

Welders and Welding Which welder is best and the best way's to use them.

Old 02-05-2017, 04:40 PM
Master Fabricator

Welding notched tube by tube notcher vs grinder cut notch

Hi guys so Iv built 80% of my cage by doing my notches with the drop saw or grinder.
abit of back and forth to get things right but fit snug no big gaps and really nice welds. I bought a tube notcher as I wanted even better fit ment and neater more professional look, abit of testing to work out how to use it etc then I notched some tube for some uprights on my side intrusion bars cleaned the tube up with grinder etc after notching fit beatifully in place then welded they are the worst looking welds on the car look shit and wanna put the grinder into them. Still good penetration and heat but by no means good looking
Got me thinking would it be because with the notcher the material gets thinner and thinner as it moves away from the centre of the notch? Compared to the grinder cut notches which are nearly the same thickness all the way around? So weld looks more consistent all the way around, should I be grinding my notches back so they don't taper down to nothing on the ends and bevel the opp way
Any advice as don't want shit looking welds
Cheers
Old 02-06-2017, 08:22 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducas99 View Post
, should I be grinding my notches back so they don't taper down to nothing on the ends and bevel the opp way

Yes.
You will be much happier with the results.
Old 02-06-2017, 08:25 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducas99 View Post
the same thickness all the way around?

This
Old 02-06-2017, 10:35 AM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooteK View Post
Yes.
You will be much happier with the results.
x2
http://www.BendTechDragon.com

Cris Merry
Phone: 651-257-8715
Cris@bend-tech.com

Old 02-07-2017, 12:25 AM
Master Fabricator

Also, if youre using lube for notching, make sure you clean it completely. I hate the mess so i notch dry.
Old 02-07-2017, 12:38 AM
Master Fabricator

How many cuts are you getting by notching dry?
Did abit of trial and error last night.
I'm using 38mm (1.5") tube with a 40mm (1.57") hole saw I thought the 38mm would make even thinner sharper points so went to 40mm, first I was notching 15mm for the end of the tube to the side of the whole saw but just went 10mm last night made huge difference still very nice snug fit but far less clean up and bevelling with grinder and easier to notch as less material
Old 02-07-2017, 11:01 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokcrler View Post
Also, if youre using lube for notching, make sure you clean it completely. I hate the mess so i notch dry.
I heard Rokcrler say this a while back and have been doing it ever since. Hole saws seem to last just fine. WAY less mess. Great advice, thanks Rokcrler.
Old 02-08-2017, 08:36 AM
Master Fabricator

Cutting dry for ever. I found this to cut faster for me. Hole saw life in my experience has been directly related to how much heat is put into the hole saw. The most harm to the saw (IMO) depends on how much material is rubbing on the inside of the saw. I will cut half way, stop, and remove the piece, then plunge again for the rest. This also reduces the chance of the piece jamming against something near the finish. When you jam against something it can bend the saw out of round or off center. Slightly bent hole saws are trash to me.

Edit>>> Tooth per inch is important for hole saws, sawsall, bandsaw, etc... I believe the rule of thumb is no less than two teeth making contact at all times. This is more relevant to thin material. Not enough teeth making contact will cause chattering, witch will damage the teeth.

Last edited by ScooteK; 02-08-2017 at 08:47 AM.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:47 PM
Master Fabricator

Another option is to simply not cut your notch as deep on your 90* joints. On 1" tube I go .250" deep, 1.5" tube .375" deep, etc.
Old 02-08-2017, 04:14 PM
Master Fabricator

Yea that's pretty much what I'm doing now at first I was going 1/3 the diameter of the tube but go about 1/4 now works much better, was looking at the drop saw last night thinking of how I could make a jig up for that so just slide the tube in that's set for the correct angle and depth to do the notch I think would be much easier then notcher which I feel like I need 3 hands to try set up for each notch
Old 06-01-2017, 05:23 AM
Master Fabricator

Hey guys notches looking awesome now
Just curious what your using to lubricate the roller bearings inside the notcher itself
I sprayed some crc on them the other day now it feels like it's grabbing
The shaft and trying to pull it through the bearing what's the best lube for the bearing
Old 06-01-2017, 10:26 PM
Master Fabricator

I had to lube mine last weekend. I like using moly grease and just barly smear it with my pinky.

Ive been looking as possibly putting shaft seals to keep grinding dust and crap from getting to the bearings.