Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > In The Shop

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

Old 04-07-2010, 10:40 PM
Master Fabricator

My first disk sander was made from an old oil heater motor and the frame and table were made from oak!
Old 04-10-2010, 10:59 AM
Master Fabricator

got this in an email today, several sanders, a grit notcher, and trick tools hydro tube bender

tools are on page 2

http://www.bidspotter.com/forms/imag...y=10491&page=1
Old 04-10-2010, 09:36 PM
Master Fabricator

hey, thanks for that.
Old 04-20-2010, 12:55 PM
Fabricator

For those guys that use a combo belt/disc sander indulge me in a dumb question:

What is the benefit of the belt sander over the disc?

It seems like for dressing the edges of a cut part (like flat stock cut with a plasma) you could run it on the platten up against the disc and get a nice square edge...and if you're doing a long straight line you could pretty easily run the piece back and forth to get the entire length dialed-in.

The belt sander seems to do the same function if you're using the platten to stabilize the work, except I guess that all the sanding is happening in the same direction. With the grinding disc, I guess that half the part is being sanded in the "up" direction, and the other half (past the disc centerline) is being sanded in a "down' direction???

Anyway, I'm just curious. I can't help but feel like a good 12" or 16" disc sander could do almost anything (except for inside radius smoothing) and the belt sander portion of the combo machines is a bit redundant... anyone have an example where the belt can do something that the disc can't???

-G
Old 04-20-2010, 01:19 PM
Master Fabricator

We used to run really knarly grit on the disk for hogging and finer stuff on the belt for finishing.

The belt works great for puting a "brushed" finish on aluminum parts.

Disk spits grit out the other side,sometimes in your face.

Belts a little longer more surface area,for doing taller parts.(im talking 6 by 48)

You can take the guard off the top roller and do slight radius ,although not much control.
Old 04-20-2010, 06:13 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg72 View Post
For those guys that use a combo belt/disc sander indulge me in a dumb question:

What is the benefit of the belt sander over the disc?

It seems like for dressing the edges of a cut part (like flat stock cut with a plasma) you could run it on the platten up against the disc and get a nice square edge...and if you're doing a long straight line you could pretty easily run the piece back and forth to get the entire length dialed-in.

The belt sander seems to do the same function if you're using the platten to stabilize the work, except I guess that all the sanding is happening in the same direction. With the grinding disc, I guess that half the part is being sanded in the "up" direction, and the other half (past the disc centerline) is being sanded in a "down' direction???

Anyway, I'm just curious. I can't help but feel like a good 12" or 16" disc sander could do almost anything (except for inside radius smoothing) and the belt sander portion of the combo machines is a bit redundant... anyone have an example where the belt can do something that the disc can't???

-G
The disk has a wide range of surface speeds to work with. The center is slowest for fine removal and the outside is fastest for quick removal.

The reason I chose a belt over a disk is becuase you can work your parts on both sides of the belt. You can only work with 1/2 of the disk.

For example: you have a part with an outside radius that you need to grind, but you can't get all the way around that radius becuase the part would hit the sanding disk. With the belt, you can go to either edge and hang the part past the belt. With the disk, because of the rotation, you can only use the half of the disk that is rotating down (right side on a clockwise rotating disk). Sure, you can flip the part over, but that doesn't always work.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:51 AM
Fabricator

What about something like this?:

It gives the functionality of the belt sander (ability to work longer parts, grinding all happens in same direction) but due to it's orientation you can use the platten to stabilze the work and still get a nice square edge on the parts you're shaping...looks like you can even go around the rounded edge of the belt to do some inside radiuses (if you're careful and hold on tight!).

Sorry for all the noob questions, but a decent sander setup is going to run at least $500 (decent disc sander with 1HP motor) and more like $1000 for a combo unit with a decent motor, and I'm having a hard time imagining the pros & cons enough to appreciate if it's worth spending the extra $$$ on a dual-purpose unit.

I'm sure that no matter what I will like it more than using a gazillion flap discs on my 4-1/2" grinder the way I do now to dress my edges down to their final shapes...

Here's one I just did, freehanded it with a plasma then freehanded the edges with a flapdisc.

The results are nice, it just takes me forever to make each part I need. At this rate, I'll be in a retirement home before the truck is finished.

-G
Old 04-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Fabricator

Did you guys see this? http://www.off-roadweb.com/tech/1005...der/index.html

I really want to build my own belt sander too, im planning on trying to make something out of aluminum like the JMR one posted earlier.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:22 PM
Master Fabricator

I really want to make my own, but I want to use either a 4" or 6" wide belt, and I'm having a hard time finding a source for wheels that wide to use.
I'm almost to the point of buying this:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=6852

and then just replacing the motor with a better one. I figure with all the parts needed to make one myself, I'd be money and time ahead to just buy this HF unit and upgrade it as needed to suit my tastes.

Last edited by idahoaj1; 04-21-2010 at 10:25 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 10:42 PM
Fabricator

Wait for them to put it on sale for $200 and show up with a 20% coupon and $175 shouldn't be guilt free.
Old 04-22-2010, 03:07 PM
Master Fabricator

I have used three different HF belt/disc sanders at friend's shops and not one of them was worth a damn, period. The belts wont stay tracking straight and the discs are all out of balance and not true. Keep your eyes open for a delta rockwell or the like used/broken on Craig's List, they come up for reasonable prices once in a while and they are super simple to fix and SOOOOO much better then the crap HF ones.

Jaysin
Old 04-22-2010, 10:31 PM
Fabricator

Belt sanders

I have a Sears 6" x 48" belt / 9" disc that I bought probably
20 years ago, and haven't had a speck of trouble with it.
I use it for wood and metal.
John
Old 04-23-2010, 12:46 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahoaj1 View Post
I have a pretty good source for surplus electric motors locally for pretty cheap, and its got me thinking about making some tools.
Hey there AJ, I need in on the electric motor action. Shoot me a message with details of where to get them if you don't mind. I'm really digging the zancat style belt grinder, and I think I'll have to draw up the side plate and save it as a .dxf file and then see how much it will run to get a side plate or two plasma cut.

Mike
Old 04-23-2010, 11:46 AM
Master Fabricator

Mike, I have 2 routes that I've been exploring, but I'll only tell you what they are if you promise to share your builds with me!

1st route is Hidden Treasures in Shelley, they have several motors for really cheap.
2nd route that is working better for better motors is farmer junk piles. I knock on their door and ask them to sell parts off the junk. Got 2 of the 1.5 HP farm duty motors that way for $50.
I'm working on getting a 5HP motor now from another guy I saw the other day in Ashton.

Anyone have any more ideas on what I can make with some of these other motors?

Also Mike, you can have the 1/3HP motor i initially picked up for $20 if you want it. I was gonna use that one for a belt sander, but decided I wanted a 1.5HP one for that, just cause I can.
Old 04-23-2010, 11:47 AM
Master Fabricator

Anyone know a source for 6" wide drive wheels?
Old 04-23-2010, 01:39 PM
Master Fabricator

No ,but when i get home i can post a pic of an extra one i have for my delta.Its not crowned,it would be pretty easy to make.Its actually two "halves" that face each other making a hollow drum.
Old 04-23-2010, 04:56 PM
Master Fabricator

You might check these soueces.....

http://www.contactrubber.com/

http://www.beaumontmetalworks.com/

Some guys use the replacement drive wheel from Grizzly.....

http://www.grizzly.com/products/10-A...or-G1015/G9242

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahoaj1 View Post
Anyone know a source for 6" wide drive wheels?
Old 04-23-2010, 11:25 PM
Master Fabricator

Ohhh... Thanks Cap'n!
Ive seen Beaumont, but couldn't find what I wanted there, hadn't thought about getting Grizzly parts. Good idea!
Old 04-25-2010, 08:01 PM
Master Fabricator

Whoops ,dont know how to post photos yet.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:19 PM
Master Fabricator

For grinding & sanding metal, a 20" disc grind, nothing better IMHO. Here's mine. The ability to do a wide piece is awesome. They reverse too so you can grind left & right sides of something. Table tilts to a tad past 45*. A belt sander has it's purpose, I have two of those too. They hardly ever get used, but I do use my 1" wide belt sander from time to time.

Last edited by rdn2blazer; 10-22-2012 at 04:53 PM.