Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > Welders and Welding

Welders and Welding Which welder is best and the best way's to use them.

Welders and Welding Which welder is best and the best way's to use them.

Old 01-05-2018, 03:36 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

deaner - I was thinking I would make my own brackets from flat bar and put a slot in them so the hardline could pass out of them without disconnecting the hose. Is that what you mean? Are there premade, off-the-shelf brackets available someplace?

dean - I don't have good visibility on the interior because the ID of the housing end is smaller than the ID of the tubing (i.e there is a step) and I would have to be looking at it from the inside of the tube - I guess I just need to grab a mirror and take a look. I did bevel the housing down to about 1/16th thickness for the initial welds, so I'm not terribly concerned about full penetration at the root of the weld.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:21 PM
Master Fabricator

Yep, that's what I meant. Wish I had used the ones with the slot. Got a bit of a problem now. I think I'll carefully cut a slot. Kartek sells them: part no. SUS04114B 4.59 for two. Others have them without the slot for a dollar a piece.
Old 01-29-2018, 05:06 PM

More progress on the rear end. I picked up a pair of Powerslot (now Stoptech) slotted rotors for the "LS1" brake swap. They are directional vane, P/N 126.62065SL (left) and 126.62065SR (right).

As you may know I like to get my son into the garage as often as I can, so I he helped me mock up the axles and brakes. Here's a little hyperlapse video of us.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvRaX1sOSa4

I'm happy to see everything fit as it should and I hit my target overall width WMS-to-WMS within 1/16th inch. To summarize, I narrowed the housing using Strange H1143 GM pattern housing ends and used strange B1105D spacers for tapered Ford bearings. The brakes are "LS1" calipers and backing plates from a '02 Camaro and the axles are custom length Strange axles. The overall WMS-to-WMS has been narrowed by 2in from 60-1/4" to 58-1/4" (1in per side). The goal is to fit more common 0 offset wheels (for example 18x9 w/ 5"BS) instead of getting 1" offset wheels (for example 18x9 w/ 6"bs) which are virtually unavailable without going to 2 or 3pc wheels.

Happy with the brake mockup, I picked up some new brake hoses. The original "LS1" hoses have a 10mm banjo at the caliper and a 10mm bubble/DIN connection at the other end. I decided to swap them for '05 Blazer hoses which are a couple inches longer and have a 3/8-24 inverted flare for 3/16" tubing. They are Dorman H380469 / Napa P/N 380469 and cost about $10 each. By comparison, braided stainless lines of the same size are around $25ea.

For mounting the hoses, I picked up some precut tabs for Currie CE-6013-TAB. They didn't have a slot for removing the brakeline, so cut a slot with my bandsaw. This will allow me to remove the brake lines from the axle without opening up the brake system, so i can just hang the calipers and lines from the car if I want to remove the rear end - no bleeding needed.

Once I figured out where I wanted them, I used a Dremel and a carbide cutter to make a notch for the anti-rotation tab. Then I tacked and finally welded them on. I used Allstar brake line clips ALL50150 to retain the hoses lines.

That was it for fabrication, so it was finally time to strip it back down for clean and paint. I got an electric pressure washer a couple months go. After a series of soaking in degreaser and spraying inside and out with the pressure washer, it was ready for paint. I would have liked to sand blast the outside but I decided I would rather avoid putting any more grit into the housing.

I decided to get an LPW racing diff cover, not so much for the cap support girdle but because I'm more confident the cast cover will seal well and it has drain and fill ports. One of my goals for the car is no leaks!

I think that's a wrap for this thread. I will transfer this info over to my car build thread when I make more progress. Thanks for all the tips and advice!
Old 01-30-2018, 04:39 PM
Master Fabricator

Been nice to watch this come together. Time to get it assembled and back in?
Old 01-30-2018, 06:34 PM

Yes sir. I'll put that info in my build thread as I make progress. Thanks for watching and providing input. Sometimes I feel like I'm going at it alone but when OFN chimes in it really helps me see where I need to make changes.