Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Old 01-11-2008, 03:10 AM
Junior Fabricator

68 Camaro

New here.
Thought you guys would like this mess.

I got a call from a friend that owns a paint/body shop that deal with insurance claims to high end Euro exotics. We just turned out a paint job on a Ferrari that was appraised at 4.7 mil. Body guys tore this car apart, and left me with very little to work with..

Fine unit!

Customer WANTS a '68 convert, and it HAS to be this pile of rust.

So what does a guy do with this crap?

Build a shopping cart that holds critical dimensions

The shopping cart ties into the front sub-frame/body mounts, rockers, rear sub-frame, and shackle hangers. After all that was located to factory GM spec., I test fit all of the replacement panels to the stock metal (whats left). Stuff fit, so I was good to go.

These pics are a bit dated, but I will get more tomorrow. Rear sub-frame is in, driver b-pillar, and other BS. I have test fit the door and 1/4 panel, and it is nicer the your mommas Lexus
Old 01-11-2008, 03:21 AM
Junior Fabricator

My background. Been building wheeling rigs for years. Apprenticed with a guy that has been building hot rods for longer then most of us have been alive. He happens to have a some customer junk up for Good Guys Early Truck of the year, in 2007.

Here is an 33 Ferd, 351/T5/ coil-overed, 2" chop, DVD, stereo, power everything blah blah blah

Also had a hand in restoring a very popular custom that won the winter national show in the early '60

Thing was not driveable. 58 impala with Pontiac 1/4s, olds bumpers, sectioned 4", chopped 4"...all gas welded, and LOTS of bondo. Cool piece of history, but a pile. It was the same deal with the 50 merc that Barris built, that we restored. Old Skool is ugly.
Insides
Old 01-11-2008, 03:26 AM
Junior Fabricator

Inside pic didn't show

Next rig at that shop was a '34 Plymouth coupe with the top chopped off, and built poorly. Old Hemi was cool stuff

In the background is a 55 Ferd, 9" rear coil-overs, Supercharged 302, Mustang cobra tranny, full on pro touring rig. The owner Races ASA, and wanted a fun street car.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:31 AM
Junior Fabricator

Bottom of the Ferd. Should be solid on the road

Old 01-11-2008, 03:35 AM
Junior Fabricator

Impala out, delivery came in.
This pilw was from Bakersfield, CA. As far as we could tell the was 3 diffent bodies put together to make this Delivery.

Came in for a top fill with a '60's ford van roof rust repair, wood replacement, etc.

Many more cars and stories if anyone is interested in later. Bed time for this guy
Old 01-11-2008, 09:51 AM
Fabricator

Definately have your work cut out for you on the Camaro. Luckily my current project Camaro won't be as hard. All I have to do to it is replace the floor from the tail panel all the way up to and including the dash. I've been trying to figure out the best way to build my "shopping cart" so that I can get in and work on the floor without things being in the way.
Old 01-11-2008, 10:42 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAME View Post
New here.
Thought you guys would like this mess....

Fine unit!

Customer WANTS a '68 convert, and it HAS to be this pile of rust.

So what does a guy do with this crap? ...
What do you do with it? You convince the customer that he would be money ahead and you would have less head aches by getting a NEW body from Dynacorn like these:
http://www.dynacornclassicbodies.com/gm_models.html

I know that Dynacorn only has a 67 model convertable, but the 68 is nearly identical and it would be easier to make the 67 replacement body into a 68 then it is going to be to redo that POS.

If you say the pictures are date, this may be to late to go this route depending on how much the customer is willing to spend.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:03 AM
Junior Fabricator

Customer absolutely refused to get a new body, or a different car to repair. Money ahead making a new 67 body in to a 68, but that isn't what he wanted.

He is very willing to spend... around 15k in repair parts. I like to think that if I had amount of "hobby" funds he has, I would be "smarter" with it. I got pics today, and I'll post 'em in a bit.

Overkill, what exactly are you having issues with? I have my cart drawn out in a AutoCAD file if that would help at all.
Old 01-12-2008, 02:51 AM
Junior Fabricator

Unibody cars are hard !

check out the 1971 Cuda me and my family restored here is the link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dT2ny17WNuo
Old 01-12-2008, 02:58 AM
Junior Fabricator

Sorry

By the way sorry to hijack your thread, I just thought our project was kinda similar being unibody type
Old 01-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Master Fabricator

Lame, didn't realize the kind of work you do! My brother's in the same business up in WI, well, restoration stuff and hot rod stuff, no high end exotic junk.
Looks like you know what you're doing though. I've got a '68 Camaro sitting behind the garage with all the rusted panels already replaced and ready for finish work, just no time, money, and motivation to do it!
Old 01-14-2008, 08:36 AM
Master Fabricator

To bad for you that the customer is not smarter with his money. Judging from the first picture, by the time you replaced on the qtr panels and inner panels on the rear half, he will still have a "new" body...What was his reasons for not going to the new, better body? Was he concerned about the VIN for a numbers matching car..that could be "fixed".
Old 01-14-2008, 09:49 AM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAME View Post
Overkill, what exactly are you having issues with? I have my cart drawn out in a AutoCAD file if that would help at all.
The AutoCAD file might be useful. I'm just trying to figure out if I cut the complete floor, trunk pan, rear frame rails, toe boards, firewall and dash out, am I going to be able to have enough room to work with all the mount points sticking up to mark where the sub-frame mounts, leaf spring mounts, and any other points that I decide to mark. I will most likely have it sitting on the rockers and bolted through the rear bumper bolt holes and will have to have cross bracing through the driver's compartment to keep the body square. Once I get all that stuff in the way am I going to be able to get the one piece trunk pan and one piece floor pan in there?

Thanks for the help.