Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Old 12-22-2007, 01:21 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEGGER1454 View Post
all of this work and he's not even putting "dubs" on it?!?!?

It will in the back. Won't fit up front.
Old 12-24-2007, 02:08 AM
Master Fabricator

Drivers side is tubbed. This is what they look like before grinding.

Put a clutch from a 90 Honda Accord under the dash.

Crazy contraption.

Made an offset brake pedal linkage thing.

Works great. I swapped it over to manual brakes, got a 60s Corvette master cylinder. Gives plenty of room for the tires. I can't get all the fittings I need to plumb up the brakes, so I just plumbed the fronts so it can be pushed on and off the trailer safely.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:14 AM
Master Fabricator

i guess i never realized all the work that goes into a body drop.....wow you are having to do a lot of fabrication for this!! i would hate to live the life of your grinder!!! looks good though keep it up!!
Old 12-24-2007, 12:37 PM
Master Fabricator

I had 3 grinders. I just killed my Milwaukee. Need to put a new cord in it.
Old 12-24-2007, 12:47 PM
Master Fabricator

silly grinders
Old 12-24-2007, 01:13 PM
Master Fabricator

Does he plan on driving it much? On a safety aspect, converting from a power brake/disc brake set up to a manual brake/disc brake set up will create a stiff pedal requiring much additional leg pressure. Also, with a single stage master cylinder, if it ever fails you will have zero brakes. With a dual, if one stage fails, you still have the other stage to get you stopped. I don't want to see any fall back on you if something goes bad.
Old 12-24-2007, 07:20 PM
Junior Fabricator

I have to speak up here even though I mostley lurk. The "offset brake pedal thingy" and having a single piston master cylinder is about as ghetto backwoods half-assed stupid idea as you could get. If I offended you with that comment then good. You should be. I dont bag on people and I enjoy seeing different ideas but my comments are to get your attention.

Steering and brakes are the two things on a car that you ABSOLUTELY CANNOT AND SHOULD NOT BE COMPROMISED ON! You put the driver, passengers and others on the road, at the same time of failure, personal safety on the line.

Again Im not trying to bag on you or call you a hack, but your fabrication of crap like this speaks for itself. If you want to be taken seriously as a fabricator and be respected by people who know the difference, then yank that junk out and do it right. Otherwise your going to end up working on nothing but punk kids cars/trucks who dont know anything different who's parents will end up sueing you and ruining your life when you end up killing their kid or someone else.

This post is meant to be harsh and pointed to drive my point home. I hope your pissed right now after reading it. Ive read your other threads and seeing some of your other work I can tell you are BETTER THAN THIS! Yank that crap out and do it better.

Dont f**k around when it comes to steering or brakes. You can end up killing people.

Chris
Old 12-24-2007, 08:23 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryHinsz View Post
Does he plan on driving it much? On a safety aspect, converting from a power brake/disc brake set up to a manual brake/disc brake set up will create a stiff pedal requiring much additional leg pressure. Also, with a single stage master cylinder, if it ever fails you will have zero brakes. With a dual, if one stage fails, you still have the other stage to get you stopped. I don't want to see any fall back on you if something goes bad.
It won't be driven really much at all. Says it will be a trailer truck. But I have a dual stage cylinder on order. I couldn't get one in time and the new one will be here late next week after the show.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:25 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHONDAGOD View Post
I have to speak up here even though I mostley lurk. The "offset brake pedal thingy" and having a single piston master cylinder is about as ghetto backwoods half-assed stupid idea as you could get. If I offended you with that comment then good. You should be. I dont bag on people and I enjoy seeing different ideas but my comments are to get your attention.

Steering and brakes are the two things on a car that you ABSOLUTELY CANNOT AND SHOULD NOT BE COMPROMISED ON! You put the driver, passengers and others on the road, at the same time of failure, personal safety on the line.

Again Im not trying to bag on you or call you a hack, but your fabrication of crap like this speaks for itself. If you want to be taken seriously as a fabricator and be respected by people who know the difference, then yank that junk out and do it right. Otherwise your going to end up working on nothing but punk kids cars/trucks who dont know anything different who's parents will end up sueing you and ruining your life when you end up killing their kid or someone else.

This post is meant to be harsh and pointed to drive my point home. I hope your pissed right now after reading it. Ive read your other threads and seeing some of your other work I can tell you are BETTER THAN THIS! Yank that crap out and do it better.

Dont f**k around when it comes to steering or brakes. You can end up killing people.

Chris

I'm actually not offended. I like constructive criticism. I was told the offset linkage would work by a few people. So I ran with it. And it works for now to get the truck on and off the trailer. But I have no problem changing it when ti comes back after the show and making it safe. What would you suggest doing? Just move the whole pedal assembly so it lines up? And then just run a straight push rod? I would probably feel more comfortable with that too. It seems to work the way it is, but I do see your point.
Old 12-24-2007, 08:26 PM
Master Fabricator

Got this thing rolling today. It doesn't drive yet, but will in January. Just needs the wiring harness and valves plumbed. And yes it will go past the pinch. Its dropped to the rocker, but the front doesn't lay (I didn't do it) and its getting re-done in January. Then I will roll the pinch. I figured it looked better laying pinch than sitting nose high.

Love that low floor.

It does a standing 3 wheel with a little weight in the back (about 100 lbs) with the help of the chain bridge, so hopefully with a full tank it will do it. And also if the front airlines weren't T'd. Can't wait to see what it will do while moving.

Old 12-24-2007, 09:35 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Minis View Post
I'm actually not offended. I like constructive criticism. I was told the offset linkage would work by a few people. So I ran with it. And it works for now to get the truck on and off the trailer. But I have no problem changing it when ti comes back after the show and making it safe. What would you suggest doing? Just move the whole pedal assembly so it lines up? And then just run a straight push rod? I would probably feel more comfortable with that too. It seems to work the way it is, but I do see your point.

Look at some of the street rod stuff you could mount the whole thing under the dash in a nice compact unit, some circle track stuff is tiny and neat. Also put a dual master on it, that stuff was left in the 60's for a reason.
Old 12-24-2007, 11:06 PM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:

Again, I made my post blunt to drive the point home. Not baggin on you personally, just trying to make you better. I think thats why we all hang out here anyway.
Thanks for not taking it the wrong way

Not being able to stick my head up under the dash is there any room to re-build the pedal assem to allow a straight push-rod? Looks like the pedal "lever" is zigged over to the right stock anyway, could you make a more "straight" lever and have the upper come into line with the brake master cylinder bore?

Shoot me a pm with a ph# if you want to talk ideas. Sometimes its easier than trying to type ideas out over a couple days.

Chris
Old 12-25-2007, 04:43 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHONDAGOD View Post
Again, I made my post blunt to drive the point home. Not baggin on you personally, just trying to make you better. I think thats why we all hang out here anyway.
Thanks for not taking it the wrong way

Not being able to stick my head up under the dash is there any room to re-build the pedal assem to allow a straight push-rod? Looks like the pedal "lever" is zigged over to the right stock anyway, could you make a more "straight" lever and have the upper come into line with the brake master cylinder bore?

Shoot me a pm with a ph# if you want to talk ideas. Sometimes its easier than trying to type ideas out over a couple days.

Chris

Yeah, there likely is enough room to do so. I'll have to look up under there. I'm waiting to get the dash back however to see how much clearance I have here and there. On my truck I moved the whole pedal assembly, and it sucked. But I will probably just do the same thing to this truck. I just moved the entire mount for the pedal over. Which means I have to make a new support for the steering column, but not that big of a deal. I just need to dash so I know what I build won't stick out of the instrument panel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladderbar View Post
Look at some of the street rod stuff you could mount the whole thing under the dash in a nice compact unit, some circle track stuff is tiny and neat. Also put a dual master on it, that stuff was left in the 60's for a reason.

Yeah I've seen the Kugel kit. I was thinking about Wilwood as well. I don't much like the manual brake idea, but its easy to stop with pretty much no pressure. I know I haven't driven it and that doesn't compare at all to real world. But I have daily driven a vehicle with power brakes, I didn't think it was that bad. I'll judge it when I get it on the road and drive it around the block a few times.

And like I said, I have a dual master on order, its just not here yet. I am trying to talk him into springing for a Wilwood 3/4" bore master instead that is designed for things like this. Not much more than a stock unit costs.
Old 02-23-2008, 01:25 AM
Master Fabricator

Getting back into this thing. New motor mounts for a 1.5" drop. Getting closer to a stock hood.

Old 02-23-2008, 01:53 AM
Master Fabricator

Lightbulb looks good

Quote:
Got this thing rolling today. It doesn't drive yet, but will in January. Just needs the wiring harness and valves plumbed. And yes it will go past the pinch. Its dropped to the rocker, but the front doesn't lay (I didn't do it) and its getting re-done in January. Then I will roll the pinch. I figured it looked better laying pinch than sitting nose high.

Love that low floor.

It does a standing 3 wheel with a little weight in the back (about 100 lbs) with the help of the chain bridge, so hopefully with a full tank it will do it. And also if the front airlines weren't T'd. Can't wait to see what it will do while moving.

Just reminds me of a redneck that has to drive zig-zag around town cause he doesnt have your set up or has a lack of ?????
Old 02-24-2008, 04:29 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Just reminds me of a redneck that has to drive zig-zag around town cause he doesnt have your set up or has a lack of ?????
What??????? What are you trying to say?????
Old 02-24-2008, 04:59 AM
Master Fabricator

Twisted, I see your tigging up a storm
Old 02-25-2008, 04:26 AM
Master Fabricator

Mounts are on.

Stock hood closes. Intake rubs at the very back so it needs a little work. And the oil pan needs to be modified now.
Old 03-01-2008, 04:23 AM
Master Fabricator

I got one control arm welded up so I took some pictures.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:09 PM
Master Fabricator

holy crap you do great work!