Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Old 02-27-2008, 06:04 PM
Master Fabricator

Boyd C. dies at 63

I am sure you guys heard by now, Boyd died this morning at 6:20 in the hospital. No word on cause as of yet.

Sorry for the family loss. Wasn't a big fan of the show for the drama but still a car guy!
Old 02-27-2008, 06:10 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cagedruss View Post
Sorry for the family loss. Wasn't a big fan of the show for the drama but still a car guy!
X2....I hadden't heard this yet....that's too bad.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:56 PM

Wow, simply wow. Even though I'm not building hot rods Boyd was always an insperation to me and so many more people than he ever knew. I wish his family and crew the best in what's to come.

Here's a news article about it.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:17 PM
Fabricator

man that is bad news, i watched the show alot in the begining, but then that bald guy running the shop started to get on my nerves.
very sorry for the loss to his family. i am sure that his contributions to the hot rod industy will not be forgotten.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:09 PM
Master Fabricator

Man that's a bummer. A guy at work and I were just talking about that show and stuff this morning. I think TV added to much drama for the Dewayne dude but it was cool for a little while. I hate that for the family.As a machinist and dealing with ton's of CNC I always had great respect for Boyd and them.
RIP Boyd.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:31 PM
Master Fabricator

One of his employees that knew him well got on The HAMB this morning to post this.

Quote:
Hello all,

It is with a heavy heart that I come on here and write this. I just wanted to stop by and thank everyone for their comments and prayers. A friend told me about this forum and I stopped by last night to read all of the posts, and what I seen made me proud to be a hot rodder. Thank you one and all.

Boyd was a great man, not just because of his accomplishments, but, because of what he believed in and did. I was with him for 8 years and seen the man for who he really was, not what was seen on a TV show or a brief encounter. I can tell you all he truly loved hot rods and enjoyed seeing the cars that folks brought to the many shows we attended. Here's a good example of how he felt, we were at a small show for an appearance. Him and Jo were taking a break before heading out to start signing autographs and hadn't had a chance to see the show yet. I had taken a quick walk around to see some of the cars and when I returned he asked how it was. I made the comment that some of the cars really didn't belong in a car show which quickly brought a response from Boyd. He told me " these guys work hard on their cars and they are proud of them, that's what matters, and it is not for us to judge them but to respect them for the hard work and effort it takes." He of course was right and I knew better, just one of those stupid comments we all make sometimes.

I learned a lot from Boyd over these past 8 years and, although I wish I could have more, I thank God I had the time I did. I am proud to have known and worked for the man and feel very blessed and lucky. He is and always will be a legend in our community, and will be deeply missed.

Again, thank you one and all, and I will pass along the wonderful thing you all have said on here to Jo and the rest of the family and folks at the shop. God bless you.

Todd Emmons
Boyd Coddington's Garage
Old 02-27-2008, 08:59 PM
Fabricator

Boyd was top of the class in car building.Back when i first opened my speed shop,i was selling boyds wheels.I talked to him a few times and you couldn't ask for a better person.Then a few years ago i was at the PRI show and he was there and i finally met him in person we talked for a while and had lunch.He knew his cars and if you listened you could learn alot just from talking to him.After the PRI show we would talk about every month or so on the phone.I will miss him very much as will other peolpe.RIP Boyd.
Old 02-28-2008, 12:05 AM
Master Fabricator

Wow another legend we have lost... I have admired his work since I was a kid reading hotrod mags at even the age of 10. I have a picture of him, myself and Van Halen and they both signed it... I am glad to have shook his hand and learned from him through his work, articles and even his shows...

My heart and payers go to his family and friends...

JOSH
Old 02-28-2008, 01:54 AM
Master Fabricator

Heard last night that he was in pretty bad shape then read that he had died this morning RIP Boyd
Old 02-28-2008, 10:30 AM
Master Fabricator

My wife and I are fans of AHR, I remember maybe two weeks ago we were wondering about when would the next season start... Then came this news flash...

Rest in peace Boyd Coddington, the man and the Legend.

Wonder if Jo will carry on with the shop?

Last edited by Alejoint; 02-28-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:58 PM
Junior Fabricator

Remember when you look up at the clouds in the sky,
that's its Boyd showing God how to do a " Proper Burn-Out ! "
R,I,P
Old 02-28-2008, 02:41 PM
OFN Member

Ya, I heard that...SEMA sent a press release....no cause yet.

I know when I saw him last year at SEMA he did not look very well at all......Here is the SEMA release:

Boyd Coddington, SEMA Hall of Famer and longtime hot-rod industry icon died Wednesday morning at the age of 63.

Recognized worldwide as an automotive designer, builder and fabricator of innovative hot rods, Coddington is credited with being the winningest custom-car builder of all time. His accolades include the prestigious Grand National Roadster Show’s America’s Most Beautiful Roadster trophy—an honor he claimed on seven separate occasions.

“Boyd was a great innovator and entrepreneur. His passion for cars has touched thousands of people and inspired what has grown into a classic American pastime,” said SEMA President and CEO Chris Kersting. “He is among the individuals who helped shape and influence SEMA. His amazing talent will continue to inspire us for many years to come.”

Coddington’s illustrious career began in his backyard garage in 1976 and flourished to include such milestones as having the only hot rod to ever be displayed in the Smithsonian Institution, and having a DuPont production paint, “Boyd Red” named in his honor. Coddington worked with other top designers, including Larry Erickson, Thom Taylor and Chip Foose who, along with Jesse James, worked in Coddington’s shop for a number of years.

A longtime contributor to charitable organizations, Coddington and his wife Jo founded the Coddington Foundation, a non-profit corporation in 2005. The Coddingtons formed the organization exclusively for charitable and educational purposes to provide terminally ill children with a chance to realize their dream of building a hot rod, which were, in turn, auctioned for charity.

In addition to his induction into the SEMA Hall of Fame in 1995, Coddington was also welcomed into the Grand National Roadster Show Hall of Fame, the Route 66 Wall of Fame and the National Rod & Custom Museum Hall of Fame, to name but a few. Hot Rod magazine voted him its “Man of the Year’ in 1988.

Chopworx.com
Old 02-29-2008, 03:00 PM
Master Fabricator

I am not trying to bash him because he is dead, but I am surprised that he was not murdered. He originally was Boyds, but after some time he took all of the money from going public and fled the country. He burned a lot of investors who are friends of my family. He then returned later to open up again as B. Coddington. That venture ended after a "mysterious" fire, and then he collected the insurance money and laid low for a while. His final entity was Boyd Coddington. He did have some really good looking cars roll out of his shop through the years, but that is because he had some big names behind him like Chip Foose. Chip did not leave Boyd because Boyd was a nice guy. Bet you didn't know that there is a second son of Boyd who is a druggy and criminal. He was the driver that crashed the car in the flats that almost killed Mike and messed his face up. It is always interesting to hear what goes on behind the magazines and tv shows that the average person does not get to know. Just thought you should know that there is more to Boyd than what you hear.

Last edited by CoryHinsz; 02-29-2008 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-29-2008, 05:15 PM
Master Fabricator

I met the man two times. The first time was about 15 years ago, and the 2nd time was about 2 years ago, nether meeting was pleasant. Thats all I will say.
Old 02-29-2008, 06:38 PM
Master Fabricator

After awhile the drama on the show turned me off and I quit watching. As for Boyd, what he contributed to the industry cannot be replaced and he will be missed. I do not know anything about his personel life, but he built some awsome cars over the years.

My best to his family and friends and his employees.