Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Old 01-30-2008, 04:23 PM
Master Fabricator

Hot Rod Pickup

I have an early Ford Ranger 2WD that has a rusted cab, I could fix it but I have another Ranger that is in much better condition. So, I have the complete rolling-driving 2WD chassis and I am wondering about replacing the complete body with a Fiberglass replica of a "T" pick up. I haven't done much more then thinking that it would be a Rat-Rod and will see a lot of dirt so fenders would be a good idea. This would be a real back burner low buck build but could be fun...
Anyone done a similar body swap? Glass sources? Frame Dimensions? Kit?
Old 01-30-2008, 08:43 PM
Master Fabricator

Honestly a Ford Ranger frame wouldn't be the best platform to build a hot rod on. The front suspension is a horrible design for any kind of height alteration, and gets a lot of bump steer. It is possible to eliminate the bump steer, but the setup gets quite intricate, and can get expensive. Look at Camburg's site they make a kit for them.

S10 frames are more common swaps, but not generally into T's. Personally, I think it would be easier to build a 2x3 or 2x4 frame, use the Ranger axle, and find a straight axle for the front. Theres not much to it aside from link geometry and caster of the front axle.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:11 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Minis View Post
Honestly a Ford Ranger frame wouldn't be the best platform to build a hot rod on. The front suspension is a horrible design for any kind of height alteration, and gets a lot of bump steer. It is possible to eliminate the bump steer, but the setup gets quite intricate, and can get expensive. Look at Camburg's site they make a kit for them.

S10 frames are more common swaps, but not generally into T's. Personally, I think it would be easier to build a 2x3 or 2x4 frame, use the Ranger axle, and find a straight axle for the front. Theres not much to it aside from link geometry and caster of the front axle.
Yes, to everything you point out.
Except that I've built so many GM-based toys for other people over the years that I'll never own one!

I wouldn't be lowering it. It would have a 30" front tire and a 33" rear and the frame would be sitting at factory ride height. The existing chassis has a 2.3L 5-spd, and I'll splurge for an 8.8 rear axle with a C-clip elim kit and some deep gears. Up to this point I would not have had to buy anything but the gears and tires.
Steering is easy, and we have been beating on the truck for 35,000+miles. In it's current config and have no complaints other then a lack of power. It pulls (averaged over 12,000-miles) 29-MPG (HWY@65-MPH) out of a slightly tweaked engine.
Basically my thought is to leave well enough alone (riiiight) and replace the body with glass and fabricating a basic 6-pt cage.
Even have a Keg for a gas-tank

Somebody used to make a kit for the S10, did they do it for the Ranger?
Or do anybody have basic frame dimensions for the 23-27 PU?
Old 01-30-2008, 09:31 PM
Fabricator

IMO if you will use this truck for playing in the dirt a Ford Ranger is a good choice vesus a chevy s-10, Rangers in stock form will kill any s-10 in the dirt.
The i-beam setup will take lots of pounding and with some gusseting and plating it will take a lot, s-10 a-arms and attachment points are very weak and will break if pushed very little. I have one Ranger I am building now and have owned 4 and ran 37'' tires with stock spindle and never broke one or even trashed any bearings. Go with the Ranger.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:45 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaguy View Post
IMO if you will use this truck for playing in the dirt a Ford Ranger is a good choice vesus a chevy s-10, Rangers in stock form will kill any s-10 in the dirt.
The i-beam setup will take lots of pounding and with some gusseting and plating it will take a lot, s-10 a-arms and attachment points are very weak and will break if pushed very little. I have one Ranger I am building now and have owned 4 and ran 37'' tires with stock spindle and never broke one or even trashed any bearings. Go with the Ranger.
It will probably see 60% Road, 30% dirt, and maybe 10% Sand.
It currently has 4x4-V6 front springs, used RS5000's ft & R, 4x4 sway bars Ft & R, sitting on a set of 15x7 BII steel wheels wrapped in 30-9.50Rx15's and has a factory 4.11 LS rear 7.5 axle, Certainly not a "Prerunner" but it handles well, fly's straight and true in the dunes, and has always been driven home. It just needs a new body and...
Old 01-30-2008, 11:03 PM
Fabricator

If you go with the ranger idea and get bored with lack of power just swap in the 2.3 turbo motor from a t-bird/SVO/Merkur and have lots of fun. Practically bolts in
Old 01-30-2008, 11:05 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleFrannyCustoms View Post
If you go with the ranger idea and get bored with lack of power just swap in the 2.3 turbo motor from a t-bird/SVO/Merkur and have lots of fun. Practically bolts in
Oh, don't even get me started
Old 01-30-2008, 11:32 PM
Fabricator

LOL, come on ... you know you wanna
Old 01-31-2008, 12:05 AM
Fabricator

There are many choices to upgrade Rangers and best starting point is good shocks..... using heim joints on i-beams and radius arms will turn it into a totally new ride for the dirt...gains wheel travel and handling...not cheap but worth it.....the 2.3 turbo is a strong engine but, IMO is not an easy swap unless you have a donor vehicle sitting beside your truck to swap over due to the the electrical side of it...lots of info online but, swapping gears to 4.88 will wake it up also.
Old 01-31-2008, 01:19 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleFrannyCustoms View Post
LOL, come on ... you know you wanna
BTDT, 1977 Ford 2.0L EAO Way to much $$$$ and time in it...
Old 01-31-2008, 01:23 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajaguy View Post
There are many choices to upgrade Rangers and best starting point is good shocks..... using heim joints on i-beams and radius arms will turn it into a totally new ride for the dirt...gains wheel travel and handling...not cheap but worth it.....the 2.3 turbo is a strong engine but, IMO is not an easy swap unless you have a donor vehicle sitting beside your truck to swap over due to the the electrical side of it...lots of info online but, swapping gears to 4.88 will wake it up also.
The Turbo is not dificult, takes time. I'd run an aftermarket ECU, more control. However, that is not the goal in this at all, Low Buck, Fun, Easy on gas, Fun, Easy on parts, Fun, Simple, and Different.

Oh, and did I say FUN
Old 01-31-2008, 03:17 AM
Master Fabricator

If its remaining stock, or being lifted than the Ranger frame will definitely work. The I-beam setup works well for that, and the aftermarket systems are badass.
Old 01-31-2008, 12:02 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
If its remaining stock, or being lifted than the Ranger frame will definitely work. The I-beam setup works well for that, and the aftermarket systems are badass.
That's where it would be. Sorry for any confusion. I actually got the idea looking at an old friends factory original T Pick up. It sits about as high as my 4x4 and the wood wheels and tires have to be 33" diameter.

Performance with the Ranger is ...'ok', but if I lost a bunch of weight...
Hmmm... a Fiberglass Body... I would guess I could lose 400#?

Anyone got the frame dims for a "T"?

Old 02-01-2008, 11:55 AM
Master Fabricator

Basic frame specs:

http://www.wescottsauto.com/site2003C/frame_specs.html
Old 02-01-2008, 06:17 PM
Master Fabricator

Sounds like a fun idea for a low buck toy. What about just a simple, safe tube cage with some aluminum panels for body work...Some of those glass bodies are expensive...
Old 02-01-2008, 06:40 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkuenemann View Post
Sounds like a fun idea for a low buck toy. What about just a simple, safe tube cage with some aluminum panels for body work...Some of those glass bodies are expensive...
This is totally and strictly a wild hair idea at the moment.
I haven't really looked at the costs beyond I can get a basic no door T-bucket body for about $500. I should be able to get about that amount for the existing Ranger parts.
I figure I can cut it and stretch it (I'm 6'6") for nothing. Rad Cover, Hood, Tub, Fenders. The bed I'll fab out of Aluminum. I'm guessing I can do the body for about a grand less Semi-flat black paint. section the ranger bench seat and cover with a blanket. a bit of tube for the cage and side bars.
About the only thing I might splurge on would be Coilovers on the front, mostly for looks.
I'd say maybe $2k total for everything?
Another consideration is that I will be able to licence it as a Hot Rod, which eliminates all the emissions crap, and would allow for fender-less street legal running, and cruzing the local rod runs in something different.

Mostly just because I have always wanted a "T"
Old 02-01-2008, 07:10 PM
Master Fabricator

I wasn't aware there where smog laws in Oregon? We go up to Salem every year for a show and it seems like everyone has a carbed 350 in their trucks.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:02 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
I wasn't aware there where smog laws in Oregon? We go up to Salem every year for a show and it seems like everyone has a carbed 350 in their trucks.
It depends on where you live.
I live in the middle of nowhere so no testing.
I lived in the city and there was testing.
Also depends on the year of the truck.
I know of many people that have 2 engines...
However testing is coming to everywhere sooner or later.
Old 02-12-2008, 11:35 PM
Junior Fabricator

ive got a 25 t pickup cab, i measured it, and its only about 45inches wide and 42inches inside from door to door.dont know the width of a ranger its prolly close. pretty narrow but as far as you being tall theres no leg room but a ton of head room. kinda of a refrigerator box looking cab.lol
Old 02-13-2008, 01:18 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbchops View Post
ive got a 25 t pickup cab, i measured it, and its only about 45inches wide and 42inches inside from door to door.dont know the width of a ranger its prolly close. pretty narrow but as far as you being tall theres no leg room but a ton of head room. kinda of a refrigerator box looking cab.lol
Yup, those numbers are why I'll be going Glass so I can stretch the tub....