Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Old 08-31-2007, 11:55 AM
Junior Fabricator

my vote would be for a turbocharged 01 to 03 c headed 4.6. the heads in 01 changed to a single port insted of a dual runner head. ports are vary effecent and will provide more torque all the way around. in 03 the heads got revised and are a little better but not better enough for the price in my eyes. you can call modular mustang racing or MMR and they can hook you up with a nice built engine for the best price. (ive been looking around) could even get a 5.0 stroker for not much more.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:53 PM
Fabricator

If you're going with an overseas engine, go for a BMW X5 engine. It's a DOHC v8 4.8 Litres 355 hp at the wheels stock. And it is really really high tech.

And there are plenty available, I've seen a lot of X5's that crashed..

Think you'd be able to get one for under $10k.

And here in europe there are a lot of shops that can get you all the nice goodies to make it way faster.

Those X5 engines are really sick. You probably won't want it, but there's a diesel 6 in line version that's a 3 liter, that does 286 hp stock, and the torque is amazing. I recently sat in one and it was crazy
Old 08-31-2007, 05:20 PM
Master Fabricator

I bought a 2004 4.6 northstar motor to put into my 72 chevy truck and after dealing with the cooling system, intake, and the most painfull part of the project(THE TRANSMISSION!!! ) I gave up!!! I bought an LS1 engine, made it carburated and have been happy ever since
Old 09-02-2007, 02:29 AM
Master Fabricator

The Toyota 1UZ 4 litre all alloy quad cam motor is fantastic.

Hi tech to the max.

Drag racers in oz are getting 1,500 hp.

Loacally you can pick them up complete with computer for less tahn $2K.

Last edited by colmiller; 09-02-2007 at 02:30 AM. Reason: forgot
Old 09-02-2007, 01:01 PM
Not quite right

The Mark VIII 4.6 DOHC I belive is going to be the most logical and best bang for the buck for this project.

It's 280hp stock in a 4100lbs. car propels it to high 14's in stock trim, the wiring for the PCM and transmission are easily removed as a unit so it can be transplanted into any application that you deem.

The 93-95 cars are OBD1 and the 96-98 cars are OBD2, the 93-96 cars have the better intake and create a nice smooth power band across the board, although the T-body is located in the rear of the intake, making it more difficult to supercharge this version, the 97-98, do have a more applicable location for hte T-body similatr to the 96-up N/A Cobra's.

The best part about this is that the 1st gen Mark's (93-96) can be had from $500-$1500 on Craig's List all day long, this in it's self pays for the motor, tranny, shifter, cooling fan, radiator, and PCM w/harness', the rest of the car can be parted to pay itself and in most cases produce a profit.

IE: this is a 69k mile car I picked up for $600:

This car took a light hit to the front end causing the air bags to deploy thus "totalling" the car.

The great thing is it's a totally modular design and they come out as a unit in about 45min to an hour (77 nuts and bolts):

The engine will take most of the "bolt-on" goodies that match up with the Cobra motor and really shines when you add boost and/or spray to it, yes this is the TEKSID (italian made) block and is deemed to make 1000hp with the right rotating assy in the bottom end, the Mustang guys seek these blocks out and are willing to pay upwards of $400 for JUST the block itself.

With the addition of the 99-up heads the 03-04 Cobra S/C and lower intake will bolt right on.

You will also see these engines get an amazing 200k+ miles on the clock before having to rebuild/replace them, so don't be scared of an engine with 100k+ miles on it, did I mention 26mpg in the city and 30+mpg on the high way?

Do your research on the 5.4 DOHC, you will see it has an extremely tall intake set-up on it, it'a also really really heavy, you'll get more out of the 4.6 DOHC (bang for buck) than you will the 5.4 DOHC, if the 5.4 was all that and a box of cracker jacks you would see more Mustang guys making the switch (similar to the 2000 Cobra R), but as you can tell it's not happening, and the reports are not as astounding as using the 281 motor.

If bottomend torque is also what you looking for, the 1st gen's make that, the 2nd gen's revised intake takes a lot of that away.

That's my $.02 for whatever it's worth.

Jeff

Last edited by SVO; 09-02-2007 at 01:07 PM.
Old 09-09-2007, 10:01 PM
Master Fabricator

Looks like you might know what you're talking about! I just brought up that 5.4 cause a friend of mine has one in his 93 (???) Cobra with twin Precision SC61's and was making @ 1000 hp with stock cams and heads. I don't know very much about them myself...
Old 09-09-2007, 10:31 PM
Master Fabricator

Cobras?? Anyone interested in,,,,

I'm not sure if this is a right place so please no shooting, but saw a hot rod mentioned then a road car, is anyone interested in a GT-40?? I have 3 bodys, with one on a rolling chassis, that could be pulled out and dumped and a nice tube chassis built, the other two no chassis. I also have a Porsche 356 SC "bath tub" but no doors!!

Title in the GT-40 with the rolling chassis... Picture available if interested.

One of them MK engins sounds pretty nice in a GT???
Old 09-09-2007, 10:53 PM
OFN Member

post some pictures of those mushroom..

Chopworx.com
Old 09-09-2007, 11:15 PM
Master Fabricator

GT-40's

Will do, they are on shop computer will get them in morning Keith.. reading the forum with Youshi's shop, drool drool..

Very talented.
Old 09-09-2007, 11:23 PM
Master Fabricator

GT-40's

I found one pic in this confuser, I can get more in the AM,,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2266.JPG
Views:	133
Size:	173.9 KB
ID:	2523   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2264.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	184.8 KB
ID:	2524  
Old 09-10-2007, 09:16 PM
Master Fabricator

GT-40's

I have not forgotten,, had a Darwin display here today,, when I cut a half inch aluminum bar in two on the lathe,, and when it got to the point of breaking,, I forgot the support on far end, so the lathe took the loose end and smacked some brains into my head!! Ya know hoe a head wound is, blood all over from a scratch... I will not do that again!!

I am rying to get the fork lift out and pull the one 40 with a chassis out in daylight for a photo shoot.. Will post when I get the thing handled.

Sorry

Mike
Old 09-24-2007, 08:53 PM
Junior Fabricator

arao makes heads that are off the shelf but not cheap were talking like 10 K a pair.