Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Offroad Fabrication

Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication

Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication

Old 05-08-2012, 02:23 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
I would ask both Dave's Offroad in Placerville and Marlin. I think both of them have used parts piles and may be able to help.
Asked Marlin already and they apparently don't sell transmission hard parts (gears and shafts) any more. But I will try Dave's. Thanx for the heads up.

Jaysin
Old 05-10-2012, 01:38 PM
Master Fabricator

Any luck with shaft?i'm a bit too far away to help i'm afraid
Old 05-11-2012, 11:00 AM
Master Fabricator

Still no luck for a reasonably priced used shaft. I've called Dave'z a half dozen times this week and left three messages but no return calls. I am going to try one more time today but if I don't hear back I will assume that he doesn't want my business. I can get a new replacement for $155 from my favorite transmission shop but I don't know if that is OEM or China. I haven't checked with Toyota directly but I can't imagine it would be reasonably priced.

So, I'll ask again, anyone out there in TV land got a good used input shaft for a W56 toy gearbox they would be willing to sell me?

(350 Vortec, I'm afraid the shipping from the country of one of the best beers, Guinness, would shoot the reasonable price).

Thanx,
Jaysin
Old 05-11-2012, 03:28 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

How bad is the end chewed up? Got pics? Is it just the stub going into the pilot bearing? You might consider turning it down and pressing a sleeve over it. Or if it's really bad you could weld a new nub on the end and turn that down.

Sorry about Davez. I had good service from them a couple years ago. Maybe they are out wheeling for the week. Sometimes shops like that will disappear for events.

Sometimes you win. Sometimes you learn.

Last edited by TheBandit; 05-11-2012 at 03:55 PM.
Old 05-15-2012, 05:22 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysinSpaceman View Post

(350 Vortec, I'm afraid the shipping from the country of one of the best beers, Guinness, would shoot the reasonable price).

Thanx,
Jaysin
Yeah i guess,got quotes for Jd Dies recently!!!could fly over myself for less!!
Oh Jasin-Guninness is the best Beer(stout) in the world
Old 05-17-2012, 02:58 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Calling those out there with spare Toyota parts.

So I decided to rebuild the W56 gear box myself and it really isn't a difficult job as far as transmissions go but I did find that at one time the pilot bearing in the clutch must have frozen and it did a number on the input shaft. Now I could probably do all sorts of crazy repairs and make it work but I figured I would ask if anyone out in TV land might have a good input shaft they would part with?

So...

Does anyone have a Toyota W56 transmission input shaft with 32 good teeth? I'd happily give a reasonable price for it and pay shipping.

Thanx,
Jaysin

P.S. I posted my request in the wanted section too.
Just checked my parts pile, all my input shafts are from R series trannys...

They are easy to rebuild (and good choice by the way!), I doubt you will have any issues. If you have any questions and can't get through to marlin or anyone else, feel free to PM me, I might be able to help.

Cool build by the way. I like how it is not the same as the typical toyota out there!
Old 05-22-2012, 11:49 PM
Master Fabricator

Rogue,

Thanx for looking for the input shaft for me.

-------------------------------------------------------------

I went ahead and did like Bandit suggested and turned the pilot down (had to use carbide tooling cuz that b!tc# was hard) and then I pressed on a piece of stainless and turned it to size. Hopefully that will work.

I was going to start assembling it today but ran into an issue with the output seal. The Toyota factory gasket set had the wrong size seal and when I went to the parts house their seal was wrong too. I called Marlin and supposedly their seal is right so now I am kind of waiting on that, although I will probably go as far as I can tomorrow.

Hopefully I will start to make some progress on this project again soon.

Jaysin
Old 05-23-2012, 12:23 PM

Did you take any photos during the repair process? I don't think that pilot stub would see a lot of load, so you should be fine. How much did you take off the OD of the original stub?

Old 05-23-2012, 12:28 PM
Master Fabricator

Don't use a roller pilot bearing.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:36 PM
Master Fabricator

I didn't take any photos but basically I removed about .080" from the diameter of the pilot stub and then pressed on a piece of 1/2" dia. stainless rod and turned that back down to the needed 12mm diameter. I have to say that the material of the shaft was harder then a whore's heart, but once I used some carbide tooling I had (bought from a garage sale several years back) it cut fairly well. I really don't think it will be any problem as the pilot shaft only gives a wee bit of support to the input shaft and it only gives that support when the clutch is disengaged (ie. not transferring power) so there isn't much load at all really.

Jaysin
Old 05-23-2012, 12:39 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Don't use a roller pilot bearing.
The original Toyota used a ball bearing and it was this ball bearing that scored the shaft in the first place when it failed. With my adaption of the VW diesel it will now have an oilite bronze bushing instead of a bearing.

Jaysin
Old 05-23-2012, 12:41 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
The original Toyota used a ball bearing and it was this ball bearing that scored the shaft in the first place when it failed. With my adaption of the VW diesel it will now have an oilite bronze bushing instead of a bearing.

Jaysin
Perf

Old 05-23-2012, 01:35 PM

I never really understood why they used a ball bearing there from the factory when a plain bushing should have done just fine.

Old 05-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
I never really understood why they used a ball bearing there from the factory when a plain bushing should have done just fine.
The true cost of the vehicle is what the factory can charge for maintenance.

The reason the engine loads in through he bottom of the car is...
It costs just slightly less to instal it at the factory and it doubles the maintenance costs. Smaller shops do not want to deal with it and so the factory gets more $$... You can thank the Bean-counters in every case.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:14 PM
Master Fabricator

Well in truth This gearbox rebuild was much easier then I expected. The FSM shows a bunch of special service tools needed and I thought I might be up shit creek at some point in this rebuild but it really wasn't the case. I did need to make some longer arms for my puller and I needed a couple of lengths of tube for pressing bearings. The only things that are (at least in my mind) absolutely needed is at least 5 ton press and various thicknesses of flat bar to press bearings and gears on and off and a two or three arm puller.

The box now feels smooth and tight and shifts like a pro (at least on the bench). I found a Marlin rebuild kit on fleabay and I would recommend their kits to anyone that wanted to tackle this on their own. You will absolutely need the Factory Service Manual (can be found on the web for free) as well as there is a specific order to the disassembly and assembly and several interlock pins and thrust clearances that might be missed without it. And if you have never rebuilt a manual transmission before and/or are not Very mechanically inclined I might not tackle these Toyota transmissions as your first rebuild without help.

I didn't take any pictures because there really wasn't anything out of the ordinary and it's very hard to pick up a clean camera with oily hands (at least a camera that you want to continue to function for long).

Now I just need to decide if I want to rebuild the transfer case as well. I am leaning toward at least re-seal and re-gasket because it was pretty greasy and dirty. Plus the output shaft has just a wee bit of play that I don't really like.

So that is that for this installment. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Jaysin

Last edited by JaysinSpaceman; 05-23-2012 at 11:17 PM. Reason: sPulin' were bad.
Old 05-24-2012, 10:23 PM
Junior Fabricator

I like this build. I'll be following along. Nice choice on the diesel.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:04 AM
Master Fabricator

So time again for an update. I have been very busy with a large work project fabricating a bunch of stainless steel grating for a public building, this is the reason for the complete lack of updates.

First up, while delivering the grating down to LA area I picked up my VW TDI engine. It looks like this...

And of course I had to bolt up the adapter for the W56 gearbox.

Just because I haden't posted a picture of the rebuilt gearbox here it is.

And this is a picture of the Bosch VE Cummins 4bt injector pump I will be adapting to the engine to make it completely mechanical. Gets rid of the computer controls.

I thought I would give you an Idea of just how tiny this engine is. Compare a beer can to the size of the tiniest turbo I think I have ever seen on an engine for a car.

And this last picture for tonight is of the transmission and transfer case mount I just cut out of some 5/16" plate I had. I still have to bend it up and weld on a few things. The W56 is about 4 3/4" longer then the L series that came out but because of the much smaller TDI engine I wanted to move it forward 2" so the offset in the new mount only moves the gearbox backwards by 2 3/4" or so. I will post more of this as it gets finished up.

That's it for the updates tonight but now that I have a bit more free time I will hopefully have some more regular updates.

Thanx for following along at home,
Jaysin
Old 07-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Master Fabricator

Thank you to whoever is removing the 42 cubic butt loads of spam that attacked last night.

THANX!!!!
Jaysin
Old 07-07-2012, 09:25 PM
Master Fabricator

What I did today...

The last one is the test fit which is sort of rough because I don't yet have the engine bolted up but it seems to fit nice and close to the bottom of the cab. Once the engine is bolted to the gearbox I will know whether I will need to make any changes. I will just have to trim a wee bit around the shifters and I'll be able to use the factory shifter boots and trim ring.

Thanx for peeping,
Jaysin

Last edited by JaysinSpaceman; 07-08-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:02 PM
Master Fabricator

Looking forward to seeing that 4bt pump job