Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Offroad Fabrication

Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication

Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication

Old 02-05-2012, 05:33 PM
Master Fabricator

It is really hard to see in the pix. I don't think I'll have any problems with it.

Thanx for double checking for me though.
Jaysin
Old 02-07-2012, 01:15 PM
Master Fabricator

Soooooo...

Have you thought about using a bit of SPAM for lubrication of the slider

Note:
This really made more sense when there was a bit of lunch meat in the now missing post above this one

Last edited by entropy; 02-14-2012 at 02:24 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 02:09 PM
Master Fabricator

How is this project going? I am excited to see this unfold. I want to build something similar in the future. Love these trucks.
Old 03-05-2012, 11:42 PM
Master Fabricator

I was hoping that this project was going along smoothly.
Old 03-06-2012, 01:56 PM
Master Fabricator

I'll try to get a few pictures this afternoon as the weather clears up. I haven't gotten a lot done as paying work has been coming in but I have accomplished a bit.

Thanx for asking,
Jaysin
Old 03-06-2012, 08:56 PM
Master Fabricator

This is really only a very small update as I have had a fair amount of paying work to do and not a lot of extra time to get on with this project.

The spring slider boxes have been aligned and their mounting plates tacked in place and the front springs installed so the axle placement can be finalized and I can place the IFS steering box for the crossover steering. The spring slider bolts are not in place here as I still have to purchase 5.5" long 1/2" grade 8 bolts.

The springs are rears up front, made from the original 83 rears and a set of 89 rears. A total of 6 leafs. I used an industrial stick on UHMW sheet material between the ends of all the leafs to aid in lowering friction, we will see how it holds up.

Here are the front spring hangers for the 63" Chevy springs I am using in the rear, just tacked on. I have not yet finalized the rear hanger for these springs as I want to get the new engine in and the flatbed built before I design the sliders.

Lastly I pulled this W56 from my friend's 4runner and helped him install his R151. I would bet it needs a rebuild as it has loads of miles on it. I have rebuilt several manual transmissions in the past but I have heard that these W56s are a pain to rebuild and better left to professionals, is there any truth to this? Has anyone out in TV land rebuilt a W56, easy or hard?

So there it is, not much but it is progress. I have a big job in the works and if it goes through I will likely not have much forward progress for a month or so, but I will resume again as soon as I can. If I get a little done here and there I will be sure to post it up.

Thanx,
Jaysin

P.S. If you've rebuilt a W56 hit me up and let me know how easy/hard it was.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:16 PM
Master Fabricator

So no one one here has rebuilt a W56 Toyota transmission? I suppose that no one would have a good Idea as to where to get a decent deal on a good quality rebuild kit then either?

Oh well,
Jaysin
Old 03-13-2012, 12:39 AM
Junior Fabricator

W56 is not the easiest to rebuild not impossible either. I went thru Marlin Crawler for my rebuild kit. I am not the fastest with the manual transmissions but i did mine in a day.
Old 03-13-2012, 01:16 AM
Junior Fabricator

I have access to factory manuals. Ask away if I can help.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:27 PM
Master Fabricator

Thanx for the replies guys. I haven't yet decided what direction I am going to go with the transmission. I have a big work project coming up and probably wont have the time to do it for a while so I might just have ti rebuilt in the name of forward progress. We'll see though.

Thanx
Jaysin
Old 05-02-2012, 11:43 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

I would give Marlin Crawler a call for the rebuild parts. They aren't the cheapest, but I'm pretty sure you'll find mostly high quality OEM parts in their kit.

Regarding the slider box placement, how did you determine where to mount it front-to-rear? I was thinking for maximum useful travel, you might measure the eye-to-eye along the arch length via string, then place the box so that the rear of the slider travel is about that distance from the front perches.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:58 AM
Master Fabricator

Clint,

That is essentially exactly what I did for the placement of the slider box. I gave about 1/2" clearance to the end of the slot if the spring is compressed flat, theoretically I shouldn't need that clearance but I know if I only give it an 1/8" clearance it will bang or bind or something. Just Murphy's Law and I have slowly learned to give Murphy a little slack so he won't kick my ass.

I haven't had time to work on it lately but I hope to soon and I will post up my progress. I need to order some transmission kit so that I can work on the trans in the evenings and make a bit of progress.

Jaysin
Old 05-03-2012, 03:35 AM
Master Fabricator

Those G Box's are very reliable ,why not try it first?rebuild would be very expensive,any idea of mileage on it?
Old 05-03-2012, 10:04 AM
Master Fabricator

"G box"? The trans that the truck came with is the L52 and the trans I picked up is a W56. One reason for the swap is that the W56 simply shifts far better, then there's the strength of the W over the L. Then there is also the length, the W box is like 4.5" longer then the L and that means a longer front drive shaft which will help with the drive shaft angles. As for rebuilding the L box, the counter shaft has some serious issues, every gear except 4th goes bang pop grind bang etc... 4th goes straight through the main shaft, doesn't load the counter shaft. I don't even want to know what a new counter shaft costs for a 29 year old Toyota.

Jaysin
Old 05-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysinSpaceman View Post
I don't even want to know what a new counter shaft costs for a 29 year old Toyota.

Jaysin
It costs a 700R4 (2.8-Bell) and connects to a NP242 via a Black Box
Old 05-04-2012, 03:59 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysinSpaceman View Post
"G box"? The trans that the truck came with is the L52 and the trans I picked up is a W56. One reason for the swap is that the W56 simply shifts far better, then there's the strength of the W over the L. Then there is also the length, the W box is like 4.5" longer then the L and that means a longer front drive shaft which will help with the drive shaft angles. As for rebuilding the L box, the counter shaft has some serious issues, every gear except 4th goes bang pop grind bang etc... 4th goes straight through the main shaft, doesn't load the counter shaft. I don't even want to know what a new counter shaft costs for a 29 year old Toyota.

Jaysin
Gear Box,sorry-thats what we call em when they are full of gears,Auto box is usually called a Trans here-anyway,yes you are fitting the W and i presume you know it's condition,i'd be looking for a good used replacement myself,more plentifull here though i'm guessing(although bearings may be the only parts needed?) awh just strip it and post pics
Old 05-04-2012, 12:18 PM
Master Fabricator

Gear Box, now I get it. You said "G box" I thought you meant the G series Toyota transmission. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

I just got a Marlin rebuild kit, bearings, syncros, thrust washers, etc... so I will be disassembling and freshening it up. I know the condition, as far as it shifted and sounded just fine in the truck it came out of, but it also had 220,000 miles on it and I don't just want to slap it in and have to take it out again in 5000 miles to fix it. That is the reason for wanting to "rebuild" it.

Jaysin
Old 05-05-2012, 04:58 PM
Master Fabricator

Carb Toyotas had G series transmissions weaker and cheaper, until I think 95.5 then came the G-58 trannys. Jayson, your W-56 could be B, C or D series. But, I know that its not an A series. Ws are strong transmissions, not as strong as the Rs though.

Last edited by KyTrash; 05-05-2012 at 05:02 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:18 PM
Master Fabricator

Calling those out there with spare Toyota parts.

So I decided to rebuild the W56 gear box myself and it really isn't a difficult job as far as transmissions go but I did find that at one time the pilot bearing in the clutch must have frozen and it did a number on the input shaft. Now I could probably do all sorts of crazy repairs and make it work but I figured I would ask if anyone out in TV land might have a good input shaft they would part with?

So...

Does anyone have a Toyota W56 transmission input shaft with 32 good teeth? I'd happily give a reasonable price for it and pay shipping.

Thanx,
Jaysin

P.S. I posted my request in the wanted section too.

Last edited by JaysinSpaceman; 05-07-2012 at 08:37 PM.
Old 05-07-2012, 10:59 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

I would ask both Dave's Offroad in Placerville and Marlin. I think both of them have used parts piles and may be able to help.