Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Old 03-28-2015, 10:50 PM
Master Fabricator

Got a couple hours today between my daughters Irish dancing and soccer game.

Pulled the trunk, tail lights, rear bumper and top off so I now have a mini pickup...

Dan
Old 03-30-2015, 11:42 AM
Master Fabricator

Found the exh manifold and turbo this weekend. Also realized that I apparently did not have the whole shifter in place when I started on the downpipe a few years ago.

Mounted the smoked headlights and grille. Also planned out wire routing and punched a couple holes here and there to get wires thru the fender area into the cabin.

Found this between the shifter and ebrake lever. Its no TVR dick bomb, but fun to find anyway.

Then last night I pulled out the ebrake and shifter and spent a couple hours with some APC, rags, and a brush and cleaned the hell out of the back seat and trunk areas. Now maybe I wont get dirty just looking inside.

Dan
Old 04-06-2015, 09:07 AM
Master Fabricator

Behind a couple days of updates. Time to catch up.

Decided I didnt like the open bracket for the brake booster. Welded a plate to the top of the bracket. In order to be able to still mount it I had to drill a couple large holes in the back of the bracket to access the booster nuts and move the top stud from the steering column to the booster bracket. Ill snap a pic of it in place soon, I keep forgetting.

Clearance holes on open bracket

Welded and ground with new mounting stud

Mounted up (obv taken before the stud move)

Stud removed from column. Its fairly easy to access from the inside.

Next, I tacked the water pipe for the heater core return. Cleaned all of the threaded studs off of it and welded up two nipples that Im not going to use vs just capping them. I pressure tested it to ~30psi, no leaks. I also tweaked the position of it a little to better line up with the hoses on the firewall.

Not perfect but powder coat should hide the rest.

Finally I redid the downpipe to actually clear the shifter, rack and alxe. (Note: pic taken only with ambient shop lighting :))

Next update on wed am.

Dan
Old 04-08-2015, 09:04 AM
Master Fabricator

Decided I didnt like the factory feed for the heater core so I whipped up my own. Plus I wanted a way to T water to the turbo without using a hose barb T and clamps (Im a sucker for AN fittings). My main motivation for running water to the turbo was to have an alternate water path for when the heater core feed is shut off. I figure if I was just going to put an alternate path in I may as well make some use of it.

Cut the flange on my bandsaw and cleaned up the edges on the disc sander. The tube is a piece of 3/4" sanitary tubing I bought on ebay for $20.

Still need to machine the bungs to fit around the tube, but thats the idea of where they are going and explains why the one tube is longer than the other. Im still debating if I need a mounting bracket along the length of the new tube.

Dan
Old 04-08-2015, 09:29 AM
Master Fabricator

Nicely done. You and I are working on essentially the same stuff. There are a million ways to plumb water to an engine, and you can drive yourself nuts trying to find the one that works!
Old 04-08-2015, 09:33 AM
Master Fabricator

Thanks. And you got that right regarding a million ways.

I didnt include the two nights I just started at this thing. If it was purely function over form this would be easy. Alas Im trying to do function, form, and simplicity on this project. So far so good I think. Luckily there is no timeline which is keeping the project fun. Not to mention I was pretty burned out doing construction on the building.

Dan
Old 04-10-2015, 09:08 AM
Master Fabricator

Machined a couple of -6 bungs for the turbo water lines yesterday at lunch.

And welded them on last night. I also put a few weld dots at the end of the stainless tube to help retain the hose since I cant bead it.

Then I dug through my stash and luckily found a 2.5" 90* bend so I was able to finish up the downpipe. I still need to add an O2 sensor bung and a vband at the other end. Certainly not my best welding, but whatever, it had great penetration and will be coated and wrapped.

I will definitely need to do some heat shielding for the rack and shifter.

I also received the correct shifter bracket for the manual rack and a few more fittings from my Jegs order, which is apparently coming in 5 separate shipments.

Dan
Old 04-15-2015, 12:51 PM
Master Fabricator

Had an hour last night so I started working on the short shifter. Yes, I realize this looks like the long shifter, but its not. So far so good, just need to drill a few holes and it should be set.

Compared to stock

Dan
Old 04-17-2015, 11:32 AM
Master Fabricator

Finished up the shifter bracket; holes drilled and I re-welded and smoothed out the shaft/bracket joint. Also a sneak peak of the new linkages Im starting.

Routed the fuel lines. The soft lines will connect to hard lines just above floor level near the firewall. I will probably nutsert the body for the hold downs vs just the screws I was using for the mockup.

Welded -8 fittings to the oil cooler adapter and got the lines made.

Dan
Old 04-17-2015, 01:15 PM
Master Fabricator

Looks good! Good call on the nutserts. I hate sheet metal screws with a passion!
Old 04-17-2015, 01:27 PM
Master Fabricator

I half hoped the metal would be thick enough to tap, NOPE.

Trying hard to get everything mounted, secured, ect BEFORE paint...... :everythingcrossed:

Dan
Old 04-24-2015, 09:58 AM
Master Fabricator

Finally got a start on the strut tower brace. I didnt like anything prefabed so why not make my own.

I machined the vertical pieces at the ends out of 7/8" bar stock. The bottom side is tapped so I can bolt it in from the bottom vs using hollow tubing and bolts on top. Naturally I had to press the studs out of the strut bearings.

The tubes are 3/4" mild steel that I put a slight bend in with a friends tubing roller and notched with my pos HF notcher.

Im planning on making a dimple die'd sheet steel web to go between the two tubes. Likely get to that sunday night.

Also started on a shift weight and got all the parts in for the upgraded shift linkages.

Dan
Old 04-27-2015, 09:35 AM
Master Fabricator

Made a bit more progress on the strut bar. Got the sheet metal cut out, drilled, dimpled, and welded in. What a total pain that was. I had to move a pile of clamps 26 times, once for each weld. Took almost 2 hours. I just need to finish weld the mounting ends on tomorrow night then I can take it for coating.

Also finished up the new shift linkage rods including a shift weight that I made on the lathe at work. Ive seen some people just use threaded rod, but I think it looks stupid, so I bought and threaded some 8mm rod instead. The ball ends are 13mm to mate with the OEM ball mounts. Obviously I need to add two for the shift weight rod as it just used bushings in holes originally.

I think thats just about all the fab I need to do before I can start stripping the whole car down to finish any welding and start stripping undercoating etc.

Dan
Old 04-27-2015, 03:28 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

I wish I had just a fraction of the talent or time you seem to have. Excellent work as always.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:35 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
I wish I had just a fraction of the talent or time you seem to have. Excellent work as always.
Thanks! I wish I got more sleep. lol

Last thrusday I decided I was close enough to pull the motor and trans back out. Also removed the doors. Probably get back to the engine bay work in a week.

I dropped the strut tower brace off for powder monday.

Accidentally ruined the radiator cover trying to shear 1/8" off the edge (forgot about the damn feet on the shear that holds the metal). Anyway thought Id try my hand at forming a radius bend at the corner of it vs having it square. Not bad for a first attempt. Rev 2 will feature this.

Bronze bushings showed up monday. Had to turn the larger ones down a little on the lathe to fit in the selector bracket. Just need to come up with a couple spacers. So now the whole shifter mechanism is rubber bushing / grommet free.

Got tired of having a whole car spread out on various benches, the floor etc so I whipped up this rolling rack last night. I just happen to have 12 2x4s, 2 sheets of plywood and a spare set of casters off my one HF tool box laying around. SO much better. (Yes, I really need to organize my scrap metal )

Dan
Old 05-08-2015, 12:52 PM
Master Fabricator

Got the strut tower brace back from powder. Its a textured, flat, red.

Dan
Old 05-17-2015, 03:48 PM
Master Fabricator

I've been following this since you revived the thread. I clicked on it because I was thinking a cabriolet was an old Pontiac car but then I realized I was thinking of the Catalina... To be honest I wouldn't have looked at this because of lack of interest in VW cars but I've changed my mind. I can't explain why but I love this build! Can't wait to see it done!
Old 05-22-2015, 09:03 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.S.F.W View Post
I've been following this since you revived the thread. I clicked on it because I was thinking a cabriolet was an old Pontiac car but then I realized I was thinking of the Catalina... To be honest I wouldn't have looked at this because of lack of interest in VW cars but I've changed my mind. I can't explain why but I love this build! Can't wait to see it done!
haha. Thanks! I hope it turns out as good as I envision it.

Got a good start on the lower core support last night.

Before

After (just tacked so far)
The random hole to the right of the front motor mount is for the rad fan wiring.

Decided I didnt like my oil cooler mount, so I started on something new. I really want to stop at this, but I think the weight of the cooler full will be to much without more support. Still thinking it over. The idea here is to nutsert the core support, thread this in and jamb nut it. Then thread the other end to bolt to the cooler.

Dan
Old 06-01-2015, 09:08 AM
Master Fabricator

Front and rear suspension removed. About all thats left on it now is the windshield, rear side windows and gas tank.

Also got a good start on the tiptisserie.

Dan
Old 06-01-2015, 11:18 AM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Tiptisserie - I love it! I assume you're building for 90 degrees in either direction? How will you "lock" it at the desired tip angle?