Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > In The Shop

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

Old 09-06-2017, 09:39 PM
Master Fabricator

Overhead hoistq

This is a bit new for me. I usually over build everything however this time I am looking for what will work. I have a need to pick up and move window unit air conditioners from a pallet to a table. I used to accomplish this using a lift table but I ain't as young as I used to be. The biggest units come in at about 200 pounds. I could see me maybe picking up a jeep axle with it to get it on the bench.

Way I see it I have two options.

First a jib style crane that I would attach to one of the 6x6 posts that hold the pole building up. Would require minor modifications and I have a 12 foot 4 inch I beam that might work.

Secondly and more light duty is using a overhead door trolley to hang the hoist on. The biggest issue with this is where I need it is right in the middle of 2 trusses. They are set on 10 foot centers so the only option there would be to span the 2 trusses. I really am not concerned about hanging a couple hundred pounds off a 2x4 truss, but I also don't want it on my head.

Any recommendations?
Old 09-07-2017, 07:38 AM
Master Fabricator

The only advice I have is be careful. The forces involved with hoisting even fairly light loads can be impressive, and certainly enough to damage your building.

Jib cranes usually have a pretty large amount of concrete in their base to keep them from tipping over, and aren't necessarily anchored to the building walls. A guy that I bought some machine tools from had a 1 ton jib that he bought pretty cheap at auction. The expensive part was the 3' x 3' x 3' cube of concrete that it was anchored to.

This is rated to lift what you're looking to do if you had something good to anchor it to:

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...4aAkWzEALw_wcB
Old 09-07-2017, 02:34 PM
Master Fabricator

I agree regarding attaching things to the building.

I actually have a crane similar to the one you posted. Unfortunately what I need to lift from and to is out on the floor of my shop 10-12 feet away from the walls. I would hate to mount something out in the way like that. Course if I could rig something up that I could move with the pallet jack, it could work.
Old 09-07-2017, 04:42 PM
Master Fabricator

Northern has jib cranes for pole mounting for ideas.

Are your posts exposed?

I would think a jib crane would be the best bet for such a small load.

If the posts are exposed Id make brackets that wrap around, rather than screw to the posts.
Old 09-07-2017, 09:26 PM
Master Fabricator

They are exposed and I agree, figured if I went that way a sandwich bracket would be the way to go!
Old 09-11-2017, 06:57 PM
Master Fabricator

Red face

This getting old is not fun!!

What about a Hydraulic Service cart we use them all the time for 600 pound welders .

Just find one that drops as low as the pallet .

Slide it on your good to go

In fact you could work right from the service cart .

then to do the welding
Old 09-12-2017, 07:26 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Have you consider making a rolling electric crane? Basically a powered engine hoist like this: https://youtu.be/k7dTnwQwj8U?t=3m49s

There are lots of ways you could design something like that. You could make it a fixed boom and just run a winch with a pull/cable over the end. You could put casters on all 4 locations to make it easy to roll around / position. You could also do a rolling gantry type lift. Any of those options would allow a lot of mobility so you wouldn't be stuck on tracks or to a specific area of your shop.

Sometimes you win. Sometimes you learn.