Progress has been slow as of late as I am still waiting on the poweder coat stuff to come back. Now they are saying thrusday, oh well.
I did have a chance to get the new foam put on the doors of the vents and get them all back together as well as clean up a few more interior plastic parts. I think all I have left is the various dash switches and the column trim and a few parts around the top near the back seat.
Cleaned up dash pieces
The dirtiest window switches ever, even dirty inside.
and cleaned up
I also painted the edges and hub section of the new rotors, the tops of the new strut mounts and the ball joints. Hopefully to keep things from rusting as long as possible.
I just need to fix the one brake line and clean up the other fender well before thursday and I should be able to get alot of the new suspensin and brakes in by the weekend.
Picked up a few goodies today. All but the front strut tubes which will be ready sat am. Im hoping to have it all back together sunday.
Finally some more progress. Sunday I got the new wheel bearings pressed in as well as the control arm bushings. I got some stuff on the car but didnt get any pics until today.
Today I finally picked up the strut tubes from powder. They coulndt match the bilstein yellow exactly, but its close enough considering how far awaay the rears are. I also got both strut assemblies together, both control arms on, passs side complete brakes and new ss braided line on, both struts in, and the sway bar on.
The damn swaybar had no grease left in the bushigns at all, if fact I almost had to use a pair of pliers to get the center ones moving again. A little prothane grease and all is well again.
I did run into a snag. One of the rubber boots in the new caliper is wrong. The damn guide pin wont fit thru worth a ****. So I need to order anoter caliper and pull the boot out of it and return it. Also I keep forgettig to order the new tie rods so thats on tomorrows list with the caliper.
I still need to put the axles in and do the final ball joint bolting. With any luck Ill have the car back on the ground and out of the garage on sunday.
A little bit of news on this, no real progress tho.
I picked up a 2.0 16v saturday to swap in. I was thinking about doing an aba swap, but this seemed like a better idea :shrugs: At $250 bux for everything I couldnt complain
Also I think I decided on a color scheme for the car. I had a buddy pchop a silver cabby (sorry to whoever's pic I stole :))
I decided to just pull the motor now, since Im doing the swap eventually anyway, and I dont need the car done for summer as my wifey can drive the Avant now.
Plus I need the room in my garage to work on a buddys car etc.
Im so glad I pulled it now, what a fn disaster the engine bay is.
I think Im going to do a bit of shaving on the engine bay, keeping the wiper box etc, but at least patch up any unused holes etc.
More to come, probabably in a couple weeks.
Wow, its been a while since I posted anything, since well I havent done anything.
Earlier this week I pressure washed the engine bay, sicne I happened to have the pwasher out etc.
It cleaned up pretty decent for how caked on the grease and dirt was.
Started cleaning up the 16V. I got most of the accessoires etc stripped off and spent about 2 hours tonight scraping and cleaning off the super thick layer of oil/dirt/whatever.
Coming along slow but sure.
After some cleaning.
Sine Im going to use ITBs and wanted to swap to a serp belt setup, and non a/c ABA brackets are nearly impossible to come by, I came up with my own setup.
I got an ABA alternator from my buddies yard for $20. Eventually it will need to be pulled apart and blasted etc.
I machined a block to mount the top of the alternator over the waterpump housing, utilizing the top two bolts. Then came up with an adjustable link, attached to the ps pump bracket, using some spacers that I turned on the lathe at the alternator end.
The belt is a 33" Dayco (01 Infinity Q45 waterpump belt). The crank pulley is the ebay underdrive pulley that I machined the V belt drive off the front and 1/2" off the back. It lines up nicely with the VR6 waterpump pulley that I pulled off my old GTI motor.
I dont have any competed shots of it out of the car yet (since I dropped the motor in quick on sunday to measure for the radiator and oil coolers).
All of the pictures can be found here: http://clubhousecustoms.com/co...m.php
A few highlights:
My first mockup out of wood.... easier to cut than aluminum.
First pass with the aluminum (I forgot to add extra to the one dim, hence the washers).
The adjustable link and spacers.
All put together using a junk 5rib belt from our Audi, cut and taped together
Installed on the motor with the real belt and the extra parts of the ps bracket machined off, cleaned up, blasted etc. Also the Rev2 top bracket is in there now, notice no more washers.
I will probably pull the motor back out tonight, then I can get some better shots of the entire setup.
Next, once the custom 36-1 trigger wheel Im having waterjet cut arrives I will be mounting that to the back of the crank pulley and working on the mount for the VR sensor.
Also I got the GSXR TBs in a couple weeks ago and have begun to mod them. Pics soon of that project.
All for now.
So I havent updated this in a LONG time. I was planning on running ITBs, which I spent a decent amount of time on, but recently decided to do a mild turbo setup instead.
Anyway, Im going to try to get this post up to speed by posting in some updates I did on a local forum. It might read a little funny, but after this post I will start updating this regularly.