Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Race Car Fabrication

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Old 01-13-2016, 12:58 AM
Master Fabricator

2G Eagle Talon Track Car

So here we go, my first project build on here since 2009. This is my current build that is now about 4 months old, has changed twice now for platform generations. It all started with a free car to give away ad on our local Facebook car group page. 1992 1st gen Eagle Talon, AWD, 2.0 turbo. It needed a few things but it didn't take long she was on the road and i was having a blast with it. It wasn't to much longer that a friend seen that i had this thing so he brought to my attention one that he had. He owns a local scrap yard and here was a 98 eagle talon that was hardly molested and the price was right. I am a much bigger fan of the body style of the second gen vs the 1st gens. The only issue was the engines in the second gens were prone to crank walk and i just so happened to have a 1st gen engine to swap it out with lol. Swapped it out and did some interior mods to personalize it and started the process of slowly building it while i drove it. That of course came to an end here not to long ago when the engine had a filter housing malfunction and dumped all the oil out on my going to work on a busy highway. We made the decision then that we would get me a new car and this could become just a project car, not a daily as well. Let the pics ensue.

First gen car. it was rough body wise and i managed to squeeze some 225/18 with stiffening the suspension.

The 2g 1998 eagle Talon, AWD, turbo

The motor swap

The dash i built little while ago

The current state, partial tear down, getting ready for a cage.

This is where i will leave it so i can give more details for each segment of the build. lots of personal touches, one off things i want to incorporate.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:08 AM
Master Fabricator

I have always loved driving AWD cars, so much grip. Is it true AWD or that Split drive where is mostly FWD with a little RWD thrown in to help? Who was the manufacturer of the engine and drivetrain in the Talon, Chrysler?

I assume that this is the car in question about the used cage. I am going to advise you to not cut this roof off to stick a complete cage in. Unibody cars use the roof as an integral part of the structure. I know that the cage will help that but... and it is a big BUT. The pillars at the corners of the roof are likely a minimum of 2 layers and more likely 3 or 4 layers of structure under the skin. Unless you can get to each layer to completely repair it after it's cut off you will make the chassis weaker then the cage will make it stronger. I think that you need to cut the cage apart or better yet build a new one that fits the car from scratch.

I can't wait to see your progress. Lots of pictures please.

Jaysin
Old 01-13-2016, 10:29 AM
Master Fabricator

Pretty sure the powertrain in these was done by Mitsubishi. If I remember correctly, the Talon, the Dodge Stealth, and the Mitsubishi Eclipse all shared a platform around this time.
Old 01-13-2016, 10:53 AM
Master Fabricator

That's kind of what I was thinking but I couldn't remember for sure. Eagle was fairly short lived as far as Car Manufacturers go so I was figuring that the platform must have been from something that was more well supported in the aftermarket.

Jaysin
Old 01-13-2016, 04:18 PM
Master Fabricator

Yes the drivetrain was manufactured by mitsu, almost all parts interchange from one another in relation to the 2 generations of the dsm (diamond star motors)partnership. The plymouth laser ran from 90 to 94, the eagle talon ran till 98 and the eclipse ran till 99. After market industry is still strong for these platforms and very cheep compared to other popular platforms.
Old 01-13-2016, 04:26 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysinSpaceman View Post
I have always loved driving AWD cars, so much grip. Is it true AWD or that Split drive where is mostly FWD with a little RWD thrown in to help? Who was the manufacturer of the engine and drivetrain in the Talon, Chrysler?

I assume that this is the car in question about the used cage. I am going to advise you to not cut this roof off to stick a complete cage in. Unibody cars use the roof as an integral part of the structure. I know that the cage will help that but... and it is a big BUT. The pillars at the corners of the roof are likely a minimum of 2 layers and more likely 3 or 4 layers of structure under the skin. Unless you can get to each layer to completely repair it after it's cut off you will make the chassis weaker then the cage will make it stronger. I think that you need to cut the cage apart or better yet build a new one that fits the car from scratch.

I can't wait to see your progress. Lots of pictures please.

Jaysin
Yes you are right, there is two layers to where i was going to cut, inside and outside layers. I could get both welded up fully but again this option isn't my most desired path. I do have a guy interested in my chassis so i can go ahead and buy new tube and build from scratch how i would like it. Most of my money stays with the family so i do other things to produce things for my pleasure. Usually by selling toys to build toys lol. I get lots of help from others that saves me loads of cash. These cars stock have an inter axle inside the tranny so power is distributed according to grip. Some guys weld up this centre diff to lay the power down evenly, the cons to this is soft terrain control. The transfer case has a viscous lock so e brake will only allow rear lock up for a short period before locking up the front. I have am old diff i want to disassemble to see how it all works and to see if i can remove this lock to be able to do brake turn if i ever decide to rally it. Oh don't you worry, lots of pics and updates will happen as i go along. I always appreciate the advice from you guys, helps me make the right decisions.
Old 01-13-2016, 05:24 PM
Master Fabricator

I always likes the early eclipse GSX, never owned one but always wanted to. I've moved on to wanting ,but not owning a WRX wagon!

I remember reading in some hot rod mag or similar, that the GSX could pretty much beat any car at the time from a light. They brought one out during one of those street car challenges and it beat them all in most categories.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:38 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullnerd View Post
I always likes the early eclipse GSX, never owned one but always wanted to. I've moved on to wanting ,but not owning a WRX wagon!

I remember reading in some hot rod mag or similar, that the GSX could pretty much beat any car at the time from a light. They brought one out during one of those street car challenges and it beat them all in most categories.
They can be crazy cars

Here in one with 1200hp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIr4ADCxawk

Here is a friends race on a hill climb course. This one is a 95 eagle talon with about 550hp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMpMKwkdnP4
Old 01-26-2016, 03:56 AM
Master Fabricator

Well i have been busy getting this thing ready for racing. Got it mostly stripped of almost every bit of junk it don't need. I figure i have shaved about 250 kgs but this is just ball park figures, based off dump scales. Going to delete everything out of the harness thats not needed and relocated everything inside the cab on the fire wall. I have all my tube ordered and a bender all lined up, using 1.75" x .095 dom tube. I have all the parts needed to get me a running engine now but waiting on the dollar to climb a little, buying state side is killer right now. Been busy so i figured id post a few photos of my progress. Thanks for checking it out.

Old 03-29-2016, 08:25 AM
Junior Fabricator

Can't wait to see the result ! I have never got such a huge goals.... Your willingness inspires. What kind of jackscrew do you use?
I am looking for jack in here Automobilio keltuvas iš autoservisuiranga.com
Do they have something that would be enough for beginner amateur to play in a garage?
Old 03-29-2016, 03:20 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarolisMak View Post
Can't wait to see the result ! I have never got such a huge goals.... Your willingness inspires. What kind of jackscrew do you use?
I am looking for jack in here Automobilio keltuvas iš autoservisuiranga.com
Do they have something that would be enough for beginner amateur to play in a garage?
Thanks man, this project is on hold till I get the drift truck done. It under this category with the name project DAHOONA. All I used for a jack is a 2 1/2 ton floor jack along with 4 medium size stands for the four corners of the car. They get it high enough to have plenty of room on a creeper. It's no hoist but it better then nothing lol.