Go Back OFN Forums > General Discussion > The Lounge

The Lounge Its 5:00 somewhere... This is the area where, after a hard days work, you sit back, relax, and unwind...

The Lounge Its 5:00 somewhere... This is the area where, after a hard days work, you sit back, relax, and unwind...

Old 04-04-2016, 04:08 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Ah but when you get in the car, the lights dim on and dim off. That's got to be worth something???

Sometimes you win. Sometimes you learn.
Old 04-04-2016, 06:07 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
Ah but when you get in the car, the lights dim on and dim off. That's got to be worth something???
I like the lights to turn on and off instantly; so for me no the whole 'dim' thing is just a waste, adds to unnecessary complexity, and one more failure point! As I said the most common things that fail on newer cars are... The Electronic Gadgets!

In my 75 every function can be bypassed with the flick of a switch or pull of a fuse all easily reachable without tools.

E

Old 04-04-2016, 10:49 PM

You mean you don't like the simulated blinker relay sound coming over the stereo? You don't appreciate when the engine high notes are acoustically perfected and played over the stereo also? Oh c'mon, those are essential features!

Old 04-04-2016, 11:11 PM
Fabricator

Detroit spends a lot of time and money on Design for Assembly.

They spend no time on Design for Maintenance. If it breaks after warranty then the dealer makes bank the longer it takes to do the repair.

Follow the money and all becomes clear
Old 04-05-2016, 01:55 AM
Master Fabricator

Wink

Quote:
You mean you don't like the simulated blinker relay sound coming over the stereo? You don't appreciate when the engine high notes are acoustically perfected and played over the stereo also? Oh c'mon, those are essential features!
Well, you see my 75 doesn't have a radio let alone one of them thar Stereo whatz itz! Didn't have one when I bought it, and that space on the dash was perfect for two O2 displays; and in the other rigs what actually came with them Stereo devices they are just turned off just like my cellular telephone is, plum 90% of the time.
Why you ask, do I not have the thumping sound... well because I would much rather be in tune with the machine then some stupid electronic gadget!

There is just nothing like the sound of a Big Block in the morning!

E

Old 04-05-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
There is just nothing like the sound of a Big Block in the morning!
In college, I took a job at Home Depot stocking shelves early in the morning. The gig started at 4am, so I needed to head out around 3:30am. My only transportation was the Nova. It had 2 chamber Flowmasters that rattled the windows of every house on the block and worse no choke, so I had to let it warm up for a few minutes holding a fast idle just to keep it from falling on its face when I put it in gear. Luckily I had a couple neighbors with hotrods as well and they understood, but one neighbor in particular was furious. Funny enough they thought it was someone else's car, went to their house, pounded on the door, and chewed them out for all the noise my car was making. Needless to say I had to make some changes in my transportation strategy.

Anyway, about these electronic gizmos and new car design stuff, despite all the complexity, we do have cars now that can run tens of thousands of miles without maintenance and generally are reliable in that period. They also tend to get better fuel economy and emit much fewer pollutants while having high specific output. It does suck when something electronic gives up some smoke, but I appreciate all the little conveniences and unnecessarily features afforded by moving all those electrons. It sure does make for a packaging nightmare though.

Old 04-08-2016, 05:39 PM

My recently-replaced daily driver '07 Cobalt is pissing condensate from the HVAC system through the blower motor all over the passenger floor. I assume this is due to a clogged drain line. What happened to the good ol' days of putting the evaporator in the engine compartment? It's almost as bad as a leaky heater core spewing coolant into the cab - these things ought to just be outside the firewall.

Old 04-12-2016, 02:29 AM
Master Fabricator

Bandit you issue with the GM lineup is not not alone. I snagged a 2003 Chevy venture minivan for trips and basic transportation.

The doors electric locks started working intermittently then stopped working.

After a bit of net research and look see it the passenger floor mat was literally soaking in water.

Turns out the dumb-ass engineers did not put a proper drain on the AC condenser. Instead of running it outside where it could drop to the ground the condensers tube was not even sticking out the body and nearly all of its runoff ends up inside on the passenger floor under the carpet and padding. (we literally rang water out of it).

Ironically they sell a tube at GM parts department to fix this.......... It gets the water outside the body and to the ground. What a concept!

Turns out this water/moisture all ends up under the door jams cover on the passenger side.

RIGHT WHERE THE WIRING IS!

This moisture gets into the wire splices there and they corrode and the door locks and other things stop working. (What depends on how lucky you are.)

You take the door jam off and lift the wiring and the wires often fall right out of the splices. If not a tiny pull is all it takes. They do not carry current....

New splices and fixing the leak makes it go away.

I too hate most engineers. Good ones are few and far between.

I only hope I get to spend some time in the afterlife keeping the engineers that build shit wrong in a lake of fire with a sharp pitchfork! (politicians too!)
Old 04-12-2016, 11:10 AM

I blasted a bit of compressed air through the drain line and it cleared out. I'm still not sure what actually blocked the line. Fortunately on mine the drain line protruded from the lower area of the firewall in an appropriate location, but I really don't know what caused it to clog. Maybe it uses a duckbill valve that got stuck together.

From what I understand, GM is not alone in drain line issues.

Old 04-12-2016, 12:11 PM
Master Fabricator

I'll bet it's not engineers but it is the bean counters.
An example in my trade, siding and renovations; A #6 x 5/8" robertson screw head.... You would think they would account for the paint film thickness when forming the head? But, nooooo! Every time I use one particular brand that is at the supplier that I frequent the most I kick myself in the ass harder than last time. The paint thickness prevents the screw from sitting on the screwdriver properly. I've mentioned it to the people behind the front desk, and to three different managers over the course of twenty years. I'd think they would be through the old stock by now, wouldn't you? &^$%$^% grumble, grumble....

PS; I have to use these particular screws to match the proprietory color on aluminum stock.

PPS; if they don't want to change forming machines then they should provide screwdriver bits that fit ....free of charge

Last edited by alwaysFlOoReD; 04-12-2016 at 12:16 PM.
Old 04-12-2016, 12:27 PM

Auto manufacturers are under a lot of pricing pressure as well as regulation, but that's no excuse for shoddy engineering. I think part of the issue is they are not designing these cars for us to work on; they are designing them to be driven off the lot in numbers by the silly masses of people who are mostly ignorant of how they work.

I would be very interested to know how often auto engineers reach out to mechanics to understand what's going wrong with their cars long after they are sold. I'm sure they track warranty service data at the dealership, but I doubt much of the 100k mile plus service happens at the dealer.

Regarding those painted screws, that would drive me nuts! The tooling to make those screws is probably not cheap. Perhaps that's why the haven't corrected the issue.

Old 01-19-2017, 03:42 PM
Master Fabricator

Drive By Wire.
Built by anyone!

PCV "Systems" that require maintenance and to do so you must dissemble 1/2 the the engine compartment including an engine mount, because the PCV went on first.

Did I mention Drive By Wire?

E

DBW!

Old 01-23-2017, 04:54 PM

Quote:
DBW!
Stupid necessary evil to enable some features (like cylinder shutoff), reduce emissions, and improve fuel economy, but I HATE the idea of having wires, circuits and a motor between me and my throttle. All kinds of complications against reliability!

The PCV behind the motor mount thing is just plain bad/afterthought engineering.

Old 01-23-2017, 05:41 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Stupid necessary evil to enable some features (like cylinder shutoff), reduce emissions, and improve fuel economy, but I HATE the idea of having wires, circuits and a motor between me and my throttle. All kinds of complications against reliability!

The PCV behind the motor mount thing is just plain bad/afterthought engineering.
Then bury it behind the covers, under the manifold, above the turbo ducting and it is easieer with the fan out.
Sheesh, a 2 hour job should not take twenty! & the 'Actuator" should not be costing nearly $400 to replace a $50 Cable

Old 01-24-2017, 02:55 PM
Master Fabricator

At least the Rocket has a real 'spare tire' rather then one of them cans-o-air. That would have been a real joke!

Old 01-24-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
At least the Rocket has a real 'spare tire' rather then one of them cans-o-air. That would have been a real joke!
What Rocket are you referring to?

Old 01-24-2017, 04:56 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
What Rocket are you referring to?
the Blue one that my wife drives.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:09 PM

Quote:
the Blue one that my wife drives.
What is the make/model/year/configuration? I'm not privy to you wife's daily driver

Old 01-24-2017, 05:46 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
What is the make/model/year/configuration? I'm not privy to you wife's daily driver
Well... how quickly we forget We talked about it back in 14...

2006 Volvo S60 R with parts and now one mangled wheel surrounded by a wrecked tire.

Old 01-24-2017, 05:48 PM

My bad. I thought she had a Thunderturd.