Go Back OFN Forums > General Discussion > The Lounge

The Lounge Its 5:00 somewhere... This is the area where, after a hard days work, you sit back, relax, and unwind...

The Lounge Its 5:00 somewhere... This is the area where, after a hard days work, you sit back, relax, and unwind...

Old 03-29-2017, 02:49 AM
Junior Fabricator

Help me Decide

Hey, guys, I am thinking of getting a security camera for my house. I don't know whether I should get a wired or a wireless camera. It's pretty hard for me to decide. I did see a blog ( http://cspalarms.ca/blog/security-sy...alarm-systems/ ) that mentioned the benefits and differences between the two. I am keen on getting a wireless camera though, is it easy to install? I will be installing it on my own. So I hope that it is pretty easy for a DIYer.
Old 03-29-2017, 08:53 AM
Master Fabricator

I'm wireless with 24 hour battery backup. It also feeds to the cloud and can be controlled by my cellphone. Notifies me of power outage and any recorded options I have chosen. You can cut the power and phone lines at my place and I can still see who dun it. No recorder at the house to get smashed or taken. Most all types are easy to setup.
Old 03-29-2017, 12:25 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

I have wired cameras going to a DVR wired to my LAN/internet. I can access the cameras on my cell over WiFi or remotely for monitoring or playback of DVR-recorded content. I don't like relying on a wireless signal to the cameras which may or may not be strong enough depending on the size of the property. The DVR backs up continuously to cloud storage so even if the DVR is broken or stolen, I can still get to recordings. You can hook yours up onto a battery backup power supply if you are concerned about a thief disconnecting power. Running wires can be a PITA depending on your situation.

In the end I think of it more as a deterrent, part of a "defense in depth" that includes keeping things locked up, security system, dogs, lighting, etc.

All systems can be defeated but having a few layers in place makes it less likely they will even attempt to get in.

Don't limit your challenges. Challenge your limits.
Old 03-30-2017, 01:18 AM
Junior Fabricator

Thanks for the info guys :)
Old 03-30-2017, 09:00 PM
Master Fabricator

I too have been looking into different systems. Andy and Clint, care to share info on your systems?
I dont have internet at the shop yet... but i'd like to keep an eye on things

Thanks guys.
Old 03-30-2017, 10:42 PM
Master Fabricator

I use Front Point. 100% cellular. 100% customizable. Can be cheap or very expensive buying the equipment. My house was broken into when I took my wife and daughter bowling. I had no protection then. I invested a lot building my system shortly after. Peace of mind for me and my girls.

Front Points customer service is unmatched.....well....it's kinda like having Cris on the phone....buts that's it's only match

Last edited by ScooteK; 03-30-2017 at 10:45 PM.