Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > In The Shop

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:36 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicedz4 View Post
No, its just that fiberglass reinforced plastic "panelling". Its like a white bumpy sorta paneling you sometimes find in bathrooms, hospitals, or kitchens etc.

Dan
Very good ,thanks.

I just put up a 30 by 40.

I'll use the "Fire retardant panel" also.
Old 09-13-2012, 10:04 AM
Master Fabricator

Tuesday they finished up leveling and compacting the barn area, finished up the grading for the driveway and spread my 20 yards of dirt down the north side for me (I need to grab a couple pics).

Tuesday night I hung some construction lights, laid down half of the 6mil vapor barrier and 500sq ft of mesh.

Wed night I had help. Three of us managed to get the rest of the vapor barrier and the other 1500sq ft of mesh down in about 90 mins. Then, after some careful double checking and measuring we laid down the first of 7 loops of tubing. It actually went a bit faster than I thought having never done it before. I still need to add a few more ties to it, but its basically set. Hoping to get the rest done in the next couple nights so I can pressure test this weekend.

Night view with my sweEt construction lights

Plastic and mesh down

First loop - hard to see in this pic, but there is a keep away zone for one lift post by the far end there.

Dan
Old 09-13-2012, 05:28 PM
Master Fabricator

Looking good!

So are you placing each loop of the tubing about 12" apart?
Old 09-13-2012, 05:42 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
Looking good!

So are you placing each loop of the tubing about 12" apart?
Yes, near exactly 12" apart. The grid is 6" squares.

Dan
Old 09-16-2012, 10:02 PM
Master Fabricator

It took a bit longer than Id hoped, but all the tubing is down and connected to the manifold. Probably the worst part was twisting 1500+ wires with that stupid tool. I think next time Id just use zip ties.

I pressurized it yesterday afternoon around 4pm. As of 6pm tonight it hadnt dropped even a half a psi. In fact, it went up a touch due to the sun shining in on the tubing all afternoon.

Concrete is scheduled for first thing tuesday am. yay.

Tubing. Ill get some more pics, along with some overhead, tomorrow.

Manifolds. The extra pex to the left is for a slab temp sensor. I added a tube up front for one too. Im not sure Ill use it, but easier to put it in now!

Dan
Old 09-17-2012, 09:45 PM
Master Fabricator

Snapped some pics with the Contour after work today. Using them to be sure I know right where everything is after the concrete goes in.

Dan
Old 09-18-2012, 07:55 AM
Fabricator

Dan a couple questions or considerations

1. Is that Pex tubing made with a Oxygen barrier? If not you dont want it in a floor with concrete. It looks like radiant heat for non concrete application.
2. You may want to condsider off peak electric for your boiler. It add $3K for electrical but may save you a bundle. Based on your size a 30,000BTU electric boiler should keep up. (was that 30x40?)
3. From what I know of radiant heat your way to close to the edges of the building. I am doing a building very soon and was given the advice that you want to be 4' in from the edges of the building and the closer you get to the center the farther away your loops can be.
4. You definately want to think about rebar in your entrances. I know alot depends on your concrete (fiber vs non fiber) and who is giving you the advice.

The shed looks great!

Last edited by jeepsr4ever; 09-18-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:05 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsr4ever View Post

1. Is that Pex tubing made with a Oxygen barrier? If not you dont want it in a floor with concrete. It looks like radiant heat for non concrete application.
2. You may want to condsider off peak electric for your boiler. It add $3K for electrical but may save you a bundle. Based on your size a 30,000BTU electric boiler should keep up. (was that 30x40?)
3. From what I know of radiant heat your way to close to the edges of the building. I am doing a building very soon and was given the advice that you want to be 4' in from the edges of the building and the closer you get to the center the farther away your loops can be.
4. You definately want to think about rebar in your entrances. I know alot depends on your concrete (fiber vs non fiber) and who is giving you the advice.

The shed looks great!
I don't know who you are talking to about Radiant but:
1. Wrong
2. Likely years to pay back
3. Completely wrong.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:16 AM
Engineer, and Shop Monkey

Those pictures are great, But you might want to add some reference lines across the tubing, or put a few Tape measures with Close ups of some points so that you can get more exact measurements to the lines.

Right now it seems like you have good enough pictures. But a few years later a solid reference line pulled across from those posts will make it easier to lay out what is under the Concrete for future work.

I am in the middle of doing some remodel stuff to a house, and wish I had included better measurements before it was closed up.

Just thought I would add that comment to save a future hassle.

But, I really like how it is working out for you. Radiant heat is a good thing.

Carl
Old 09-18-2012, 11:35 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepsr4ever View Post

The shed looks great!
The PEX does have O2 barrier. Its just not orange.

They put some rebar around the lift points and near the overhead doors this am before they poured, so thats all set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrogers View Post
Those pictures are great, But you might want to add some reference lines across the tubing, or put a few Tape measures with Close ups of some points so that you can get more exact measurements to the lines.

Right now it seems like you have good enough pictures. But a few years later a solid reference line pulled across from those posts will make it easier to lay out what is under the Concrete for future work.

I am in the middle of doing some remodel stuff to a house, and wish I had included better measurements before it was closed up.

Just thought I would add that comment to save a future hassle.

But, I really like how it is working out for you. Radiant heat is a good thing.

Carl
I took a crap ton of measurements and I marked the inside of the walls with paint so I have multiple ways of verifying where the lift points are, and where some other major features are (I just did it after the pics, b/c I HAD to take the pics in day light, and the measurements I could do at night). Like where I can nail down a baseplate for a wall along the back to hide the boiler / compressor/ sink etc. Basically the area that will be under the stairs.

They finished the pour about 45mins ago. Now the waiting and finishing begins. Sounds like they are going to be here until early evening.

Dan
Old 09-18-2012, 11:38 AM
Fabricator

1st, this is one of my favorite build threads, very nice job. 2nd, have you considered running conduit in the concrete to run electric to the center of your shop floor?
Old 09-18-2012, 04:12 PM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
I don't know who you are talking to about Radiant but:
1. Wrong
2. Likely years to pay back
3. Completely wrong.
1. I believe you to be correct I looked it up and it has everything to do with iron components in the system and nothing to do with the concrete
2. Most likely right on that size of a building
3. I am not sure yet I couldnt find any info I am just going off other building owners info. I would love to know more.
Old 09-18-2012, 09:56 PM
Master Fabricator

So they JUST finished troweling. They've probably been at it since before noon. Unreal. Its gona be damn smooth.

Anyway, here are a few pics from this am. I had the contour running too, but wont be able to retrieve the footage until tomorrow am.

Two trucks. At the same time. Oh yeah. /Office Space

Taken around 3PM

I managed to pick up the garage today and finish up the breaker box trim panel.

More good pics tomorrow afternoon.

Dan
Old 09-18-2012, 10:13 PM
Master Fabricator

How thick did you pour? Looks like over 6"
Old 09-18-2012, 10:21 PM
Master Fabricator

Supposed to be 5", its a bit thicker in the front, close to 6"

Dan
Old 09-18-2012, 10:38 PM
Master Fabricator

HA! Nice office space refference!

looks sweet.

What, if any finish on the floor?

I just put up a 3040 and pullin my hair out over the stupid floor finish.Epoxy or densifier.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:51 PM
Master Fabricator

They are going to seal it with Lusterseal before they do the saw cuts.

Dan
Old 09-19-2012, 09:29 PM
Master Fabricator

They sealed and cut the floor today. Its still extremely dusty. I guess they are going to finish clean up tomorrow. They also brought in two loads of crushed stone to top off the driveway, still a load short. More pics tomorrow.

Dan
Old 09-20-2012, 02:37 PM
Junior Fabricator

Wow. You got yourself some huge shop!
Old 09-20-2012, 10:07 PM
Master Fabricator

They finished the concrete cleanup and the gravel for the driveway today. What a difference 3 loads of gravel makes...

fullsize image here: http://clubhousecustoms.com/gallery2...veway+done.jpg

Dan