Go Back OFN Forums > OFN Talk > OFN News

OFN News Check here to see what's happening with the site!

OFN News Check here to see what's happening with the site!

Old 04-25-2010, 09:37 PM
Master Fabricator

got a very suspicious e-mail - WTH?

So I check my e-mail and get some suspicious new ones. One is from Paypal (scam) and the other which I am sure is also a scam is from OFN. What's going on?
Here's the e-mail:

Hello Mat Radoszewski,

You have successfully cancelled your subscription to OFN Member Subscription Subscription

You will not be billed for this subscription again.

-----------------------------------
Cancellation Details

Cancellation Date: Apr. 25, 2010
Subscription Name: OFN Member Subscription Subscription Subscription Number: S-00U4664068307621D Item Number: 5951eaad240c5b694935375c2ce640ef

Contact Information

If you have any questions about this subscription, please contact 2020 Software Solutions, Inc..

Business Name: 2020 Software Solutions, Inc.
Contact Email: support@2020softwaresolutions.com Contact Phone: 651-257-8715

Sincerely,
PayPal

----------------------------------------------------------------
PROTECT YOUR PASSWORD

NEVER give your password to anyone, including PayPal employees. Protect yourself against fraudulent websites by opening a new web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Firefox) and typing in the PayPal URL every time you log in to your account.

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

Copyright 1999-2010 PayPal. All rights reserved.

PayPal Email ID PP268

__________ NOD32 5057 (20100424) Information __________

This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.
http://www.eset.com
Old 04-25-2010, 10:40 PM
Master Fabricator

Interesting... Contact Cris (fabcam), just incase there was an error somewhere.
Im not sure what someone would gain from getting your logon info to OFN. Its not like a bank or paypal where they could get your money and be gone. Worst they could do here is make you look like an ass. I look like one all the time. Its not so bad.

Last edited by shaggy10000; 04-25-2010 at 10:42 PM.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:02 AM
Site Admin

No not a scam from theOFN. Things you need to know.
1) The PayPal "subscription" is the payment method to update your OFN membership sponsorship on a yearly basis. You can cancel the PayPal subscription, however, the OFN membership will be valid until the time runs out.
2) From what I can tell, PayPal subscriptions are canceled for several reasons on your end including changing the credit card in the PayPal system or changing the bank you have tied to it.
3) When you find your membership run out, just jump back into theOFN system here and restart your subscription.

Have a great day,
Cris
http://www.BendTechDragon.com

Cris Merry
Phone: 651-257-8715
Cris@bend-tech.com

Old 04-26-2010, 07:41 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabcam View Post
No not a scam from theOFN. Things you need to know.
1) The PayPal "subscription" is the payment method to update your OFN membership sponsorship on a yearly basis. You can cancel the PayPal subscription, however, the OFN membership will be valid until the time runs out.
2) From what I can tell, PayPal subscriptions are canceled for several reasons on your end including changing the credit card in the PayPal system or changing the bank you have tied to it.
3) When you find your membership run out, just jump back into theOFN system here and restart your subscription.

Have a great day,
Cris
this.
Old 04-26-2010, 07:47 PM
Master Fabricator

I know it's not a scam from OFN, but I sent the letter to Paypal as well and they replied that it is a scam letter (or phishing as they put it). Another interesting way of trying to sucker people into giving up their passwords.
Old 04-26-2010, 08:04 PM
Master Fabricator

Just one of the oh-so many reasons I do not use PP!!!

Old 04-26-2010, 08:24 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
lol
Old 04-26-2010, 08:27 PM
Site Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantom View Post
I know it's not a scam from OFN, but I sent the letter to Paypal as well and they replied that it is a scam letter (or phishing as they put it). Another interesting way of trying to sucker people into giving up their passwords.
Someone at PayPal (the one that told you this) needs to get a new job. It was absolutely sent by PayPal. I received an email of the same alert (you canceling your subscription) and my PayPal account shows the same cancellation. If you look at your PayPal account; see if on April 25th your subscription was canceled. The subscription in question was started Nov 9, 2009. You will find the subscription id (unique to you and this one transaction is: S-00U4664068307621D, just stated in the email).

Tell PayPal if they need a lesson as to how this works, I will be happy to train their dumb-ass technical customer support team for $150.00 an hour.

Here is the one I received at the same time on the same subject:

Hello 2020 Software Solutions, Inc.,

Mat Radoszewski's subscription to OFN Member Subscription Subscription has been cancelled.

Cancellation Details

Date of cancellation: Apr. 25, 2010
Subscription Name: OFN Member Subscription Subscription
Subscription Number: S-00U4664068307621D
Item Number: 5951eaad240c5b694935375c2ce640ef
Custom Number: fantom

Subscriber Information

Name: Mat Radoszewski
Email: changed_by_fabcam@shaw.ca

Thanks,

PayPal

PROTECT YOUR PASSWORD

NEVER give your password to anyone, including PayPal employees. Protect yourself against fraudulent websites by opening a new web browser (e.g. Internet Explorer or Firefox) and typing in the PayPal URL every time you log in to your account.

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and you will not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal account and click the Help link in the top right corner of any PayPal page.

PayPal Email ID PP269

Cris Merry
Cris@bend-tech.com

Old 04-26-2010, 08:40 PM
Master Fabricator

lmfao!
Old 04-26-2010, 11:10 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
I agree. Paypal hates me so much i cant even pay through someone else's account with my credit/debit card. Any vendor who only accepts paypal for CC payments will never see my buisness. Because i cant pay them.
Besides that's one shaky ass basket to have all your eggs in.
Once a year i mail Cris a check for OFN dues.
Old 04-26-2010, 11:15 PM
Master Fabricator

I've been getting fed up with them as well. Shame that so many businesses (especially those that I need parts from) use it as their only payment. Another lesson learned. Thanks guys.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:33 PM

Sounds like Paypal canceled your subscription for you.

Paypal, overall, is a fairly stable platform. In terms of customer purchasing it is actually very identity safe. A vendor never sees your credit card information, even the last 4, and that information is not stored anywhere that is accessible. This both elevates the fear that your CC# will get stolen from your vendor's database, and elevates the vendor from the liability of such and occurrence.

On non Paypal shopping carts ALL of your data is stored in the database, unless the store owner is smart enough to turn those stored entries off (most are not!), and this can become a huge security vulnerability. There are new rules/laws coming out to help protect personal data but they are not too widely known yet, and again require a store owner smart enough to know how to implement/use/maintain them, or at least willing to shell out the green to pay someone else to do it for them. I only know about them because I've been doing some homework on a new site "lately".

Also, if a vendor you use only takes Paypal online, call them, they very well might take your order over the phone.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:18 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by traxman25 View Post
Sounds like Paypal canceled your subscription for you. Yep. Because i have a common last name, they wanted a shitload of personal info faxed to them to have on file. I dont think so

Paypal, overall, is a fairly stable platform. In terms of customer purchasing it is actually very identity safe. A vendor never sees your credit card information, even the last 4, and that information is not stored anywhere that is accessible. This both elevates the fear that your CC# will get stolen from your vendor's database, and elevates the vendor from the liability of such and occurrence.

On non Paypal shopping carts ALL of your data is stored in the database, unless the store owner is smart enough to turn those stored entries off (most are not!), and this can become a huge security vulnerability. There are new rules/laws coming out to help protect personal data but they are not too widely known yet, and again require a store owner smart enough to know how to implement/use/maintain them, or at least willing to shell out the green to pay someone else to do it for them. I only know about them because I've been doing some homework on a new site "lately".

Also, if a vendor you use only takes Paypal online, call them, they very well might take your order over the phone.
Only if they have a regular card reader. I've tried. The only vender who is paypa only that i will deal with is Dan @ ruffstuff specialties. We have a system worked out that works well.

I agree with some of what you say, it still doesnt cover for all the bad ways of paypal. I dare anyone to read through the fine print. Most people dont understand they are not a bank. They are in a category by themselves. Therefore they do not have to play by a banks rules. When someone files a complaint, Bam your account is shut down. All funds tied up untill a its resolved. Which can take a long time sometimes. Lots of ebayers lost their business for this very reason. No way to take money and pissed off buyers left neg feedback to the point they had to give it up. the complaints usually end with the complainer getting their money back and you not getting the product back. Since a paypal account is tied to your real bank account, they will get the money back. Even if you bounce in your real bank.
You dont have to take my word for it. I will gladly keep mailing my check.

http://www.paypalwarning.com/
http://www.screw-paypal.com/
http://www.paypalsucks.com/
These are just a few.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:01 AM
Fabricator

I recieved the same email as this and I am a new member that hasnteven been here a year yet....I would hope I am not getting cancelled already.....lol, my subscription just started in January.....
Old 05-06-2010, 10:45 AM
Site Admin

I hope we all understand this..... the PayPal's subscription payment cancellation means the OFN membership will not be automatically paid at time for renewal. At that time you just go through the subscription payment process again if you desire to continue as a sponsoring member.

This does not affect your status on theOFN before the finish of the membership year.

Cris Merry
Cris@bend-tech.com

Old 05-06-2010, 11:39 PM
Quick with a laser

I do it because of my insurance company. They will only carry my Product liability insurance if they get all my insurance needs. They want almost $1000 more per month for coverage if we ever hear a CC number. For a business that dosen't use product liability insurance it would be $50 a year. Just one of the MANY benefits of doing business in California! 14 months left and we will be doing business in Flagstaff Arizona and my product liability falls from $39K+ to $5400 a year...Then we will accept CC's over the phone.

However, we have never had a problem with PP of any kind and with the cash back from using their credit cards for everything (even rent) the fees are under 1%, way better than 98% of cc companies...
www.ruffstuffspecialties.com
Old 06-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelMaker View Post
I do it because of my insurance company. They will only carry my Product liability insurance if they get all my insurance needs. They want almost $1000 more per month for coverage if we ever hear a CC number. For a business that dosen't use product liability insurance it would be $50 a year. Just one of the MANY benefits of doing business in California! 14 months left and we will be doing business in Flagstaff Arizona and my product liability falls from $39K+ to $5400 a year...Then we will accept CC's over the phone.

However, we have never had a problem with PP of any kind and with the cash back from using their credit cards for everything (even rent) the fees are under 1%, way better than 98% of cc companies...
Holy crap, you guys are moving AGAIN???

That must be something of a record!
Old 06-10-2010, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelMaker View Post

Holy grab your ankles..... I have product liability and I dont pay nearly that a yr. Check with Country Companys they have treated me VERY FAIR, and lowered my rate when I switched to them.

http://rock4xfabrication.com
1-847-672-9653
1-847-544-1823
Old 07-24-2010, 04:45 PM
Quick with a laser

it's not that easy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock4XFab View Post
Holy grab your ankles..... I have product liability and I dont pay nearly that a yr. Check with Country Companys they have treated me VERY FAIR, and lowered my rate when I switched to them.
We are in California, the sue happy and CC fraud state . It is also based on business volume, we do about 1.5-1.7M a year and they really know it, they thing we are GM. When we were under 500K it was less than 1/7th of what it jumped to. We went from "artisan" to major mfg in thier eyes.

If we were a shop just working on vehicles it would be ~$1300 a year but as a manufacturer it is entirely different and we specialize in suspension and brake parts.
www.ruffstuffspecialties.com

Last edited by GravelMaker; 07-24-2010 at 04:47 PM.