Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > In The Shop

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

In The Shop Shop talk, shop tools & fixtures, shop wear, anything for the shop that is not covered in another forum.

Old 08-31-2012, 01:24 PM
Master Fabricator

My shop/barn build thread

This has been going on for a while now but I just havent had time to put up pics etc. Anyway, here goes.

Specs:
40'x48'x12' pole barn construction
Full attic ~16.5'x44'x8' - designed to be additional shop space - likely for woodworking and storage - with walk-up stairs
Radiant floor heat
100A electrical
Water, etc.

I think Ill just toss up a handful of pics a day until we are caught up.

The big ass trusses

I also have some timelapse vids from the first several days that Ill post tonight.

Dan
Old 08-31-2012, 03:42 PM
Master Fabricator

Good looking shop. I like the design with the upper level.

IMO radiant floor heat is the only way to go. What fuel are you going to use to fire the boiler?
Old 08-31-2012, 06:34 PM
Master Fabricator

Propane most likely as we dont have nat gas out here unfortunately.

Dan
Old 08-31-2012, 09:33 PM
Master Fabricator

Few more pics. I missed most of the skin going up as we were on vacation.

Doors installed. The doors are Amaar Commercial 2700 Series R19 insulated (12x10)

Shell finished! Took the two guys that put it up 3 weeks. They did a super fantastic job. Its SUPER straight, plumb, level. I couldnt be happier.

Dan
Old 08-31-2012, 10:24 PM
Master Fabricator

At this point I long ago wish I would have had ours put up AND finished.
Of course I would not know how much I hate working in wood, and I might not have destroyed my back, though it may have been done long before...
Ah well, would'ah, could'ah, should'ah

Looks great! I like the two tone
E
Old 08-31-2012, 11:41 PM
Master Fabricator

Nice I'm jealous

Last edited by Chocflip201; 08-31-2012 at 11:44 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:21 PM
Master Fabricator

That is very nice,well done how does it compare to steel build,over here steel barn/workshop/shed is generally cheaper and we have wood coming out our ears!!!
Oh and how are the posts held in the ground?
Old 09-02-2012, 12:09 AM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

I love the loft space. That is so sweet. Is it common to put the sticks up before pouring concrete?
Old 09-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Junior Fabricator

thats a shed and a half

very nice
Old 09-03-2012, 12:17 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtm View Post
thats a shed and a half

very nice
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
I love the loft space. That is so sweet. Is it common to put the sticks up before pouring concrete?
On a pole barn yes. The lower skirt around the bottom becomes the forms for the floor when they pour it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350 Vortec View Post
That is very nice,well done how does it compare to steel build,over here steel barn/workshop/shed is generally cheaper and we have wood coming out our ears!!!
Oh and how are the posts held in the ground?
Im not really sure how it compares to a full steel building, I just went with this construction. As for the posts, they dig 48" deep holes, pour a 10" or so concrete pad, then just set the post on it and backfill with gravel, compacting the hell out of it every few inches or so. Thats it.

Dan
Old 09-04-2012, 03:35 PM
Master Fabricator

That is different from what is done in this area. I was wondering why they were pouring concrete in the empyt holes.

Here, they drill the holes and set the posts in the holes. They then plumb them and secure with temporary bracing, and fill the hole to the top with concrete. Also, they typically have only 2 trusses on each post. Then there are purlins in between. I like how yours is built better, aside from the lack of concrete around each post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicedz4 View Post
Im not really sure how it compares to a full steel building, I just went with this construction. As for the posts, they dig 48" deep holes, pour a 10" or so concrete pad, then just set the post on it and backfill with gravel, compacting the hell out of it every few inches or so. Thats it.

Dan
Old 09-04-2012, 07:11 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
That is different from what is done in this area. I was wondering why they were pouring concrete in the empyt holes.

Here, they drill the holes and set the posts in the holes. They then plumb them and secure with temporary bracing, and fill the hole to the top with concrete. Also, they typically have only 2 trusses on each post. Then there are purlins in between. I like how yours is built better, aside from the lack of concrete around each post.
Around here that is the "old way" of doing the posts. Now they are basically pouring a footer for it to sit on , and the gravel around it allows the water to flow away from the post, vs creating a cup to trap it. Unless of course the concrete comes up over grade. Anyway, thats how it was explained to me and how most buildings around here are constructed. I talked with several places and all did it basically the same.

Dan
Old 09-04-2012, 08:31 PM
Master Fabricator

My father in law brought his Kubota up a couple weeks ago to dig another ditch for more conduit. This time for water and low voltage electric. We also had to dig up the original conduit meant for the electric service as it needed to be moved since the barn didnt end up exactly where we thought it might when we planned it 9 years ago.

We also used the backhoe to help scrape out around the inside of the barn to install the R-10 foam insulation for the slab. That was a real treat. Even with the machine it was a ton of hand digging. The insulation goes down 24" on the north and west sides and 16" on the south and east (as measured from where the top of the slab will be).

Then we backfilled it all and leveled out the dirt that was left inside.

Since then Ive moved a bunch more dirt and rocks around. Next up I need to get a couple of loads of dirt in to backfill the north and west sides, tamp down all the dirt good and get ready for stone to be delivered. Im HOPING to get the stone in this week, but being a short week I have a feeling its going to be another week.

Also the 2100 feet of tubing for the radiant heat showed today. Wee.

Dan
Old 09-07-2012, 01:12 AM
Master Fabricator

The tubing, manifolds, etc showed up this week for the radiant heat. I purchased everything from the Blue Ridge Company. They were great to deal with, the price was right and everything looks pretty nice as far as I can tell.

I also had 20 yards of dirt delivered to back fill along the outside of the north wall.

Dan
Old 09-07-2012, 02:16 AM
Master Fabricator

Nice!
I wish I went with heated floors.

FYI I put pull points in my floor every 12' (center of each bay) and I am glad that I did
Old 09-09-2012, 09:52 PM
Fabricator

very lucky dude .. nice
Old 09-10-2012, 09:22 PM
Master Fabricator

Thanks!

So I worked nearly all weekend but didnt seem to accomplish a ton. Lots of "figuring" and running around to get supplies etc.

Anyway, I managed to get the panel box mounted and the conduit all squared away. Installed two boxes for switches by the door and a 12" square box for network/phone/cable management and pull access. (the box under the window). The plywood panel around the box will be covered with white FRP and made removable for easier access to the box once the steel liner panels are hung.

I also made up a bracket to hold the elbows for the PEX (I couldnt stand it if they were just flopping around) and mounted the manifold.

This am they came to start leveling and compacting the floor and got a good start on the ramp in front. The plan is to finish tomorrow, then I can get working on the metal mesh and PEX install.

Should be a good week.

Dan
Old 09-10-2012, 09:43 PM
Master Fabricator

Whats FRP?

Sweet shop.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:52 PM
Master Fabricator

FRP=? Fire Retardant Panel ?
Old 09-11-2012, 12:14 AM
Master Fabricator

No, its just that fiberglass reinforced plastic "panelling". Its like a white bumpy sorta paneling you sometimes find in bathrooms, hospitals, or kitchens etc.

Dan