Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > Metal Forming Tools

Metal Forming Tools Air Shaping and Planishing Hammers, English Wheels, Shrinking/Stretching Machine, Metal Formers, Bead Forming Machines, Sheet Metal Brakes

Metal Forming Tools Air Shaping and Planishing Hammers, English Wheels, Shrinking/Stretching Machine, Metal Formers, Bead Forming Machines, Sheet Metal Brakes

Old 04-11-2006, 07:27 PM
Master Fabricator

Im new too this but how do you use this die?Do you need to purchase a press of some type and do you have to cut a hole before you press these dies into sheetmetal,eany info would be greatly appreciated
Old 04-11-2006, 08:28 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy
Im new too this but how do you use this die?Do you need to purchase a press of some type and do you have to cut a hole before you press these dies into sheetmetal,eany info would be greatly appreciated
Do a little reading about three or four posts up and you will see how they're made. Yes they require a hole beforehand. A press may not be required as you could probably do a lot of flared holes using a vise or a big bolt.
Old 04-14-2006, 12:05 PM
Fasterbater Mabricator

Here is some work with the 3" die we have at work, the 4" die showed up yesterday, its freaking huge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-168F.JPG
Views:	394
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	499   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-169F.JPG
Views:	328
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	500  

Last edited by smashmetal; 04-14-2006 at 04:47 PM.
Old 04-19-2006, 01:16 PM
Master Fabricator

Question

So, how does one go about purchasing a set of these dies? Was it part of a group purchase that has already come and gone or ? What does the kit include?
Old 04-19-2006, 02:13 PM
OFN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rompn
So, how does one go about purchasing a set of these dies? Was it part of a group purchase that has already come and gone or ? What does the kit include?
Here you go....http://www.xtremecrawlers.com/catalo...ole-p-857.html

Chopworx.com
Old 04-19-2006, 02:47 PM
Master Fabricator

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithxtreme
Thanks for the link. Couple questions I didn't see while reading through this thread. First, how many different companies are making these dies and are the ones in the link the top of the line or just a budget based version? Second, when using the dimple die, how do you know how many holes to cut out? As many as you can fit in the given area or ? Finally, is there a benefit when using the dies to say, using two 1" holes rather than a single 2" hole? Is one way stronger than the other?
Old 04-19-2006, 04:13 PM
Fasterbater Mabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rompn
Thanks for the link. Couple questions I didn't see while reading through this thread. First, how many different companies are making these dies and are the ones in the link the top of the line or just a budget based version? Second, when using the dimple die, how do you know how many holes to cut out? As many as you can fit in the given area or ? Finally, is there a benefit when using the dies to say, using two 1" holes rather than a single 2" hole? Is one way stronger than the other?
Light Racing makes the die's that keith sells, You'll get a much better deal purchasing them from him than Light Racing. There also the same die's alot of use on the site have. Commander Chassis Is also going to start making them as well, so a heads up there.
Benifits/ Well you can put as many holes as you can fit into a project. I believe the main reason they are used is to lighten material while still keeping it strong and they just look cool too! As you get into bigger die's the more material will be flared. A .75" die will only move about 1/8 of material to make the flare while a 4.0" die will move about 7/8's material to make the flare.
Old 04-19-2006, 04:41 PM
OFN Member

There is really not an low budget way to make these....thats why they cost some much from everyone.....Light racing just gets such big quantities, and after heat treating they dont pay someone to stand there and polish them to a chrome like finish....so they cost less.

I suggest looking at the desert racing crowd on ideas and the guys here on the site. The different sizes are used a lot for the cosmetic look of the part which is why you will see a variaty of hole sizes used on one piece.

but the most important thing to remember is , yes they are used to lighten and strengthen a part you are making. But it can also have the reverse effect, a sheet can only have so much material taken out of it before the structure of it will not hold up anymore even with flared holes.

Get into a groove of what you feel looks good and what still retains strength....dont go all swiss cheese on it and expect it to be strong.....go through this whole thread and look at the examples, then you will start looking at or for these holes in other pictures, magazines, etc.

Chopworx.com
Old 04-19-2006, 04:58 PM
Master Fabricator

Arrow

Sounds good guys, thanks. I'll be looking at picking up a set from you Keith in the future however I need to get a press first. Also, are there other die sizes we can get from you?
Old 04-19-2006, 05:09 PM

Any thin wall material, such as sheet metal, is subject to bucking/bending when loaded in compression. Flared holes can stiffen sheet metal so that it is less apt to buckle. Because it is more resistant to buckling, the part is stronger for situations where the material is loaded in compression. The part is also lighter since material has been removed.

The tradeoff is a stress concentration around the hole which can eventually lead to fatigue failure. In many cases where sheet metal is used to reinforce or stiffen something, fatigue does not become an issue. But even so, keep in mind that you could be weakening a part by putting too many holes in it or putting them in the wrong places.

I am saving my pennies for these dies myself and can't wait to have a set.
Old 04-19-2006, 05:10 PM
OFN Member

Yep, from .75 to 6" there is the 5 piece package and the 3 piece large die package....Here is the page with all of them....

http://www.xtremecrawlers.com/catalo...s-c-72_67.html

Chopworx.com
Old 04-19-2006, 06:44 PM
Fasterbater Mabricator

Quote:
Yep, from .75 to 6" there is the 5 piece package and the 3 piece large die package....Here is the page with all of them....

Ill be putting up some pic's of what kind of hole a set of 4" dies will do. The 4" die work orderd finally showed up,(Back order) I had to use it as soon as it did too!
Old 04-19-2006, 07:05 PM
Master Fabricator

Arrow

Quote:

Cool deal, thanks. The 6" must be a monster!
Old 04-20-2006, 09:22 AM
Fasterbater Mabricator

As promised here are the pic's of the 4" dies and the flare they make in a 1/8 peice of aluminium!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MVC-178F.JPG
Views:	274
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	523   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-179F.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	524   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-180F.JPG
Views:	268
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	525  

Name:	MVC-181F.JPG
Views:	220
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	526  
Old 04-20-2006, 09:24 AM
Fasterbater Mabricator

Just a comparison shot from Rt to Lft 4",3" and 2" dies
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	MVC-182F.JPG
Views:	224
Size:	55.2 KB
ID:	527  
Old 04-21-2006, 06:48 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by smashmetal
As promised here are the pic's of the 4" dies and the flare they make in a 1/8 peice of aluminium!

Just really curious about this flare. I have wondered if the 4" LED lights with the rubber grommet would fit inside that?
Old 04-21-2006, 07:14 PM

Have any of you guys been using bolts or a vise instead of a press to make your flares?
Old 04-22-2006, 12:28 AM
OFN Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper
Just really curious about this flare. I have wondered if the 4" LED lights with the rubber grommet would fit inside that?
Funny you should ask that, I was thinking of trying that and also seeing what gauges look like in the holes.....

Chopworx.com
Old 04-22-2006, 09:20 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Funny you should ask that, I was thinking of trying that and also seeing what gauges look like in the holes.....

All my gauges are Autometer and they are a bit odd on the sizes. 2 1/16" and 3 3/8". It would look really cool resessed into a panel rather than just flush fit.
Old 04-25-2006, 03:05 PM
Fasterbater Mabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapper
Just really curious about this flare. I have wondered if the 4" <a href="http://www.srch-results.com/lm/rtl.asp?k=led%20lights" onmouseover="window.status='LED lights'; return true;" onmouseout="window.status=''; return true;">LED lights</a> with the rubber grommet would fit inside that?
The inside of the 4" flare measures about 4.5"s, if that is to big a 3" or 3.5" flare could be used and rework the hole to make things fit!

I don't know about the rest of ya but im ready for the bigger dies!
Keith, any plans on possiably doing another by in on the 3 peice large set?