Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Old 10-14-2014, 09:37 PM
Master Fabricator

That car is fawking sick!
Old 10-15-2014, 12:51 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
Got any shots of your plumbing? What kind of fuel and tranny lines did you use? What kind of fuel pressure regulator?

I have a love-hate relationship with plumbing. I find it gratifying when I can come up with a clean setup, but sometimes I really struggle with routing, fittings, and attachments. There's a mistake section on the Nova's fuel line where I added a jog due to a misplaced bend; nobody will ever see it but me, yet it keeps me up at night lol.

Wish I could help you on the wiring.

Oh and the car looks bad ass!
I don't have any pics but I used the OEM system from the donor vehicle including the in-tank fuel pump, etc ;-) I tried to make it as easy as I could.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:25 AM
Master Fabricator

Here is my latest addition. Not much. I machine some aluminum to hold the gauges and then welded some rod to allow them to "stand off" the column high enough to see. I just couldn't punch a bunch of holes in the dash, YET. I will when I find a set of gauges I like and will look good. I will be mounting the speedo in the dash center. Nothing major but baby steps....

And $ceep, if you're seeing this, I am W A Y slower than you when it comes to a build ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FullSizeRender.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	8114  
Old 01-08-2015, 03:14 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

I like it. I've been thinking about something like that for my oil and coolant gauges on the Nova. I don't like dash-centered gauges - I just think it takes too much time to move eyes, refocus, and return attention to the road and unless you're intentionally looking at the gauge, you may not notice something wrong. Does your flywheel steering wheel obstruct your view of them?

Sometimes you win. Sometimes you learn.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:52 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Does your flywheel steering wheel obstruct your view of them?
Not really. With all the holes in the flywheel I definitely see the gauges much more than if they were off to the right (center).

I will eventually find nice gauges and mount them in the center but I don't want it to be too "busy" if that makes sense.
Old 01-08-2015, 06:12 PM

Busy gauges are awesome:

Old 01-09-2015, 01:32 PM
Master Fabricator

Ooooh, geeez. That is nuts. I dig the cell phone.
Old 03-03-2015, 11:28 AM
Master Fabricator

Spent the last two weekends busting my ass to basically cut out the original four link shit that was in the way and causing me to lose valuable headroom. When I got in and started deconstructing, I found that the original fool that started this mess had tried welding some of the four link brackets TO the Aluminum D44 pumpkin!!! Damn near fell over but was pleasantly surprised with which the ease they came off...Duhhhh.
Needless-to-say, this made me very happy to be doing this and to correct what was an apparent cluster**** in the works.

Fast forward with demo: I basically welded supports from the very back section towards the front and tacked the axle tubes to the frames to keep my existing ride height and to also eliminate any movement of the frame since I have no frame jig. There was a lot of heavy metal welded all over, so that when I cut the bad section out to drop the frame, nothing would shift.

By removing the older four link set up so that frame section could be dropped four inches, I gained much needed headroom and fixed the shit four link with a 3 link radius arms and panhard set up.

The radius arms sit about an inch above the frame rails as seen in the pics but the overall headroom gained is 3".

I then plumbed all the brakes and fuel lines and dropped the tub back on. Going to Mexico next week so hopefully when I return I can wire it up and put some spark to it!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1188.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	8164   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1189.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	8165   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1191.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	8166  

Name:	IMG_1193.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	58.5 KB
ID:	8167   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1194.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	8168  
Old 03-03-2015, 12:17 PM

I bet you're glad you did that! Sounds like the old suspension was the preface for a bad obituary.

Old 03-03-2015, 05:01 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
I bet you're glad you did that! Sounds like the old suspension was the preface for a bad obituary.
Right!!!

Divine intervention right there. Just shows there was a "reason" I needed to get back in the and change it up. I took the time to go over any areas that looked like they could use reinforcement and then over did that too. I'm very happy with the way it turned out!
Old 04-20-2015, 10:56 AM
Master Fabricator

Like so much else with this car and my A.D.D., I didn't like what I had done and decided to change it. My column cluster was stupid and looked like shit and I really like the SW gauges I decided to go with so here is the update. One pic of my buddy doing the wiring. He is a EE with Boeing. Guy is a smarter that hell when it comes to electronics. I will say that I should have kept it simple and just run a regular carb instead of this TBI bullshit...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1273.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	8181   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1276.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	51.8 KB
ID:	8182   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1285.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	8184  

Name:	IMG_1286.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	8185  

Last edited by jackalope; 04-20-2015 at 10:59 AM.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:19 PM

Looks great this way too! There's a certain regret in scrapping prior work, but the satisfaction of having it the way you want it is often worth it.

Old 04-20-2015, 05:27 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Looks great this way too! There's a certain regret in scrapping prior work, but the satisfaction of having it the way you want it is often worth it.
I still have my column cluster and will hang onto it. I've tried to clean the shop up and threw stuff away only to find I needed it....So back to hoarding it is. ;-)

I do plan to overhaul the shop in the near future and get my projects back on track too. This car has really pulled me away from everything and then not getting it done just compounded the frustration, etc.

Getting this running will be a big relief in so many ways!
Old 04-21-2015, 12:28 AM
Master Fabricator

Hoarding is the way to go... Then when you're really broke and desperate you can dive deeper into depression and sell a bunch of things you will never use but still can't let go of. I do it all the time. then I spend most of my time trying to find things that are no longer in my possession. Isn't A.D.D. awesome?
Old 04-21-2015, 12:32 AM
Master Fabricator

Oh yeah I almost forgot to tell you that his car makes me feel all funny inside. I want to build something like this but finding any good candidates around here isn't very easy to do.
Old 04-21-2015, 09:26 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by F.S.F.W View Post
Hoarding is the way to go... Then when you're really broke and desperate you can dive deeper into depression and sell a bunch of things you will never use but still can't let go of. I do it all the time. then I spend most of my time trying to find things that are no longer in my possession. Isn't A.D.D. awesome?
Oh man is all that shit true or what!!! I'm not thinking the ADD is that awesome anymore and actually trying to get medicated to straighten my thoughts out! Ironically, my day job is Director of Psychiatric Residential Housing with a Nursing Home Administrators License!!!! Yeah, tell me how that looks................. Sometimes I have so much crap running through my head I feel like a soup sandwich.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:59 AM
Master Fabricator

ADD or not it looks like you're having fun with the car. I hope you get it running soon, working on something without being able to drive it once in a while never feels rewarding. Once you can drive it around the block you'll find some new enthusiasm. Keep up the good work.

Jaysin
Old 04-22-2015, 12:09 AM
Master Fabricator

Haha soup sandwich!
Old 07-31-2015, 11:54 AM

Have you made progress on this monster lately?

Old 09-18-2015, 12:33 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Have you made progress on this monster lately?
Hey Clint, I have actually made some progress. It is nearly completion of "Phase 1". Basically, it is close to running and driving. Once I get that completed, I will have fun with it for a year or so and then really dive into the body/paint/interior. Still going to be bare bones for the most part but I want it to be done right.

Working with my buddy who is an EE with Boeing has proven to be the biggest challenge. A challenge in that I am dependent upon his availability which is usually just a few hours every other week or so. The nice thing about having him do this, is it is done right. He is using all Delphi Metrapack Connectors so that if/when I pull the body for paint, I just unplug a few clips and away goes the wiring. He really is a perfectionist which is going to be nice in the long run. I'm just impatient ;-)