Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Old 07-13-2014, 12:45 PM
Master Fabricator

Vw~Model A~Honda... The Freaknstein build...

I was looking to build something way different but still wanted to use the platform of an existing vehicle. I ran across this artist drawing a few years back and have been thinking how to make it happen ever since. I gathered up the 3 pieces that make up a Model A sedan top. A 65 V.W. bug less engine. We put a Honda on its lid a few years ago playing rally racers so I plucked out the ssi motor trans and axles out of it before hauling it to the scrap yard. The thought is to put the Honda engine in the rear of the VW making it a Mid engine. By doing this it frees up the entire back of the body so I can trim it up close to the rear wheels with out engine interference. Hopefully it will give it the true coupe proportion.

Been gathering parts for a while and even started chopping down the roof already. I was given the bug yesterday so Its time to think seriously about how to achieve this. Was thinking about using another hood and splitting down the center to square it up on the bottom then use it in the back as a coupe trunk lid.

I have a mountain of parts saved up so I'm anxious to see what I can make happen here. I'm also thinking that this will be more rat rod'ish in the build stage. If it looks like it can be cleaned up to look kinda like the drawing I might finish it off. Any thoughts, ideas, or advice are appreciated...
Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture%20002.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	7.7 KB
ID:	7960   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture%20001.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	7961   Click image for larger version

Name:	dub.JPG
Views:	162
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	7962  

Last edited by METAL TWISTER; 07-13-2014 at 12:52 PM.
Old 07-13-2014, 03:53 PM
Master Fabricator

The donor that landed here yesterday.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Picture 003.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	7963   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 004.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	64.7 KB
ID:	7964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 005.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	7965  

Name:	Picture 006.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	7966  
Old 07-13-2014, 06:35 PM
Master Fabricator

Because I'm part monster and don't fit into smaller cars, I'd be tempted to add a short side window in behind the door to eliminate the potential blind spot from the wider B-pillar I would use.

E

Edit: Kind of about as much as is showing in the picture with the door open

Old 07-13-2014, 07:42 PM
Master Fabricator

So your thinking a 5 window coupe... like My A.
Attached Images

Old 07-14-2014, 10:47 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by METAL TWISTER View Post
So your thinking a 5 window coupe... like My A.
In a word 'yes" it opens up the cockpit visually and gives a bit more room.
Then why not make the rear glass so that it opens like hinges at the top and swings back... maybe use a VW Van rear glass. Maybe to much

E

Old 07-14-2014, 12:43 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

I think squeezing another window into the factory bug proportions may give too short a rear deck to match up with the rendering, but once you have the pieces you can hold it up and see. I think you are going to have to cut this thing at the waistline (bottom of the windows) and graft the entire upper half (including door tops) from the model A, with plenty of chopping and blending to join the two visually. Nothing about the roof or side window lines can be from the bug, right? The front windshield looks like it could be bug-based. LOTS of work but it will be really cool if you can pull it off.

Do you plan to do a full frame chassis? Here's a build you may be interested in where the guy is doing a mid-engine bug using an ecotech: http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...id-engine.html

Don't limit your challenges. Challenge your limits.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:11 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
I think squeezing another window into the factory bug proportions may give too short a rear deck to match up with the rendering, but once you have the pieces you can hold it up and see. I think you are going to have to cut this thing at the waistline (bottom of the windows) and graft the entire upper half (including door tops) from the model A, with plenty of chopping and blending to join the two visually. Nothing about the roof or side window lines can be from the bug, right? The front windshield looks like it could be bug-based. LOTS of work but it will be really cool if you can pull it off.

Do you plan to do a full frame chassis? Here's a build you may be interested in where the guy is doing a mid-engine bug using an ecotech: http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...id-engine.html
You guys have it all figured out already... Ya know I never thought about a body off and building a frame but that could solve some issues for me. I was going to take about 7 inches out behind the door to get the proportions right. and slice and dice the pan and tunnel to match. Humm wonder what would be involved as far as the vehicle ID vin numbers?

Last edited by METAL TWISTER; 07-15-2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 11:56 AM
Master Fabricator

The description sounds like a real cluster, but the rendering works. I'll be watching this thread to see what you come up with.
Old 07-15-2014, 12:13 PM
Master Fabricator

In might be a real Cluster when its done! LOL NowBandit has me thinking about building my frame which would solve a bunch of issues for me. Turning the FWD cv's into fixed rear wheel a arms is my next focus... How To? Everything I touch is Mustang 2 front end, or I beam, and Ford 9" in the ass end.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:29 PM
Master Fabricator

I believe that is what they did with the pontiac fiero. They took FWD driveline and locked it straight and put it in the back. Shay
Old 07-17-2014, 10:04 AM
Fabricator

Another Metal Twister build. Amazing!

SG
Old 07-17-2014, 10:56 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencyg View Post

Another Metal Twister build. Amazing!

SG
What is that supposed to mean? Just gathering parts right now. I'm so busy with the seat business who know when I will actually get around to starting it. I'm in the process of turning a 40 Chevy 4 door sedan into a sedan delivery at the moment. Also building a pretty serious V.W. for off road... cage, engine cage, new front and rear suspension, and my off road trailer is just about done. Just what I need is another trailer right? lol
Old 07-17-2014, 11:00 AM
Fabricator

It means I admire your creativity and look forward to seeing where this thing goes.

SG
Old 07-17-2014, 11:11 AM
Master Fabricator

Oh... LOL Thought I was putting out too much crap and everyone was rolling there eyes and really thinking "Oh Great, another m.t. build" lol Thanks for the complement... I got out of bed all pissy this morning for some reason. Think its the pressure of running your own business!
Old 07-19-2014, 05:44 PM
Fabricator

My very first car was a '65 VW Baja Bug. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for them. I look forward to seeing what you craft. I never liked most of the various kits that came out to modify the bug. I thought the "Rolls Royce" nose was horrible. Yours however looks like it could be a really cool build. I've seen a few 'dubs around with solid drop front axles with wishbones. It would certainly fit the theme of yours.

Like everyone else, love the pictures!

Joanne
Old 07-19-2014, 06:12 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joanne View Post
My very first car was a '65 VW Baja Bug. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for them. I look forward to seeing what you craft. I never liked most of the various kits that came out to modify the bug. I thought the "Rolls Royce" nose was horrible. Yours however looks like it could be a really cool build. I've seen a few 'dubs around with solid drop front axles with wishbones. It would certainly fit the theme of yours.

Like everyone else, love the pictures!

Joanne
Yep that is the plan... Dropped extended I beam with hairpins in the front. Ive been researching what to do with the rear suspension and it looks like I'm going to find a stock complete front suspension for the 87 crx. Transplant it to the rear and do away with the steering rod by building a very short one that I will attach to the shop built frame with heims for adjustment. I think that will work just fine for setting the toe. Camber should be just fine as well. Pretty much decided to build the engine, tranny, and accessories IE inter cooler and radiator to a cradle that I can remove from the car in one piece. That should make things really easy for heavy maintenance. I have a bunch of other projects I need to button up but I am giving it a lot of thought and collecting build parts. Hopefully here in the next month or so I can start doing something on it. Thanks for the kind word on the pics.
Old 07-19-2014, 06:30 PM
Master Fabricator

Not sure i like the look myself but thinking about your rear suspension,why not trailing arms,VW/audi trailing arms are common over here..any VW vans/4Motions or TT's in breakers there?(not the torsion tube type)and all use common CV's etc
Old 07-19-2014, 06:47 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350 Vortec View Post
Not sure i like the look myself but thinking about your rear suspension,why not trailing arms,VW/audi trailing arms are common over here..any VW vans/4Motions or TT's in breakers there?(not the torsion tube type)and all use common CV's etc
Two reasons really. I want to get the body carved down real close to the rear wheels much like a Model A Ford. Using the Vw torsion it puts everything too far back to accomplish The Body Mod. Also if I stick to stock Honda suspension stuff a quick trip to any parts store and I'm back in business. If I custom build it to fit a different torsion I'm kinda screwed till I can make another part... I think I would rather spend my energy on other aspects of the build. But very good thought. And for sure the concept isn't for everyone... but then again what is? LOL Thanks for the reply.

Last edited by METAL TWISTER; 07-19-2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old 07-20-2014, 11:44 AM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

I don't think you want to use short steering arms to lock the steering because it will have more significant bump steer. You probably should try to make them longer to mimic the neutral steering inside mounting point that the CRX would have had since this was likely designed to minimize bump steer. You can make the inside mounting point adjustable up and down to help you find the sweet spot.

Did the CRX use a double wishbone suspension or is it a strut setup?

Don't limit your challenges. Challenge your limits.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:51 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
probably should try to make them longer to mimic the neutral steering inside mounting point that the CRX would have had since this was likely designed to minimize bump steer. You can make the inside mounting point adjustable up and down to help you find the sweet spot.

wishbone suspension or is it a strut setup?
Great point and totally makes since... Thanks for the thought!!! So realistically I could just move everything back and lock it down. It is the last year of the strut style I believe. 1989? Not an import guy so this is all new to me. Being it all needs to be replaced Maybe I should be looking at something newer? My guess is that the CV and short shaft didn't change too much over the years?