Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Old 07-16-2017, 12:12 PM
Junior Fabricator

Ok, the only affordable option for tires worth having are 315/35R17s, and they could be wrapped onto Chinese aluminum 11" castings, copies of Corvette wheels. That's $1200 to get it rolling. Add another hundred to upgrade to 345/40R17 drag radials on the rear.
Any V8 from any Pick-N-Pull adds another $200, any trans another hundred. Going to need spindles, steering column, rear axle assembly, etc. Then enough new steel for a simple ladder frame brings it to $2500 for a rolling chassis.
If I bought a Fiberglass T bucket body and hauled it home myself, that makes it $3k.
The nickel and dime stuff is really $5-$50, things like motor mounts, brake lines, pedals, shifter, the list gets long. Then things like paint, comfy seats that fit, carpet, gauges, it's gonna add another grand.
Then take all those receipts to the DMV to get a title, unless you're a sovereign, then just draft an Affidavit of Allodial Title, get it Notarized, file a copy with your county registrar, post a copy in a public place like publicnotices.createaforum.com, then post a link to that on your Farcebook page.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:18 PM
Fabricator

popular over here are many many kit cars as you guys are probably aware. A lot now use MX5 (Miata to you guys?) and BMW. I am not a great fan of the Miata, not enough power, but the underpinnings are a good start point for a quick lightweight car if you have a decent engine and box to put in.
BMW, I am no fan of at all, but they make very good power for the money. Over here they are VERY cheap, a few hunderd pounds will get almost any of the big engined versions (as long as it isnt an M series) and they are easy to strip, lots of parts interchangeability, so a good option here. Are they cheap and plentiful over there? Same for us here with Subarus, cheap and easy to get hold of if you like something different as a donor vehicle. Either way dont feel you have to avoid anything with a Mcpherson strut up front, as they are easy to convert to wishbones with mushroom adaptors available off the shelf.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:22 PM
Fabricator

also if you want something with IFS and IRS modular... find yourself an old Jaguar, any of the XJ series. And XJS has LSD, inboard rear brakes etc etc... Again cheap over here, I woulnt pay over 400 for a whole car. You have engine choices too from 3.2, 4 litre, 6 cylinder, to the V8s and the supercharged v8s. All aluminium engines, very light for the size. On a budget, avoid the v12 like the plague... Power costs with them.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:39 PM
Junior Fabricator

Thanks. Miatas never did get cheap here, picking one up for under $5k is unheard of. None in the salvage yards, either, except totaled ones already stripped of every undamaged part.
The Jaguars with V8-capable IRS never have the IRS by the time they get out to the public part of the yard. Same for FC RX-7, which is rubbish anyway. The best candidate, on the rare occasion one gets scrapped, is the Z31 300ZX. Early versions were 4-lug, mid '87 went 5-lug.
I have a BMW, a '90 735i, E32, that developed an overheating problem at 345,398 miles. I replaced the belts, water pump, and thermostat, no joy, then replaced the viscous fan with electric, still no joy. I should have the radiator tanked / pressure flushed next, but I'm feeling about ready to call Vorshlag for a pair of LSx swap mounts.
My biggest problem with the E32 is there's no hope of tucking any decent front tire width. Second is how no one on either BMW forum can tell me if I have a 188 or 210 rear diff. I assume 188, which is too small for any LS V8. The Ford 8.8 IRS diff is lighter, stronger, and cheaper than the 210, with more choices of traction riffs and ratios, but mating its stub shafts to the German hubs is no affordable bolt-together.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:55 PM
Fabricator

convert e32 front to wishbone, then you have no tyre width issues? Or am I missing something blindingly obvious.
Old 07-16-2017, 12:57 PM
Fabricator

5k for a miata????? F**k me, I need to start exporting! Pardon my French
Old 07-16-2017, 02:40 PM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk Steel View Post
convert e32 front to wishbone, then you have no tyre width issues? Or am I missing something blindingly obvious.
I think I was the one missing the blindingly obvious. Solves the E32 suspension and steering interfering with the Corvette oil pan.

Back to this project, I borrowed some blank paper out of the printer, and started sketching. First a side view which quickly lost proportion, unless it's Paul Bunyan's car, then I Googled some measurements and tried a top view.
As much as I hate to accept it, I'm gonna hafta 3D model this in Sketchup Make on my old PC.
I also see it indeed will be a space frame, with conventional side by side seating for 2. So, very soon I need to take my wife to PNP to find a nice used pair of seats that we can agree are comfortable. Then I can insert their measurements into this.
It seems nice to not have to try to fit anything within any existing body, I can let form follow function. Whether or not the end result pleases any eyes is an aspect that may suffer, but this is a low- budget practice build.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:01 PM
Fabricator

not teaching you to suck eggs, but if it is a low buck build, get all your running gear together first, including propshaft, then do the chassis design. Over here having a prop made and balanced is an expensive option (we do our own but we have facilities)
Dont paint yourself into a corner, if the missus will tolerate a bunch of junk outside the house under a tarp, then mock all the oily bits up, and design a chassis around it. Steel is cheap, but modding the roundy roundy and uppy downy bits costs. That is my technical input, lol.
Old 07-16-2017, 03:05 PM
Fabricator

by the way we came on this forum first and foremost as bend tech fans, and I cannot personally recommend it highly enough. But if you have time on your hands between beers and TV, you can always make yourself a scale model in cardboard and bits and bobs. I used to do this myself, cardboard engine and gearbox etc, pencils for props and axles, and pipe cleaners for spaceframes. It sounds daft, but it's a start.
Old 07-16-2017, 04:58 PM
Junior Fabricator

I already have the engine and trans, several leftover driveshafts, and I worked at Rome Driveshaft for about 14 months, so I've shortened and re-balanced more than my share. The '90-'92 Ranger 4.0L 8.8" axle I plan to use isn't the most common, but I have spares of each different pinion flange they use, and my '01 E150 work van has an 8.8 in case I need any measurements.
I will need a telescoping steering column, as my build is about the exact opposite of my wife's. I'm like Jack Sprat, if you know that old nursery rhyme. And even if she never tries driving it, I want it built symmetrically in the interior.
Most forums are sponsored by a relevant business, so I'm not surprised to find it true here, but I already have 2 different LoCost 7s done in Sketchup. I've been using it since 2014, so I'm familiar with it, plus it's free.
If the forum sponsor wants to block me for not buying, fine.
Old 07-16-2017, 08:06 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsinkable View Post
The '90-'92 Ranger 4.0L 8.8" axle I plan to use isn't the most common,
I'm far from an expert in Rangers, but I think the 8.8 is used in the Rangers thru to end of production somewhere in the mid 2010's. Also the explorer [spring under axle] used them as well as the aerostar [from the 90's on]. All these have the same basic width.
My personal knowledge in Rangers is from mid 80's to '93

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsinkable View Post
If the forum sponsor wants to block me for not buying, fine.
I've never seen a problem with posting and not owning any product. They do keep a tight reign on politics and being an asshole.

Last edited by alwaysFlOoReD; 07-16-2017 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:00 AM
Fabricator

a couple of years back we had a customer present us with his idea for his car - it was a model using an RC car riolling chassis, with the spaceframe made from bendy straws and sellotape. Sounds rubbish, but it enabled us to see what he wanted well enough, and from it we built the 3 seater as an actual vehicle as well as replacing the drinking straws with metal to make a ascale model he gave his son for his Action Man toys.
Old 07-21-2017, 01:51 PM
Junior Fabricator

No progress, unless you count getting life's other difficulties dealt with and out of the way.
I've been trying to post pics, I'm gonna hafta get my teenage step-son to help.