Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > Software Tech/Questions

Software Tech/Questions Do you use CAD? Curious about it? It can be a great tool to have in the shop. This is the place to talk about it!

Software Tech/Questions Do you use CAD? Curious about it? It can be a great tool to have in the shop. This is the place to talk about it!

Old 12-22-2016, 02:00 PM
Junior Fabricator

Bend Tech Assembly File Request

I'm getting more and more comfortable with designing parts and chassis' in Bend Tech Pro 7X, I'm wondering if anyone has an assembly file that I could refer to to ensure i'm using the correct procedures and design features. I can guarantee not only will I not share the assembly file, but also will not build off of it. I wish to have a complete assembly file strictly for my own personal reference purposes. Thanks!
Old 12-22-2016, 03:02 PM
Master Fabricator

Confused...
What are you hoping to learn?
Old 12-23-2016, 10:54 AM
Master Fabricator

I have made dozens of cage assemblies and while, they all progress in BT sort of the same each one was different enough that I don't used a pattern...
Old 12-27-2016, 11:38 AM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
I have made dozens of cage assemblies and while, they all progress in BT sort of the same each one was different enough that I don't used a pattern...
As an example, I'm interested in the relationship between using pick points and the stretch function. I want to make sure I'm using the software to it's fullest potential and not doing unnecessary work. I think I'll be able to make these distinctions if i'm able to look at someone else's work.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:01 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewix View Post
As an example, I'm interested in the relationship between using pick points and the stretch function. I want to make sure I'm using the software to it's fullest potential and not doing unnecessary work. I think I'll be able to make these distinctions if i'm able to look at someone else's work.
I use measurement driven Pick Points and I work this way because that is what I measure when I take the necessary measurements off/for the project.
Admittedly, I do not use the full functionality of BT as far as the manipulating the design. My reason is simple, I am nearly always fitting a cage into an existing body envelope, you just can't move things much without hitting the body.
When I am working with the Header module I used every bit of everything!!

E
Old 12-28-2016, 08:37 AM
Master Fabricator

Years ago I meant to make a video showing what your asking about. Measurement to production of. An example of your pick point to stretch came to mind on an interior cage. Like E said, for this application there is not really any room for moving things much because your inside. However in this particular example I had drawn the x brace for the doors straight. This put the intersection of the tubes rather high. I was going for maximum strength. This made it take some effort to climb in the truck. The customer wanted it easier. Using the stretch feature, I simply grabbed the node and pulled it down to his liking. The software automatically corrected everything. I then saw that this created conflict with the handle for rolling down the window. Using the stretch again I moved it forward a bit to clear the window handle and arm rest. Bend-Tech corrected all the math instantly.
I think unnecessary work with the program is part of learning the program. The more you use it and search about it and ask questions, the better you will get with it. Cris has made leaps and bounds to add features and make this product easier to use. I still use the long way because that's what I know. The results are always spot on so I'm not to concerned how long it takes or what steps it takes for me to get there. The software has multiple means for inputting your data for this very reason. We all use it a bit different.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:14 AM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooteK View Post
Years ago I meant to make a video showing what your asking about. Measurement to production of. An example of your pick point to stretch came to mind on an interior cage. Like E said, for this application there is not really any room for moving things much because your inside. However in this particular example I had drawn the x brace for the doors straight. This put the intersection of the tubes rather high. I was going for maximum strength. This made it take some effort to climb in the truck. The customer wanted it easier. Using the stretch feature, I simply grabbed the node and pulled it down to his liking. The software automatically corrected everything. I then saw that this created conflict with the handle for rolling down the window. Using the stretch again I moved it forward a bit to clear the window handle and arm rest. Bend-Tech corrected all the math instantly.
I think unnecessary work with the program is part of learning the program. The more you use it and search about it and ask questions, the better you will get with it. Cris has made leaps and bounds to add features and make this product easier to use. I still use the long way because that's what I know. The results are always spot on so I'm not to concerned how long it takes or what steps it takes for me to get there. The software has multiple means for inputting your data for this very reason. We all use it a bit different.
Thank you, that was very helpful.
Old 12-30-2016, 01:08 AM
Master Fabricator

Ive been using BT for a while with several months of non use in between. Every time i use it i keep going back to "what i know" after trying the new features. I dont know how to use the fancy new add-ons, and for simple bends/designs, i still open up an assembly for the pick points.

Here are a couple threads i refer back to for inspiration:

The mad scientist Scootek's sweet Yota build:
http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/...ead.php?t=3735

Then the wizard Rock4XFab with his magnet/string trick:

http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/...=string&page=2

This one aslo mentions magnets and string:
http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/...=magnet+string

I hope this helps.
I too have plans to video layout from measuring to design to bending... i'll see if i can whip something out, heck, we all might learn something by watching me do it incorrectly

:SIGH:.... i wish all the OG members would visit and shed some insights...