Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > Benders and Bending

Benders and Bending Which bender is best? How do you use a bender? How do you calculate bends? Everything Bender related...

Benders and Bending Which bender is best? How do you use a bender? How do you calculate bends? Everything Bender related...

Old 01-01-2018, 04:00 PM
Master Fabricator

Hossfeld Bender

I just purchased a Hossfeld #2 bender a couple weeks ago to go along with my JD Squared Model 4. There were a few reasons for this, but one of the big ones is a client I do prototypes for keeps supplying drawings of brackets that are challenging to do other ways. As I researched different methods, the Hossfeld came up as an option to do some pretty interesting things with a variety of materials, so I pulled the trigger on the basic #2 bender, the tool set for bar stock, and a 3/4" square tubing die set.

Years ago, when I bought my other bender, the Hossfeld didn't seem like a great bang for the buck to bend tubing. And, if you're only doing tubing, it's probably not the best tool for the job. JD Squared and Pro Tools have taken the basic design that Hossfeld has made for over 80 years and refined it to bend tubing really well. But, the Hossfeld is the Swiss Army knife of benders...it can bend nearly anything that fits inside the frame if you have the correct tooling for it. They are relatively expensive compared to some benders, but the frames and pins are heat treated, and nearly all the tooling is cast iron.

So...here's the basic manual bender secured to my table. Eventually, I want to build a stand for it.

I had square tube tooling installed when this was taken. While I do have some square dies for my other bender, Hossfeld offers a tighter CLR than I can get for the other bender. I bought the smallest die, which is a 2" inside radius (2-3/8" CLR) because this project had some bends specified pretty close to that. The square tooling is different than my other bender. A single center die does a number of sizes, while the backing block and follow die are size specific.

This is an example bend in 3/4" x 0.065" square. There is some distortion, but it's as good or better than my client's production work.

One of the downsides to the Hossfeld tooling is you're not able to get as close to the end, or as close between bends as other benders. Something else interesting is there's an option to drill a hole in the tube and use a retaining pin if you're getting distortion in the bend (slipping and kinking). This is pretty much necessary with the tube I was using, but it worked out OK because I needed to cut off the pieces with drilled holes anyway.

The other tooling I've used so far is for flat stock, in particular the yoke and the "sharp square bending block". Here is what the yoke setup looks like in action:

And the type of part it allows you to do:

The legs of this clevis are over 3" deep, but only 1-5/16" apart. You could do this on a press brake with a tall window punch, but that's not something I have at my disposal. Hossfeld rates the yoke for doing 1/4" x 3" HR flat. This particular part was 1/8" x 2".

The other tool I've used is the sharp square bending block, which is for wider stock than will fit in the yoke. It's essentially the edge of a brake that allows bending flat up to 4-1/2" wide.

Here's one view of it in action (from the back side):

And from the other side:

There are two bending edges on this, one for under 1/4", and one for 1/4" and over.

Here's the part I was making, from 1/8" x 4" flat (before rounding the corners, etc.):

This would be tough in my little press brake because the first leg would contact the punch when bending the second leg. I've done it by bending a "W" shape and straightening it back out, but it's an extra step that can go wrong...

The Hossfeld bender is getting a big thumbs up from me so far. It definitely opens up some different ways of doing things that are really difficult otherwise. I also got some tooling for doing eyes and other bits from bar stock and I'm eagerly looking for an opportunity to try those out...possibly as some ornamental ironwork at some point.

Old 01-01-2018, 06:49 PM
Master Fabricator

Very cool. Thanks for the brief review. I've seen benders like this, but never paid much attention to their capabilities. Looks like it'll be a worthwhile addition to the shop. Congrats!
Old 01-02-2018, 12:11 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Thanks for taking the time to share all this. Hossfield has so much great tooling - some of the setups are insanely clever. I wish they had better quick visual rundown of all the things it can do. Their tool brochure shows the tooling very clearly, but it doesn't show clearly what kinds of parts can come out of each tool. They have a few YouTube videos that are great. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOf...gpRn2qEHlNTU0A

I'm sure some of the toolsets/functions could be replicated on a JD2 or Pro Tools bender, but Hossfield has everything ready to go.
Old 01-02-2018, 04:02 PM
Designer & Builder

Hossfeld was "the" bender back when I first got into off road fab in the 80's. Very versatile.
Old 01-03-2018, 07:45 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bray D View Post
Very cool. Thanks for the brief review. I've seen benders like this, but never paid much attention to their capabilities. Looks like it'll be a worthwhile addition to the shop. Congrats!
Thanks! It already is a worthwhile addition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
Thanks for taking the time to share all this. Hossfield has so much great tooling - some of the setups are insanely clever. I wish they had better quick visual rundown of all the things it can do. Their tool brochure shows the tooling very clearly, but it doesn't show clearly what kinds of parts can come out of each tool. They have a few YouTube videos that are great. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOf...gpRn2qEHlNTU0A

I'm sure some of the toolsets/functions could be replicated on a JD2 or Pro Tools bender, but Hossfield has everything ready to go.
Yeah, the manual is only 30 pages, and the catalog another 30 or so. It's very matter of fact..."this tool serves this function" kind of stuff. It would be nice if they showed more examples of what can be done with the different tools.

I started following the hashtag "hossfeldbender" on Instagram, and there's more examples of what can be done there. A lot of furniture and architectural stuff...which I would like to try my hand at for some stuff in the new house we're building.

You could do a lot of the same things with a JD squared, but you would about have to have knowledge of the Hossfeld tooling and access to it to duplicate certain things...and your time is worth something, too. Part of this started with me looking at the little HF bender, which is a copy of a copy of a #1 Hossfeld, with nearly none of the functionality or tooling available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.DesJardin View Post
Hossfeld was "the" bender back when I first got into off road fab in the 80's. Very versatile.
For sure. My dad had one with tons of tooling (and hydraulics!) in the early 90's, but he sold it off when he sold the shop. It would cost a fortune to duplicate what he had at that time.

The biggest issue I found looking for a used one is you generally find a set of rusty bender frames with a couple pieces of tooling and pins, but missing a lot of the stuff that comes with the basic bender. I think most of the problem is the application of the stuff is non-obvious, so it just gets lost over time...

Old 01-05-2018, 03:51 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

I am not saying the JD2 or Pro Tools benders SHOULD be adapted for Hossfield type duties, just pointing out that if a hobbyist like me has one of those and has a specific project they should open their mind to making tooling for it to do the specific task. JD2, Pro-Tools and the likes have chosen to focus on tube bending which means their marketing and product support is more focused in that area, whereas Hossfield while capable of doing tube bending is probably not going to be as good at responding to tube bending issues, but also has many more capabilities to offer.

I would love to have Hossfield tooling and the knowledge to use it but I feel like they could do much much better at marketing those capabilities, especially in the digital age. I'm not criticizing the capabilities or the merits of buying one over one of the tube bender companies' products.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:41 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
I would love to have Hossfield tooling and the knowledge to use it but I feel like they could do much much better at marketing those capabilities, especially in the digital age. I'm not criticizing the capabilities or the merits of buying one over one of the tube bender companies' products.
Absolutely. They're a very old school operation. Chances are if you call you will talk to Rollie, who is the guy on the YouTube videos. They do quotes via email, but you have to call them to order. I would hope they document the wealth of knowledge that's there because none of those guys are getting any younger...