Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Race Car Fabrication

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Race Car Fabrication There is a lot of cool fabriaction going on the race car industry, show us what you got.

Old 05-25-2017, 01:17 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

You sir are a fiberglassing animal.

Sometimes you win. Sometimes you learn.
Old 05-26-2017, 07:48 AM
Master Fabricator

It's what the fumes do to you Bandit!

Just raw out of the mould with a little dressing up to do, but these canards - fiddly as they are - turned out ok. Iíll dress the outer edge with Carbon Fiber.

You Tube videos on canards only show how to fit them. FIT them??? Gees I didn't know it was that hard. But I have been unable to find any on how to MAKE them - which is surely of far greater need. As a result I've decided to fill that gap with a tutorial that'll show step by step right from the start how to build them to fit your car and design using techniques and materials that any petrol head probably has already in their garage. Stay tuned.

Last edited by Redliner; 05-26-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old 06-02-2017, 05:54 AM
Master Fabricator

Just about got the larger tin canards dies finished today around which I am filming my latest fiberglassing tutorial on how to make these aero aids to your own design for your own car.

Old 06-05-2017, 07:26 AM
Master Fabricator

I finished the fiberglass molds of my tin canard dies today. Tutorial video out soon.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:10 PM
Master Fabricator

VIDEO TUTORIAL: How to make your own canards easily
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yEJs2t7j8pQ
Old 06-07-2017, 12:04 AM
Master Fabricator

Almost finished my canards

Old 06-08-2017, 08:41 PM
Master Fabricator

...just out of curiosity; since the front of most all production cars is a molded piece of Poly Urethane, unlike your custom FRP parts, just how would one secure these Canards to such a flexible surface? Make an inner panel to put fasteners through? Bond em on? Duct Tape

E

Old 06-08-2017, 09:30 PM
Master Fabricator

These canards have a lower flanged edge so you can just bolt them to your car bodywork, as you'll see at the end of this second part. Part A got 1,100 views in 24 hours. Let's release it's brother! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM5fHvGMrjY
Old 06-08-2017, 09:41 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post
These canards have a lower flanged edge so you can just bolt them to your car bodywork, as you'll see at the end of this second part. Part A got 1,100 views in 24 hours. Let's release it's brother! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM5fHvGMrjY
Hey! I was two of those views

Old 06-09-2017, 07:04 PM
Master Fabricator

Who says you can't make your own widebody kit? Bill shows how it can be done. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syZO0BGr8eI
Old 06-13-2017, 09:20 PM
Master Fabricator

Keep on smiling!
I'll be waiting for the walk around Vid when you get her done

E

Old 06-22-2017, 04:21 AM
Master Fabricator

At last I have finished sculpting both the dies of my 75mm wide body rear flares for the Interlude. Making molds of them began today with Gelcoat. Why purple? Because grey gets boring after a while. Although every car is different, I have made these to not just fit my Interlude, but as many cars as possible because I hope to sell a few copies to other guys building race cars. Even if they need a little trimming or adapting to fit other makes there's bugger all options out there for most race cars, and at worst these will save guys heaps of time on their projects.
Old 06-23-2017, 12:12 AM
Master Fabricator

Got my molds made up. At present fiberglassing is outstripping sheet metal fabrication postings on this site. Who would thunk it?

Old 06-23-2017, 12:49 AM
Master Fabricator

Lookin purty purple...
Old 06-23-2017, 09:41 PM
Master Fabricator

DISASTER! Looks like I forgot the PVA release when laying up these molds. Molds useless. Sculpted dies totally destroyed. Other one has the same problems. This shows what happens when the poly fiberglass resin locks into your fillers. Everything becomes one homogeneous block. Even the fiberglass parts of the die would not release from my purple Gelcoat. Days & days of work up in smoke - let alone the materials and money! Sometimes this just happens with fiberglassing; the shape beats you, your materials fail, or you just have a momentary lack of concentration like I apparently did. This project will have to go right back to the very start to making copies of the flares & vents used for sculpting. I don't even think I can save the tin base plates. To say I am not motivated to do that right now would be an underestimation in the Donald Trump league. Backburner on this project until after I get into my house for sure. aaaaaAAAAAAAHHHHHH!

Old 06-24-2017, 12:27 AM
Master Fabricator

That sucks.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:59 PM
Master Fabricator

Bummer. But... at least you have a big project to get back to to take the sting out

Old 06-26-2017, 01:06 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Ah bloody hell. That sucks so bad! Feeling your pain. Time for a break.

Sometimes you win. Sometimes you learn.
Old 06-28-2017, 11:03 PM
Master Fabricator

After my disaster with the Interlude rear flared guard molds I decided the best way forward was to remove as much of the crap from them as possible with a flapper disc. You can see the results after hours of sanding and re-charging of my three Milwaukee batteries over several days when all other jobs were done for the day. I will now need to cut the wheel arch flange off so I can get the cordless right into those flared edges, then I'll glue it back together. This will allow me to make rough copies in these purple molds, which I can then use as dies for a NEW set of molds once I fill, sand & tidy them right up. Much more involved than it normally would be, but the quickest way to redeem all my sculpting work on the car without having to go back to scratch on it.
Old 06-30-2017, 03:12 AM
Master Fabricator

Redemption! After many hours of grinding & sanding I was able to make a copy of an Interlude rear flared guard I sculpted for my new dirt Honda racer. If things had gone normally this aqua copy would have gone on the car. But with the disaster I had making the purple molds this copy will instead serve as the new die for making a better set of molds. There are minor imperfections in it and a few grinding marks (as expected), but these will now easily be removed with a little filler & final sanding to produce faultless molds. No - they will NOT be purple, and - yes the aqua copies popped out effortlessly as my work normally does. Problem overcome though not fully explained, and confidence returned. I might yet have these on the car for it's first race in a few weeks... we'll see.
Image may contain: grass and outdoor