Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Offroad Fabrication

Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication

Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication

Old 06-23-2009, 10:04 PM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand Bag View Post
This past show, you showed a dimple die press. You mentioned that in an earlier show, you showed how to fab this up. Do you know where I can get a copy of those plans?

Thanks, Ian

-Greg. I will be watching the show this weekend
I would like to see that set of plans too!
Old 06-24-2009, 03:00 AM
Fabricator

x3.....On press
Great shows....makes me want to start over on my parts collection
Old 06-24-2009, 05:02 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gn3dr View Post
Is there any way to see the previous 3 seasons on line?
If they can't be viewed online for free, you might be able purchase them at itunes.com
Old 06-26-2009, 12:58 PM
Junior Fabricator

I would like to see that set of plans also!!!
Old 06-26-2009, 06:14 PM

ITS A TRUE ROLLER....now time to tear it all apart for welding!!!!!!!

Old 06-26-2009, 08:02 PM
Master Fabricator

Stop screwing around with that buggy, and post up a link (or the plans) to that die press :P

BTW, that buggy is looking SICK!!!
Old 06-26-2009, 09:24 PM
Master Fabricator

nice work - its looking great
Old 06-28-2009, 12:16 PM
Fabricator

I'm going to ask this just for the sake of asking. I got 3 hours of sleep last night and I'm just sitting here wondering what will be the crawl ratio when this is done. I realize your using a welded honda auto trans for the trans/t-case, but doesn't that limit the capabilities of this buggy? Is there any other gear reduction on the buggy other than swapping to 5.29's in the axles?

BTW, the thing looks sweet and I think I'm going to have to build something like this soon!
Old 06-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Master Fabricator

I think RockApe mentioned in his pirate thread is about 66:1 before you talk about the fact it's an auto.. remember its adding a final drive (ring and pinion) of 4. something to 1 and a transmission
Old 06-29-2009, 12:43 AM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastro View Post
I think RockApe mentioned in his pirate thread is about 66:1 before you talk about the fact it's an auto.. remember its adding a final drive (ring and pinion) of 4. something to 1 and a transmission

I have no problem using an auto trans, I was just wondering what the final drive ratio was considering the was no t-case to provide a low range. I would still love to know what the drive ratio is using lets say 5.29 gears.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:30 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodworkingnw View Post
I have no problem using an auto trans, I was just wondering what the final drive ratio was considering the was no t-case to provide a low range. I would still love to know what the drive ratio is using lets say 5.29 gears.
I think you are still not fallowing it.I won't speak for Ian or RockApe but my front wheel drive transmission has 3.54 1st gear then it also has a final drive in it on top of that at 3.94 then you put your Toy axles under it for adtional gear at 5.29.So essentially in your 4x4 the 3.94 final drive would be your low range.Mine is 73.7:1 with a manual and his is 66:1 but his torque convertor in the auto in a since is doubleing that of a manual.So his machine is like gearing a manual at 132:1. If you can't crawl at that ratio at 2300# there is something wrong.Maybe one of those two will hop on here a clarify there exact numbers but that should give you a better picture.
Old 06-30-2009, 02:39 AM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by baxter View Post
I think you are still not fallowing it.I won't speak for Ian or RockApe but my front wheel drive transmission has 3.54 1st gear then it also has a final drive in it on top of that at 3.94 then you put your Toy axles under it for adtional gear at 5.29.So essentially in your 4x4 the 3.94 final drive would be your low range.Mine is 73.7:1 with a manual and his is 66:1 but his torque convertor in the auto in a since is doubleing that of a manual.So his machine is like gearing a manual at 132:1. If you can't crawl at that ratio at 2300# there is something wrong.Maybe one of those two will hop on here a clarify there exact numbers but that should give you a better picture.
With 5.29s the crawl ratio in first gear is 62:1 plus converter slippage(likely closer to 120:1).....I would post a pic of the honda auto with the upper case removed for a better visual but someone keeps deleting my pics so Im pretty much over trying to help with a visual here....I would try Pirate for info!!!

Oh and BTW....Ian,Change the axle end panhard mounts.....they need to be at least twice as tall as yours(and my originals...)are.Roll center will be much higher thus giving you a much more desirable effect when climbing verticle.
Old 06-30-2009, 11:08 PM
Fabricator

Thanks for the info. I understand what your saying now. Just one of those slow moments.
Old 07-25-2009, 09:14 PM
Junior Fabricator

ian, a quick question im considering on my toy moon buggy with flipped diffs: do you plan on overfilling the housing with oil to get oil to the upper pinion bearings, or is that a concern for you? the plates that most toy housings have about 4 inches inside the inner seal that the shafts slide thru- ive heard they to help keep the oil from sloshing into the inner seals and leaking past. lord knows how diff oil likes to get in the bells

so, 1, if you deliberatly over fill, the plates are a moot point and seals will leak (probably), and 2, if, you dont fill higher than normal, how will the upper pinion bearing keep lubed? or do you not think its even a issue? rob.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:15 AM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowjacket View Post
ian, a quick question im considering on my toy moon buggy with flipped diffs: do you plan on overfilling the housing with oil to get oil to the upper pinion bearings, or is that a concern for you? the plates that most toy housings have about 4 inches inside the inner seal that the shafts slide thru- ive heard they to help keep the oil from sloshing into the inner seals and leaking past. lord knows how diff oil likes to get in the bells

so, 1, if you deliberatly over fill, the plates are a moot point and seals will leak (probably), and 2, if, you dont fill higher than normal, how will the upper pinion bearing keep lubed? or do you not think its even a issue? rob.
THe rear of this buggy just has the housing flipped not the center sections,thats the beauty of using a Honda as you dont need to flip the centers since the engine spins reverse rotation.....He did use High pinion thirds so this may have added to the confusion.
Old 07-26-2009, 03:26 AM
Fabricator

Watched the show looks like its losing its budget!!! I like the links and bling axle parts though....once my new pro-mod is built Ill build a MO-Budget version(chassis is built already!!!).

One minor detail ,is only the s2000 and a few very late model hondas have electric power steering.Most have a regular power steering pumps that just spin rev rotation to match.The problem with the stock pumps is they are for rack-n-pinion type steering that only needs 700-900psi and very little volume compared to a full hydro set-up.

I used a stock application GM pump that is rev rotation.

Oh and be careful with the term "RICER" some honda guys with "TUNER CARS" might get offended!!!
Old 07-26-2009, 06:13 PM
Master Fabricator

I just saw the episode on this buggy being finished today. I didn't catch the name of the company that makes those links though what was it?
Old 07-26-2009, 06:20 PM
Master Fabricator

Cancel that, I figured it out
Old 07-27-2009, 02:18 AM
Fabricator

Great show man! I have been waiting to see this thing progress. What's with the trailer episode when you got a project like this in the background?! LOL

I wish my budget was like yours. This thing looks incredible! I couldn't even afford the tires! Can't wait to see this thing in action!
Old 07-27-2009, 04:11 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockape View Post
Watched the show looks like its losing its budget!!! I like the links and bling axle parts though....once my new pro-mod is built Ill build a MO-Budget version(chassis is built already!!!).

One minor detail ,is only the s2000 and a few very late model hondas have electric power steering.Most have a regular power steering pumps that just spin rev rotation to match.The problem with the stock pumps is they are for rack-n-pinion type steering that only needs 700-900psi and very little volume compared to a full hydro set-up.

I used a stock application GM pump that is rev rotation.

Oh and be careful with the term "RICER" some honda guys with "TUNER CARS" might get offended!!!
It's T.V.,it has to be blown out of proportion.LOL Really though I think the S2000 engine is what the buggy is missing."RICER",no just looking for light H.P..I get made fun of daily on this but I feel a lot will eat their words!Baxter out!