Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > General Fabrication

General Fabrication Any Fab that does not fit into another Forum

General Fabrication Any Fab that does not fit into another Forum

Old 02-07-2017, 09:43 AM
Junior Fabricator

Sand Blasting

I have been building bumpers for awhile now and I have been wanting to blast them before powder coat so the powder sticks better. I just have an outdoor blaster as of now but will be building a booth to do it in later on so that I can pick up the abrasive to reuse it. My real question is what is the best abrasive to use? I know that you can get the black fine coal slag, Aluminium oxide, or just regular sand all really cheap and in town. But I am looking for the best bang for my buck to give my bumpers a good surface to adhere to. I have heard good things about Steel bead shot, but am wondering what bead size to use.
Old 02-08-2017, 03:41 PM
Master Fabricator

What to use will depend on what is available in your area. Not all abrasives are available in all areas of the country. My friend that owns a sandblast business and my powder coater both use copper slag. I would NOT use silica sand. There is just too much health risk involved with silica sand. I don't think you can run steel shot through a sand blast pot, but I could be wrong. Personally I prefer a bit of a rough surface finish to give the powder or paint something to grab onto.
Old 02-08-2017, 05:32 PM
Junior Fabricator

That's what I am really trying to achieve is a rough surface finish for the powder coat to attach to well. From the different tests ive done with the surface finishes I have noticed a rough surface lets the powder attach alot better. I have done drop tests and crush tests and they just hold up alot better