Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > Benders and Bending

Benders and Bending Which bender is best? How do you use a bender? How do you calculate bends? Everything Bender related...

Benders and Bending Which bender is best? How do you use a bender? How do you calculate bends? Everything Bender related...

Old 02-09-2017, 05:10 PM
Master Fabricator

Bending 2.6mm wall tube with 2" x 6.5" CLR Die

I have a JD2 M32 with a 2" x 6.5 CLR Die, and am wanting to build a truck fully out of tube. I can get 50.8mm x 2.6mm wall CDS tube easily here in the uk but the specs for my die say I need minimum 3.0mm wall thickness. Has anyone tried using the thinner wall tube on a JD2 M32. If so what did it bend like?
Thanks in advance

Adam
Old 03-01-2017, 03:18 AM
Master Fabricator

The tube sits completely snug in the backing block but it does look like it sits out of the main die abit when I'm loading the tube in is that normal
Old 03-01-2017, 04:38 AM
Master Fabricator

Name:  20170215_201232-766x575.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  104.9 KB

I ordered 1m of 50.8 x 2.6 cds from a supplier here in the UK to check how well it bends it, and I'm happy with the bend quality considering the wall thickness is smaller than recommended for the die I run, I managed to calibrate bendtech at the same time. I have measured the distortion/shrinkage of tube and it's 47.8 at the narrowest bit of the bend,

Adam
Old 03-01-2017, 04:52 AM
Master Fabricator

I see you have a mark around the centre of your tube too mines like that but more of a gauge not just a mark that would rub off, the tube I'm using has a thin black coat of paint from manufacture would this be causing a problem too as it looks like from most the vids etc people using raw steel I think the bend quality of the jd32 is much better then the pt I had
Old 03-01-2017, 06:08 AM
Master Fabricator

There is a line on each side of the tube, but it is only a line and not scored into the tube.

I find the bend quality very good for the price of the bender, I have seen some roll cages made where the bend quality is not that good,

The only painted pipe I've used has been the wrong size for the die just to test the bender when I built it, so cannot comment on that issue you have sorry.

Regards

Adam