Go Back OFN Forums > Shop and Tool Talk > Benders and Bending

Benders and Bending Which bender is best? How do you use a bender? How do you calculate bends? Everything Bender related...

Benders and Bending Which bender is best? How do you use a bender? How do you calculate bends? Everything Bender related...

Old 01-19-2017, 07:01 PM
Master Fabricator

Backing blocks

Hi guys just wondering how many bends your getting before you have to dress up/polish your backing blocks

Iv only done a dozen bends (mild steel) and the backing blocks already putting deep marks into my bends surely you don't need to polish the backing block this often
Any guys with hydro set ups do you think my hydraulics are putting too much pressure on the backing block forcing the tube into it too hard maybe?

I use white silicon lube on every bend on the backing block is there something better or any suggestions?
Old 01-19-2017, 07:13 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Clean the tube well. Spray the tube along the length the backing block will travel. Make sure the block is clean as well before lubricating. I use white lithium grease - messy but it works well. The dies should last a long long time. A dozen bends should not be putting marks into your tube. There may be something embedded in the surface of your backing block - look it over carefully and make sure it has a smooth finish.

Sometimes you win. Sometimes you learn.
Old 01-19-2017, 07:17 PM
Master Fabricator

Yea I always clean the tube down and spray
I bought I round sanding disk for the drill might have to buff them up they must be soft and mark easy? Iv only ever put brand new tube through it no old rusty stuff
Old 01-20-2017, 09:50 AM
Site Admin

Which bender do you have?
http://www.BendTechDragon.com

Cris Merry
Phone: 651-257-8715
Cris@bend-tech.com

Old 01-20-2017, 05:05 PM
Master Fabricator

Pt105
I sanded and polished the backing block last night there still spears to be some Pitt marks in it tho will have to see how it goes when I bend next
Old 01-21-2017, 08:02 PM
Master Fabricator

It is my experience that with the Pro Tools backing blocks, you will never get totally away from having to dress and polish the backing blocks repeatedly. This is because the backing blocks are made from 1018 steel, which is the same as the mild steel tube being bent. This is especially prevalent with CREW tube. I have tried various things over the years to minimize the galling with little success. The best lube I have found to work at minimizing the galling is Lucas Red and Tacky grease. That grease probably doubled the number of bends I could make before I had to stop and polish the backing block again. This issue is one of the biggest reasons that I bought a JD2 Model 32 and am selling all of my PT dies and PT105 bender.
Old 01-22-2017, 08:13 PM
Master Fabricator

Has anyone tried protools delrin backing blocks??
Old 01-25-2017, 04:28 PM
Master Fabricator

I have not. I don't know how expensive they may be.
Old 01-25-2017, 06:36 PM
Master Fabricator

Jd dies don't fit in pt do they?
Old 01-25-2017, 06:39 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

No. The JD2 and PT benders have completely different hole locations. However JMR dies do fit in the PT105 bender.

Sometimes you win. Sometimes you learn.
Old 01-31-2017, 10:40 PM
Master Fabricator

Cracked the shits with this pro tools bender just spent an hour cleaning up and polishing the backing block two bends latter it's back to putting big scratches in my tube again, the main die now also seems to be marking the tube, at first I thought my ram maybe putting too much weight on the arms but as I cycle through a bend with my angle gauge on the arms it stays at zero deg the whole bend inspecting a lot of my bends I'm now noticing a lot are not even round and are slightly flattened out on the outside of the bend this was confirmed with some vernier as well dunno what to do could my hydraulic set up be causing this when I'm bending I don't go fast or anything just a nice speed just ordered a jd32 spent ALOT now and don't seem to be getting anywhere should I chuck the towel in in the hydraulics and just manuel bend I dunno where the problem lies.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:51 AM
Master Fabricator

I get some slight flattening to the bends with my jd2 m32, from memory I bent 50.8mm 3.2mm wall tube with 6.5" clr die and it flattened to 48.8mm so 2 mm difference approx 4% ( was bent manually before hydraulic conversion) I was happy with that, how much flattening are you Getting? I've not checked for scratching to the tube as not used the bender much I will see if I can look at some tubes I bent for a friend in the next week or so to see.

Adam
Old 02-01-2017, 02:57 AM
Master Fabricator

Enough to look at it by eye from the back of the bend and it look out of shape kinda like an egg shape it's only 38x3mm it's going out of shape to about 36.5mm
Old 02-01-2017, 12:14 PM
Master Fabricator

Have you talked to Pro-tools?
Old 02-01-2017, 04:28 PM
Master Fabricator

Yea told me to use white grease and should be fine.
Iv already had one backing block swapped over from them as it wasn't machined properly, starting to think the main die hasn't been machined properly ether as everything on the bender is all completely square pins you can pull out with two fingers so I not sure what's going on
Old 02-02-2017, 07:24 PM
Master Fabricator

Sold the pro tools with 4 dies 2 of which I never used and bought a jd 32 with 2 dies for same price does anyone know if the bender mount holes to bolt to the stand are in the same position so I can bolt it straight on and start bending again?
Old 02-03-2017, 02:27 PM
Master Fabricator

Name:  20170203_182248-587x783.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  106.4 KB

These are the dimensions from when I made my brackets laser cut

Hope it helps

Regards

Adam

Image was originally to small so changed it to hopefully make measurements clearer, dimensions in mm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170203_182248-367x489.jpg (49.2 KB, 38 views)

Last edited by Adam Gardiner; 02-03-2017 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:32 PM
Master Fabricator

Having hydraulics on your bender should not affect the bend quality at all. That is typically a result of the profile machined into the die and backing block. There is going to be some ovaling of the tube regardless of who's bender you have. Some designs of dies can produce slightly better quality than others. The only way around that is with a mandrel bender. I would adapt your hydraulics to your new JD2 Model 32. I think you will be much happier with the Model 32.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducas99 View Post
Cracked the shits with this pro tools bender just spent an hour cleaning up and polishing the backing block two bends latter it's back to putting big scratches in my tube again, the main die now also seems to be marking the tube, at first I thought my ram maybe putting too much weight on the arms but as I cycle through a bend with my angle gauge on the arms it stays at zero deg the whole bend inspecting a lot of my bends I'm now noticing a lot are not even round and are slightly flattened out on the outside of the bend this was confirmed with some vernier as well dunno what to do could my hydraulic set up be causing this when I'm bending I don't go fast or anything just a nice speed just ordered a jd32 spent ALOT now and don't seem to be getting anywhere should I chuck the towel in in the hydraulics and just manuel bend I dunno where the problem lies.

Last edited by Captainfab; 02-03-2017 at 04:35 PM.
Old 02-03-2017, 04:38 PM
Master Fabricator

Hopefully the jd will be on my doorstep weds next week
Old 02-03-2017, 04:40 PM
Master Fabricator

You definitely should not have any galling/scratching of the tube with the superior design of the JD2 backing blocks.