Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Offroad Fabrication

Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication

Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication

Old 06-17-2009, 01:51 AM

So to get this thread back on topic, be sure to watch this weekend for Budget buggy part 2, plu sour KOH preview special.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:02 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian from Xtreme View Post
So to get this thread back on topic, be sure to watch this weekend for Budget buggy part 2, plu sour KOH preview special.
PVR records every show , same with Musclecar .
Old 06-17-2009, 02:29 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
This past show, you showed a dimple die press. You mentioned that in an earlier show, you showed how to fab this up. Do you know where I can get a copy of those plans?

Thanks, Ian

-Greg. I will be watching the show this weekend
Old 06-17-2009, 03:49 AM
Master Fabricator

When does the show get posted on the website so I can watch??? I work nights and usually am sleeping when the show is on (or in the garage working on my junk).

As for the dimple die press, I basically built a "hangman's" gallows type setup out of: I beam base and 2x4x.375 tube. Used a bottle jack set on the I beam and it presses up into the 2x4. I've got a vertical about 30" tall then about 18" up I run out 16" with another piece of tube parallel with the base. I gusseted the crap out of it and ran tubing on the back side for bracing as well. Works pretty good for $20.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:52 AM
Master Fabricator

x2 on that I've watched the chevy, scrambler and scout shows on the website like 50 times waiting for this crawler to show up....

when will it hit the website?
Old 06-17-2009, 11:27 AM
Master Fabricator

It's up now, just got done watching it. Nicely done Ian!
One question, aimed more at the marketing yahoos at PowerblockTV... Why did I have to watch the same Edge Controller commercial EVERY 2 MINUTES??!!! Rather annoying, if it had been at least DIFFERENT commercials it wouldn't have been so bad, but this was the same dang thing each time, and was between every 1:45 and 2:10 through the whole show!!!

But I'm liking the front end you did on this one even moreso than RockApe's original version. Can't wait for next episode! PLEASE tell me it's gonna be next weekend!!!
Old 06-17-2009, 12:05 PM
Master Fabricator

I just watched the vid! i want one!! i knew there was a reason i kept my integra after it got totalled last winter! thats the same engine and tranny Ian is using, now i just need to get a bender and some axles!
Old 06-17-2009, 03:06 PM
Master Fabricator

I just watched it also, I cant wait for the axles flip 'n' switch I hope he covers it in depth... also I thought he was going to cover KOH '09....? Ian always a cool one
Old 06-17-2009, 04:07 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastro View Post
I just watched it also, I cant wait for the axles flip 'n' switch I hope he covers it in depth... also I thought he was going to cover KOH '09....? Ian always a cool one
In the episode he said the drivetrain was reverse rotation, and by putting a reverse rotation drivetrain in the rear everything came out standard rotation. Thus no need to flip 'n' switch the axles.

This is actually the first episode I have watched. Pretty cool stuff, looks like a fun job to have. Hey Ian, you want to hire an Electronics tech, who is just one year away from a ME degree????

Of course I don't think I could relocate to Cali, and I'm too pretty for T.V. so it probably wouldn't work out anyways.

Three Willy\'s Wagons in various states of rust
Old 06-17-2009, 04:46 PM
Master Fabricator

so , dont you still need to spin the front axlehousings centersection to get regular oiling? and cut and turn the knuckles?
Old 06-17-2009, 07:10 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellmn View Post
He had to flip the axle housing to get the diff on the correct side, then rotated the knuckles to get 'em right side up again. Now, as you've mentioned, the thing'll try to go backwards when the front's trying to go forwards, so you take out the third, flip it over (right side up again), move a couple bolt holes/studs, and bolt it in. Except you can't cuz the housing had a bulge for the ring gear, so you cut off the pan, rotate it 180* and weld it back on. Reinstall the third and both axles are cooperating again.

this ^^^
Old 06-17-2009, 09:57 PM

Yes the axle flip will be covered in detail, once you see it on TV I am sure it will make perfect sense...it is alot of work but in the end aren't we all into this for the "turnin and burnin"?
Old 06-18-2009, 01:14 PM
Master Fabricator

I guess since you quoted me about "dislike" of the rotary screw compressor it appeared as if I didn't like them. It's just the opposite. I practically have intimate dreams about these types of compressors. As with others, I just think that type of coin is difficult to justify in a 2 car garage shop type environment. Don't get me wrong, I'd LOVE to have one of those. For now I'll just stick with a cheaper compressor and use a traditional moisture trap.

Quote:
I know alot of you dislike the Rotary screw compressor and I understand that the cost can be considered "high" but think about this. The Xtreme shop is fed by a rotary screw type compressor, with a refrigerant dryer that delivers very high quality, cool dry air.

Now get this......

I replace my plasma consumables ONCE a year. They last an extremely long time, and the cuts are very high quality for the entire year. I have worked in shops with bad air and it chews up plasma consumables very quickly....just food for thought.
Old 06-18-2009, 04:35 PM
Junior Fabricator

Wow, just finished watching the last episode...3 times. Awesome project Ian. I think you hit a homer for 3 reasons.

1. "Single" Buggy- small, lighter, with potential of a smaller tow rig/trailer (less is more)
2. Cost Effective- everyone cries about cost, but this is damn near do-able for most
3. 2 Car Garage Effect- "...if you can do it..."

Saw the original prototype and 3 productions before "editing" a few pages back, but will there be reference later how to purchase the Bend Tech file or cage ? Thanks again and waiting for the next show. 'Course, it wouldn't hurt our feelings here to see some more pre-production pic's.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:03 PM
Master Fabricator

I too watched the episode multiple times. I watched it twice back to back, then once the next day. I can't get enough of anything fabrication related, and the Xtreme episodes are the only ones that I have marked to keep in my DVR so they can't get overwritten.

With regards to buying them, find the thread over at therockgods.com. I won't post a direct link as he's not a sponsor, but he sells complete chassis' and is out of Nevada (Reno I believe). He does NOT sell the Bend Tech file. Ian was able to get it, well, because he's on TV and TV's the ultimate publicity and is why we're talking about this cool buggy. :) Anyway, Rockape is the guy who builds 'em and he's a member here and posted earlier so I'm sure you can PM him for details. :)

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Used Gum View Post
Wow, just finished watching the last episode...3 times. Awesome project Ian. I think you hit a homer for 3 reasons.

1. "Single" Buggy- small, lighter, with potential of a smaller tow rig/trailer (less is more)
2. Cost Effective- everyone cries about cost, but this is damn near do-able for most
3. 2 Car Garage Effect- "...if you can do it..."

Saw the original prototype and 3 productions before "editing" a few pages back, but will there be reference later how to purchase the Bend Tech file or cage ? Thanks again and waiting for the next show. 'Course, it wouldn't hurt our feelings here to see some more pre-production pic's.
Old 06-18-2009, 06:25 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Yes the axle flip will be covered in detail, once you see it on TV I am sure it will make perfect sense...it is alot of work but in the end aren't we all into this for the "turnin and burnin"?

Nuts, I must have been mistaken about what I thought I saw in the first episode. That'll teach me. I think I'll just go back to lurking and learning again :)

Three Willy\'s Wagons in various states of rust
Old 06-21-2009, 01:55 PM
Master Fabricator

Finally caught the buggy on your show. It really looks good.
I like the view the driver has too. Looking forward to the first time you hammer it.
Old 06-22-2009, 04:50 PM

Just a reminder that if you missed hte show you can watch it here:

http://www.spike.com/show/30058
Old 06-22-2009, 05:19 PM
Master Fabricator

Great television!
Old 06-23-2009, 05:05 PM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Just a reminder that if you missed hte show you can watch it here:

http://www.spike.com/show/30058
Great to be able to see this - all we get on TV over here is American Chopper and some crappy London based chop shop thing.

Is there any way to see the previous 3 seasons on line?