Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Offroad Fabrication

Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication

Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication

Old 06-13-2009, 12:50 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockape View Post
Today is the first episode of this build on xtreme.......either that Or Ian is telling me a story!!!
coolness

glad youre connected to this, hope it all works out well for you. great work btw.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:57 PM
Junior Fabricator

Man, just saw the first episode with the buggy. I'm hooked. C'mon Rockape, you could make some dough for that profile. I've tried numerous times on BT pro to reporoduce your buggy chassis, NO matter what I do, it don't look like yours!
Old 06-13-2009, 07:10 PM
Fabricator

I saw that episode and now I want one. HMMMMM, I already have a motor, tranny, t-case, axles. What else am I waiting on. Oh yeah, the bender!
Old 06-14-2009, 01:31 PM
Master Fabricator

watched part of the 1st part of the build today , some budget shop ya set-up LOL , ya have to tell me how much you spent on the toolbox and the monster of a compressor ?? i was right along with the build till i saw you put those two items in the shop . totally blew 99% of the viewers budget right there . same deal with the bender , you buy Big$$$ items like that then cheap out on the welder , i was very disappointed truthfully i thought you proportioned the $$$ out poorly . myself i would have done it differently purchase wise but it,s your show so do it as you feel .

cool build as with all the others i look forward to the final project in action
Old 06-14-2009, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikefrombc View Post
watched part of the 1st part of the build today , some budget shop ya set-up LOL , ya have to tell me how much you spent on the toolbox and the monster of a compressor ?? i was right along with the build till i saw you put those two items in the shop . totally blew 99% of the viewers budget right there . same deal with the bender , you buy Big$$$ items like that then cheap out on the welder , i was very disappointed truthfully i thought you proportioned the $$$ out poorly . myself i would have done it differently purchase wise but it,s your show so do it as you feel .

cool build as with all the others i look forward to the final project in action
Total tool cost out the door was 15-20K depending on options...I love the small lincoln. It can handle all the welding you would need to do for this particular project plus with teh smaller gun it fits into tight areas easier.

Sorry you don't agree with it...but I live a by a simple code taught to me by me grandfather when it comes to tools.....buy quality, best you can afford...think of them as an investment that you can get paid back for with work....you might want to buy cheaper (E.G., Harbor frieght) tools...but in the end they just cost you time and money when they do a poor job, or break when you need them most.
Old 06-14-2009, 03:44 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian from Xtreme View Post
Total tool cost out the door was 15-20K depending on options...I love the small lincoln. It can handle all the welding you would need to do for this particular project plus with teh smaller gun it fits into tight areas easier.

Sorry you don't agree with it...but I live a by a simple code taught to me by me grandfather when it comes to tools.....buy quality, best you can afford...think of them as an investment that you can get paid back for with work....you might want to buy cheaper (E.G., Harbor frieght) tools...but in the end they just cost you time and money when they do a poor job, or break when you need them most.

i always buy the best i can afford , hell i,ve spent close to $80K in the last 5yrs on tools and machines , but the difference is i run a business from my shop at home and have a way to recoup my investments as well as a taxwrite off , if i just dropped 15 to 20K on tools just to build a project that would be stupid IMO , when you could still buy decent quailty tools to do the same job and spend half the $$ and still have a bunch left to start the build .

the point i,m trying to make is when you call a build a BUDGET BUILD from a 2car garage , stick with that principal , off hand i can,t think of too many homeshops ;let alone business's that have a screwtype aircompressor with a air dryer built in ?? does your shop at home have this item ?? same deal with the bender , i,m betting 90% of the guys on here use a JD2 or similiar model , cheap and very effective at what it does .

i love the principal behind the builds and the show but am very tired of these supposed BUDGET BUILDS and homeshops set-ups . in the future it would be nice if the show set a budget and spent the time too show you exactly where and HOWMUCH the items cost rather then stating $15 to $20K , we don,t have MATCO up here in Canada , at least out west so i have no freaking clue what that toolbox cost nor the welding table etc.LOL

not Hatin just trying to get things into prospective for the current bluecollar working stiff in the tough economy .
Old 06-14-2009, 03:49 PM
Master Fabricator

I think we can all agree that 5 different guys would stock the same 2 car garage 5 different ways. I don't think, in this case, the brand name matters all that much. I think it's more about the tool type, i.e. does it really matter if the bender is a tube shark or a jd2? If you are bending miles of tube you might be better off with the tube shark, if you are building a bumper or two a manual bender would be fine.

Ian, nice idea with the small shop build series you have been doing!
Old 06-14-2009, 03:51 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
not Hatin just trying to get things into prospective for the current bluecollar working stiff in the tough economy .
Don't forget that it's a show and he does have sponsors to support.

Didn't see the episode but sounds interesting... Maybe someday I'll get to see it. Thank God for reruns this winter when I don't have a project going!

Paul G.
Old 06-14-2009, 06:13 PM
Junior Fabricator

[quote=Ian from Xtreme;65471]Beause it is a transaxle buggy the power will be diverted to the wheel with the most "slip" like a standard differential....if the front has traction the buggy goes forward, if the rear has traction it will go backward you just have to be able to see where the rocks are and plan you driving

Ian,
Just finished watch-n the show today. You touched on this subject and I totally get it. Way bitchen! You have the coolest job!
I would guess this trans has been put to the test on RockApes rig? Does it hold up to the abuse? Come on... this thing was made for a car rolling on the street.
Mike
Old 06-14-2009, 06:38 PM
Fabricator

On the subject of shop equipment....the chassis I build are done with....

-250amp lincoln mig(got used $1000)
-m-tech model 3 bender converted to hydro by me(about $1700 w/dies)
-big hypertherm 1000 plasma(almost 2K,but waaaay more machine than I need)
-m-tech $200 hole saw notcher
-craftsman drill press,and 80 gal air compressor
-Bend-tech Pro SE<-----if you dont have it you should!!Especially if you plan to do any production.

But on the upside Torchmate CNC Plasma cutting systems is local and a sponsor, so all of my brackets and tabs are done by them(I hate making brackets....too time consuming!!!)

Im not sure you need the bling tool box or air compressor that xtreme has but again they have a show to run and sponsors are how it gets done........

Hey Ian Ill trade ya my craftsman air compressor for that too blingy version.....just to make ya feel better!!!!

Last edited by rockape; 06-14-2009 at 06:44 PM. Reason: spelling....
Old 06-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikegyver1 View Post
I would guess this trans has been put to the test on RockApes rig? Does it hold up to the abuse? Come on... this thing was made for a car rolling on the street.
Mike
I have yet to have an issue, I did break the rear toyota bolt-on yoke at the rear axle making full throttle attempts at a nasty climb.....trans has had no issues yet.I can tell you I have only ever replaced 1 88-91 civic auto for a failure in my 15 years as a honda tech....
Old 06-15-2009, 07:02 PM
Junior Fabricator

I like the build and definently want one . as far as the price on tools I would say you can do the same job with cheaper ,I would guess that why there is just a general price. I,ve paid for the same kind of tool twice maybe even three times and have found it way cheaper to buy a tool that will do the job for whatever you can imagine cause one day you will try to build it . I too however am curious about the price of that portable band saw and stand?
Old 06-16-2009, 12:26 PM
Fabricator

I don't know if anyone noticed, but in the show when he mentions the big rotary screw compressor Ian mentions that for those looking to build up a business it would be the best deal in the long run. Yes, as of now you may not need that big of one, but as a business owner that had a custom cabinet shop, the tools will save you time and money in the end. However they don't come cheap.

As a small shop, one of the first investments was a 15K sliding table saw. I could have gotten by with a 3K one, but the more expensive one sped up production and also created a much nicer product in the end.

It just shows you that depending on what you want to do will also depend on the tools you buy.
Old 06-16-2009, 07:25 PM
Master Fabricator

I think we can argue what tools are "necessary" until we're blue in the face. I think most of his tool choices were pretty good for the person who wants to take his hobby to the next level and do some work for his buddies and the occasion customer. When you're getting paid, these additional tools pay for themselves via productivity. If vehicle fabrication is your thing, then a 175 welder is perfect for the vast majority of jobs (though I'd pick a blue welder. :) ). The entry level tig and plasma are also perfect for what the intended hypothetical use of this shop is. The homemade dimple die setup is good as well. I think the tubeshark may be a bit much and most would unlikely have this piece of equipment at this point.... but I can see it. I have a buddy with a entry level professional grade bender in his garage.

The only thing that jumps out as a bit excessive is the compressor and that was pure advertising for his sponsor. With an exception for those using DA sanders all the time, the single guy working out of his garage can get away with the typical 30 gallon compressor for every job I've ever seen. I'm a air tool snob and my my 6.8SCFM compressor only runs out of air when using a DA air sander. Other than that, I can use my quality impacts, body saws, air ratchets, air drills, etc without my compressor working up a sweat. Is my air hotter and wetter? Sure. ...but my Ingersoll Rand tools aren't running all day long like they'd be in a full service shop. Heck with my IR2131 impact, I can take all 20 lugs off my Jeep with my 3 gallon pancake compressor before it kicks on (that's what I keep in my toy hauler). Once you start adding other folks working at the same time is when it's time to step up and lay down the bigger $$$.

Oh, the hand tools. I believe those were reasonable as well for the intended use of this "shop". Most of my tools are still various Craftsman, and they're garbage. So I can relate with buying quality right away. I've been slowly rotating high quality tools in for the junk I have. Since I don't wrench for a living I can afford to replace tools slowly as needed and have already replaced the most tools, ratchets, screw drivers, etc. :) If I were to buy tools over, I'd buy the best I could afford.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mingoglia View Post
I think we can argue what tools are "necessary" until we're blue in the face. I think most of his tool choices were pretty good for the person who wants to take his hobby to the next level and do some work for his buddies and the occasion customer. When you're getting paid, these additional tools pay for themselves via productivity. If vehicle fabrication is your thing, then a 175 welder is perfect for the vast majority of jobs (though I'd pick a blue welder. :) ). The entry level tig and plasma are also perfect for what the intended hypothetical use of this shop is. The homemade dimple die setup is good as well. I think the tubeshark may be a bit much and most would unlikely have this piece of equipment at this point.... but I can see it. I have a buddy with a entry level professional grade bender in his garage.

The only thing that jumps out as a bit excessive is the compressor and that was pure advertising for his sponsor. With an exception for those using DA sanders all the time, the single guy working out of his garage can get away with the typical 30 gallon compressor for every job I've ever seen. I'm a air tool snob and my my 6.8SCFM compressor only runs out of air when using a DA air sander. Other than that, I can use my quality impacts, body saws, air ratchets, air drills, etc without my compressor working up a sweat. Is my air hotter and wetter? Sure. ...but my Ingersoll Rand tools aren't running all day long like they'd be in a full service shop. Heck with my IR2131 impact, I can take all 20 lugs off my Jeep with my 3 gallon pancake compressor before it kicks on (that's what I keep in my toy hauler). Once you start adding other folks working at the same time is when it's time to step up and lay down the bigger $$$.

Oh, the hand tools. I believe those were reasonable as well for the intended use of this "shop". Most of my tools are still various Craftsman, and they're garbage. So I can relate with buying quality right away. I've been slowly rotating high quality tools in for the junk I have. Since I don't wrench for a living I can afford to replace tools slowly as needed and have already replaced the most tools, ratchets, screw drivers, etc. :) If I were to buy tools over, I'd buy the best I could afford.
I know alot of you dislike the Rotary screw compressor and I understand that the cost can be considered "high" but think about this. The Xtreme shop is fed by a rotary screw type compressor, with a refrigerant dryer that delivers very high quality, cool dry air.

Now get this......

I replace my plasma consumables ONCE a year. They last an extremely long time, and the cuts are very high quality for the entire year. I have worked in shops with bad air and it chews up plasma consumables very quickly....just food for thought.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:12 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian from Xtreme View Post
I know alot of you dislike the Rotary screw compressor and I understand that the cost can be considered "high" but think about this. The Xtreme shop is fed by a rotary screw type compressor, with a refrigerant dryer that delivers very high quality, cool dry air.

Now get this......

I replace my plasma consumables ONCE a year. They last an extremely long time, and the cuts are very high quality for the entire year. I have worked in shops with bad air and it chews up plasma consumables very quickly....just food for thought.

i have no dislike for the screw design , i just feel dropping $8K ++ on a compressor is insane unless your using it nonstop 8hrs aday , i have buddies with cnc plasma, cnc laser tables as well as buddies with body shops , non of them are running a compressor anywhere near what you choose , the only guy i know running a similiar set-up runs a 10,000sqft shop off the compressor , he has 3 cnc lathes , 3 mandral benders and has 4 to 5 guys running airtools all day , he also does some media blasting as well so it,s warranted IMO .

now here,s a comparrison when you build a motor for one of your projects why don,t you use the same mentality ?? instead of using a rebuilt stock production block why not buy a CN Billet block ??? billet crank , billet rods etc.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:33 PM

Quote:
now here,s a comparrison when you build a motor for one of your projects why don,t you use the same mentality ?? instead of using a rebuilt stock production block why not buy a CN Billet block ??? billet crank , billet rods etc.
Sometimes I do, when I built the motor for the CORR truck I did use World Products Mon-o-War block and CNC's heads. When I built the D-Max for the gorilla it recieved billet cracked cap rods, and a billet crank.

I am not saying that alot shops don't run on 2 stage compressors, because they do...but when you spend some time thinking about the Screw is a good investment.
Old 06-16-2009, 10:51 PM
Master Fabricator

Ian, I sent you a PM regarding the home built dimple die press you talked about on the show this weekend. I was wondering if you had a drawing/plan for it?
Old 06-16-2009, 11:11 PM
Junior Fabricator

2 car fab shop and budget buggy

Just saw the new 2car shop episode and got hooked because that's essentially what I have and look forward to where you go with it in the home brew tool direction. I have a 60 gallon single stage compressor and would love for it to blow up so I can get something that will not run as often with the air saw or DA sander. Screw compressor is out of range though. Joined the forum because I liked Teenecar's roll bender and now I am building my own roll bender to add to the JD2 so I can make some of the nice long curves for windshield bars and just to look different than all the other trucks out there. Did you know about the Rhino mini monster trucks before the build? They also used the inline 4 with a front wheel drive transmission as a transfer case but did not look all that great.
Old 06-17-2009, 01:07 AM
Master Fabricator

Guys could we slow the jacking on this thread a tad bit? I know I'm bad about it too but I don't think there has been a reply in the last ten that had anything to do with the buggy.It's T.V. get over the $$ and make your own assumptions on what it would take.They have to keep sponsors happy or we won't have anything to watch.