Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Old 04-27-2011, 02:24 PM
Master Fabricator

Turbo Mercedes, and other random stuff...

So I was brought a 73 Mercedes (another LeMon, not the same car) and this:

My instructions where to "make it work". I had no idea what I was doing, so an intense amount of research, and I have a rough idea...

The local radio station I listened to went under, and my boom box sucked anyways. I've had these old school Cerwin Vega speakers laying around since I moved into the new shop, and my friend had a damaged but working amp. That was motivation to finally hook it up and run Pandora. Kinda ghetto, but it sounds great.

And speaking of old school audio, I am a sucker for it. This is my "new" amp for the shop truck.

And my "new" sub.

Both early 2000s, and I have an Alpine deck from 2001. Gonna have a nice old school system, lol.

Anyways back to the turbo...

Saab T3 rebuilt and converted to carbon seal. Painted everything with VHT paint, and surprisingly it hasn't flaked or discolored yet. Only about 5 hours of hard driving, but the hardware changed color. I'm impressed, for rattle can paint.

My friend brought over a T3/T4 eBay turbo to see if it would fit. Rubbed the fender a bit. But my employee has it now, putting a draw through turbo on his 65 Chevy with a 250 I6, since this one worked so well.

Doing final assembly. Still had my fingers crossed at this point.

Also still working on this chassis, very slowly between projects right now. Need to get back to it, for a show next month!

First time it fired and ran. Started on the first try. Tuned for about 3 days straight.

The car, and mini air scoop.

The end result, the car made huge power gains at 7 PSI. Will chirp the tires in 2nd every time. Once we got it tuned pretty well, it will break loose in 2nd. Its a high mileage car with almost no maintenance. Tightened the head bolts, but its bubbling oil out after boosting between the head and block. Valve seals are likely bad, it burns a good amount of oil. He said he will see how it does at the first race in a week or two. And if its satisfactory, will do some engine work.

That aside, I was impressed with not only the car, but myself. I had never played with turbos before. And I built a successful draw through set up on my first attempt, in about 3 weeks time (with about 6 days of sick time mixed in).

Last edited by Twisted Minis; 04-27-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-27-2011, 03:32 PM
Fabricator

Looks great, as usual. Why the obsolete draw through instead of a blow through setup? Either way, I'm glad it works for ya. Any vids of this thing runnin?
Old 04-27-2011, 04:51 PM
Master Fabricator

Looks good

turbo on original engine = good times.....

Always gets me motivated when I see your work.

-Jeff
Old 04-27-2011, 06:22 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-rallye View Post
Looks great, as usual. Why the obsolete draw through instead of a blow through setup? Either way, I'm glad it works for ya. Any vids of this thing runnin?
Ya I took a bunch of videos on my phone, but says they are all too big to email to myself. So not sure what to do.

And draw through because it is more simple. You can use basically all stock parts, which keeps the cost down. And its for LeMons, so home made is good, store bought is bad. And because its what I was told to do. I did a lot of research, draw through doesn't seem like that bad of a system. Other than hard starts, and not being able to run an intercooler. This car got me thinking of doing it to my 22R, since it actually worked really well.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:28 PM
Master Fabricator

oops, fixed the picture of the amp. Not sure what happened.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:59 PM
Fabricator

love keeping up on your latest work twisted, keep up the good work!
Old 04-28-2011, 12:49 AM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted Minis View Post
And draw through because it is more simple. You can use basically all stock parts, which keeps the cost down. And its for LeMons, so home made is good, store bought is bad. And because its what I was told to do. I did a lot of research, draw through doesn't seem like that bad of a system. Other than hard starts, and not being able to run an intercooler. This car got me thinking of doing it to my 22R, since it actually worked really well.
Gotcha, that makes sense. I sometimes forget the task at hand and need to take that into consideration. After all, they did run draw through on many vehicles straight off the assembly line. It looks pretty sweet with that hood scoop though, quite the fabricator you are.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:22 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Ya I took a bunch of videos on my phone, but says they are all too big to email to myself. So not sure what to do.

Gotpropane.com has a kit that does a draw through turbo with their propane kit. Supposedly makes some serious power out of it even with just a bit of boost (8psi). I think the 22re powered rigs usually make around 80-90hp to the rear wheels in stock form, and they claim over 200hp with that kit at low boost and even more at middle to high boost.

Those LeMons races look like a ton of fun and I bet that thing does pretty well. Should be a good race car.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:33 AM
Master Fabricator

I like the draw through setup because you aren't tuning "on boost" instead the car just sees more air and flows accordingly. Thats a simplification of course but the pressurized floats and all that stuff for a blow through greatly complicates stuff.

Last edited by CarterKraft; 04-28-2011 at 10:35 AM. Reason: forgot to say nice work, one hell of a first shot.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Fabricator

Where did you get the parts to do the carbon seal conversion? I'm having a hard time finding the correct parts.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:33 PM
Master Fabricator

Ya draw through seemed very simple and straight forward. Was very easy to do, and was cost effective. My friend is now doing it on his 65 Chevy with the eBay turbo I had. And I have an extra SAAB turbo, same as on the Mercedes, I may want to put on my 22R and see what happens.

And I went to G-Pop Shop I believe. I can check my invoices Monday and let you know. Very helpful guys, got me set up with the right parts based on numbers off the turbo.
Old 05-18-2011, 04:22 PM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
I did a lot of research, draw through doesn't seem like that bad of a system. Other than hard starts, and not being able to run an intercooler.
Looks great, 2 questions:
How hard is the starting? Long cranking and/or dying?
Where did you do your research? online? forums?
thanks!
Old 05-18-2011, 11:17 PM
Fabricator

I saw both of these cars this last weekend in Fernley. I was racing the Supra which I have build pics posted. The fabrication looked great.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:44 AM
Master Fabricator

The silver car too? I heard the new mechanic messed a bunch of stuff up. They wanted me to work on it before the race but I didnt have time.

And the starting isnt bad. I dont pump the pedal, just crank. First start takes about 4 turns of the starter. Runs cold for about a minute. After that it starts on the first crank and goes great.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:46 AM
Master Fabricator

Also here is the frame I have been working on. Took it to a car show this weekend.

Old 05-25-2011, 11:29 PM
Master Fabricator

The frame looks awsome! Do you build off a frame bench or floor?Just curious.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:40 AM
Fabricator

No posts since May! TM...what's up dude? You're the only reason I drop by this site on occation any more!
Old 07-27-2011, 02:04 AM
Master Fabricator

Sorry I have not kept this up to date. I have been very busy, pretty much just putting pics on Facebook from my phone. I got engaged, and working on moving and all that too.

Here are some updates on the frame I have been building. And to answer baxter, I built it on a chassis table. You can kind of see the table in the above pictures.

Stuck the motor in, cut the floor out of the cab. Then cut the rockers down about 2 inches, plated them with some formed 12 gauge that wraps into the inner rocker to keep it strong.

Here are the rockers during plating. They turned out really nice and flat, and metal finished out pretty well. Also gave me a chance to hammer out a dent in the rocker that would have been difficult.

So we set the cab on today. Need to trim the firewall a little more to move the cab forward. Just got everything rough cut to set it down. Need to get the bed out to center up the wheel base at ride height.

Old 07-27-2011, 12:13 PM
Master Fabricator

Not a huge fan of the cab selection, but that frame is absolutely sick man! Great job so far.
Old 07-29-2011, 01:13 PM
Master Fabricator

Its not my favorite bodystyle either, but its growing on me. I appreciate the compliments on the frame though!

Loosely laid the bed on to make sure we got the wheelbase right. Its dead center front and rear, very happy.