Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Offroad Fabrication

Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication

Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication

Old 06-24-2014, 03:53 AM
Junior Fabricator

Long travel transmission options

Hello,

I've been looking for a week or so for transmission options for a future long travel build. So far all I seem to see everyone running are the Mendeola transmission. Are there any other options? I'm planning on using a fuel injected Chevrolet V8, probably an LT1. I came across a thread that mentioned a Tech-3, but I was unable to find a website or any other information.

Thanks,
Charles
Old 06-24-2014, 02:18 PM
Master Fabricator

Transmission or Transaxle?

Guessing the latter: http://www.fortinracing.com/transaxles.html

Now you have the tow main sources in the states.
No mater who you choose when you have the basic design spec'd out you should be calling your top choice(s) to see how much and how long you are looking at...

E

Old 06-25-2014, 01:46 AM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
Transmission or Transaxle?

Guessing the latter: http://www.fortinracing.com/transaxles.html

Now you have the tow main sources in the states.
No mater who you choose when you have the basic design spec'd out you should be calling your top choice(s) to see how much and how long you are looking at...

E
Thank you very much,

Wow! Looks like I'll be selling some toys just to purchase the TRANSAXLE, haha. This build will take me a few years hopefully I can find a deal in the classifieds. I was hoping I could find a vehicle that I could pull a transaxle from, like a Porsche, that would work. I'm getting solidworks this week and I'm going to start playing around with the software. Looking forward to getting this project going.

Thanks again,
Charles
Old 06-25-2014, 02:40 AM
Junior Fabricator

Mendiola and Weddle build some nice transaxles.
Old 06-25-2014, 07:42 AM
Master Fabricator

Mendeolas need rebuilds more often than most realize. Some call them spendeola's for a reason.

Fortrins are nice and nice and $$ as you have seen.

Depending on what you are trying to do/build have you seen the Detroit "Sand Rockets"?

They use a common turbo 350 tranny or similiar and an irs rear end. The motor is nearer the front.

If you gotta have rear (or actually mid) engine and are OK with two speeds they make kits to use a old Chevy Powerglide and there are kits to hook it to Corvette rearends and Strange rear end axles and others.

These are much more durable than Mendeolas in many cases and auto shifting. If you gotta have three speeds a 4x4 tranny 350 turbo can be hooked to may to but its longer and heavier than the powerglide.
Old 06-25-2014, 05:33 PM
Junior Fabricator

A Mendeola HD4 is not a week transaxle. Now if your talking about the 4e model that's uses VW parts, I would agree that it is a weak transaxle.
It all depends on the horsepower your going to run through it and the way you are driving it. A power glide Trans is much stronger, but also longer. I'm running a Mendeola 2d behind a shortstar v6 for the last 4 years and it's holding up just fine. I have 260hp to the crank.
Old 06-26-2014, 03:48 AM
Master Fabricator

Some info I found about transaxles. http://www.donsbusbox.com/about/faqs/

One engine you might want to look at is an Ecotec 4 cyl. They are used in shortcourse super buggies and desert class ten, so there is a decent amount of aftermarket parts for this application. Good hp and torque with a broad power band.
Old 06-26-2014, 10:33 AM
Master Fabricator

Any mendeola will need near seasonal rebuilds if ran hard. Yah some are tougher for more weight and HP applications but the list of guys with them that have to have the rebuilt often is a lot longer than the ones not getting it done it seems with anywhere I go.

As long as people do not think of them as bullet proof. They are not the answer to it all like some think.
Old 06-26-2014, 11:34 AM
Master Fabricator

...hey Charles.

Could you flesh-out what you are thinking about building and what it will be used for?
An LS for example could be 200BHP or it could be 1000-BHP; what lives in the dunes will die in the desert or at the Sand Drags....

E

Old 07-02-2014, 06:24 AM
Master Fabricator

Any amount of Porsche gearbox's available relatively cheap over here in Europe,worth looking into and Chev engine adapters are also available...would work out way cheaper than above prices and some models well able for 1000HP
Old 07-02-2014, 12:10 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350 Vortec View Post
Any amount of Porsche gearbox's available relatively cheap over here in Europe,worth looking into and Chev engine adapters are also available...would work out way cheaper than above prices and some models well able for 1000HP
This is where we really need to know the way it will be used.
1000HP can be contained by a gearbox and live in a Porsche; that same gearbox will be nothing other then a grenade when connected to a 37" tyre, or actually driven in an off road application...

Old 07-02-2014, 01:12 PM
Master Fabricator

Still rather one rated for 1000 than 300 and certainly rather a modern box over some VW Beetle rehash...Porsche,Getrag boxes have been used in high HP applications over here for decades(Ultima used/uses a standard porsche box+Chev power for 0-100-0 world record ) and lots of 6sp manuals knocking about so may be a good option here ..its Torque that really kills gearboxes anyway..as you say lets hear more about the project chickenwings??
Old 07-07-2014, 04:53 AM
Junior Fabricator

Thanks for the replies everyone.

For right now the plan is to try and get 400 naturally aspirated horsepower. I don't think that's going to be too difficult coming from a fuel injected sbc. (That hurts to amsay as I am a die-hard Ford fan) haha. I plan on going with at least 4 seats and possibly 5, 2 in front 3 in the back. The chassis I'm looking at is the V3 long travel. I found some plans for it online and I would like to give it a shot. This will be a long project because I will be doing as much as possible on my own. I would only be using this at silver lake in the dunes, never any desert rides. I read somewhere that the V3 has an issue with front wheel travel but I wasn't quite sure what the thread was saying, I wasn't familiar with some of the suspension terminology being used. Thanks again for the help/advice everyone. I look forward to getting this thing off the ground.

Charles

Last edited by chickenwings_85; 07-07-2014 at 04:56 AM.