Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Offroad Fabrication

Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication

Offroad Fabrication Offroad Fabrication

Old 07-04-2014, 01:24 PM
Junior Fabricator

How to get into offroad fabrication?

I've always been in the offroad scene and I love building things with metal... What's the best way to get a job in offroad fabrication .. thanks
Old 07-04-2014, 01:54 PM
Master Fabricator

Red face

Prove to a potential employer you can be a asset to his business.

Learn to do as many different things as you can .

Think is this really what you want to do??

Most people that do the grunt work seldom venture off the hard surface roads.

Because they build or modify vehicles 40 plus hours a week last thing they want to do on there own time is do anything close.

Very much different if your the owner. Then you have to show your face.

then to do the welding
Old 07-26-2014, 04:42 AM
Master Fabricator

Do it day in and day out for a month, no less than 10 hours a day. The. See if that's really still appealing. Personally, out of high school I wanted to do it. Now I take on side jobs that interest me and I can actually MAKE money doing it. Still in the welding and fab field but not off-road stuff.
Old 07-28-2014, 12:48 PM
Master Fabricator

If you love fabrication it shouldn't matter what field its in. Be very careful that just because you enjoy off roading that you dont think the joy of fabricating on off road vehicles is going to be something special. It will most likely turn into a Job sooner or later... What most people dont think about is that the fabrication skills is just one part of the job. How can you interact with co workers and customers? Can you design? Do you have the vision to build things safe as well as being functional and pleasing to the eye all at the same time? Are you willing to earn the next position or do you expect it to be given to you? These are all parts of being a fabricator its not just fabrication. Some guys can weld and thats it... as long as they know that is all they can or want to do that is great. Figure out early what you want to do.

I started out that way building Hot Rods and Off road vehicles now I really don't want to have anything to do with Off Roading in my spare time and I haven't been to a car show or even driven any of my rods for years as I hate talking about them when I'm away from the shop. Heck I dont even slow down for one of those Bull Shit Hot rod shows when surfing the channels anymore. I Love fabrication but the stuff I build is just like anything else to me now and nothing unique. I bought a boat to get away from this stuff and I refuse to work on any boats as I don't want to ruin that hobby as well. LOL

In my experience the best way to get in is to learn, learn, learn, be sure to get the basics out of the way first, welding, cutting, grinding. Once you have some basic skills see if you can get on with a local fab shop, sheetmetal shop, water jet co. or anything related and doing what ever. Once they see what you can do and they see you have value to them they will work you into a position that will make them money. Once your on board start honing your computer skills and take classes or work extra time to learn machine operation for tube benders, shears, brakes, mills and lathes etc.. Just remember your experience doesn't need to come from the industry you like to play in. Good luck and enjoy each day that you can and be safe! Burns, cuts and metal splinters are a common place as you probably know by now. Enjoy and good luck!

Last edited by METAL TWISTER; 07-31-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:32 AM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by METAL TWISTER View Post
If you love fabrication it shouldn't matter what field its in. Be very careful that just because you enjoy off roading that you dont think the joy of fabricating on off road vehicles is going to be something special. It will most likely turn into a Job sooner or later... What most people dont think about is that the fabrication skills is just one part of the job. How can you interact with co workers and customers? Can you design? Do you have the vision to build things safe as well as being functional and pleasing to the eye all at the same time? Are you willing to earn the next position or do you expect it to be given to you? These are all parts of being a fabricator its not just fabrication. Some guys can weld and thats it... as long as they know that is all they can or want to do that is great. Figure out early what you want to do.

I started out that way building Hot Rods and Off road vehicles now I really don't want to have anything to do with Off Roading in my spare time and I haven't been to a car show or even driven any of my rods for years as I hate talking about them when I'm away from the shop. Heck I dont even slow down for one of those Bull Shit Hot rod shows when surfing the channels anymore. I Love fabrication but the stuff I build is just like anything else to me now and nothing unique. I bought a boat to get away from this stuff and I refuse to work on any boats as I don't want to ruin that hobby as well. LOL

In my experience the best way to get in is to learn, learn, learn, be sure to get the basics out of the way first, welding, cutting, grinding. Once you have some basic skills see if you can get on with a local fab shop, sheetmetal shop, water jet co. or anything related and doing what ever. Once they see what you can do and they see you have value to them they will work you into a position that will make them money. Once your on board start honing your computer skills and take classes or work extra time to learn machine operation for tube benders, shears, brakes, mills and lathes etc.. Just remember your experience doesn't need to come from the industry you like to play in. Good luck and enjoy each day that you can and be safe! Burns, cuts are metal splinters common place as you probably know by now. Enjoy
Very Well said