Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Old 06-02-2017, 11:21 AM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicedz4 View Post
In this week's installment of unnecessary projects that probably no one will ever notice
Oh I'm sure a few will notice! If they don't notice the individual details, they will certainly notice how clean the whole package is. Cool stuff.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:50 PM
Master Fabricator

Master cylinder lines showed friday. Also got rev 2 or 3 of the firewall bulkhead cnc cut by a guy I work with, turned out pretty nice this time.

Still need to make the plugs for the unused master cyl ports. I have the pieces, just needs a little welding. But other than the soft lines to the calipers, the brake system is done.

Dan
Old 06-05-2017, 09:11 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicedz4 View Post

Going to check flatness of the new flange area on the mill quick, and then bead blast it so itll be ready for paint when the time comes.

Dan
Flipping the *^%$& starter!!!! I love this crap!
Old 06-05-2017, 10:03 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterKraft View Post
Flipping the *^%$& starter!!!! I love this crap!
haha. Thanks!
Old 06-08-2017, 10:52 PM
Master Fabricator

This whole build in insanely badass... all the little details and clean fab are top notch!
Old 06-16-2017, 09:58 AM
Master Fabricator

Thanks Rokcrler.

Couldnt find metric bubble flare plugs for the unused master ports so I made my own. I see lots of people use the right thread but with copper washers, well I didnt want to.

Took some adapters, cut them down, drilled and tapped the hole for 8-32, threaded in a section of a screw and welded it in place. Should be good.

Up next was the intake manifold and fuel rail. I originally made this 6 years ago and for some reason it was very close to the radiator, closer than today me liked. I also hated the fuel rail mounting tabs. So I went to the town.

Flange cut off.

Decided it was a good time to remove all the OE casting lines. Before...

With that done (no pics) I cut the runners down about 3/8", reshaped them to mate to the OE flange and ground the ends to a nice V.

Next, made up some new fuel rail brackets and welded them on. These were a total bitch to weld, way more than the runners to the flange which were cake.

Spent a few mins smoothing out the welds (I plan on doing the runner to flange ones too, but Im waiting on my new Dynafile) I had just enough belt left to do these.

And here it is all reassembled. I also smoothed out the welds on the rail for the FPR cup and the input fitting.

And an inside shot.

Next and hopefully last item is to redo the TB flange. I was originally going to use a stock mustang TB but have since decided its just too damn ugly and Id rather use GM IAC. I picked up an Aurora TB that should do the trick. More to come on that.

And finally, exhaust parts started rolling in. I also ordered a midpipe from Techtonics which is due tues. It was only like $25 more than buying the bends to make my own. It just better be 304ss like they told me on the phone, else Im not going to be happy.

Dan
Old 06-21-2017, 10:52 AM
Master Fabricator

Needed a flange for the new TB since I decided against using the mustang one.

I probably could have had the guy at work cut one on his cnc but I always wanted to try using the router table and a wood bit to cut aluminum. So I scored a piece of 3/8" aluminum, scored out a pattern, roughed it in with the band saw and then free hand cut it on the router table.

Here is is roughed in without any edge sanding. Not bad for free handing it without a template. I was surprised just how easy it cut even with a cheapo craftsman wood bit.

And with the hole cut (again free hand trimmed on the router table - after boring a hole with a hole saw), and the edges sanded a little. They still need work, but not bad for a few mins work.

Holes drilled and some bolts in place for a test fit. The final plan is to add some threaded inserts to the flange and bolt it in from the front side. Ill be edge welding this flange to the current flange (and welding the current holes shut) so that you cant see the backside of the mounitng hardware.

I think its going to be a good fit and looks pretty nice to boot.

In other news I picked up this guy. Its obviously WAY nicer than my $80 china special. It was a hard pill to swallow but it should be a huge time saver going forward. Plus I was out of 18" belts , haha.

Up next got a small start on the exhaust. I bought a premade 304ss midpipe from Techtonics for $300 to the door. With the price of bends it was a no brainer. Luckily it fits perfect. I did have to make one cut at the end of the straight section to get it over the subframe (see the hose clamp in the pic below). Ultimately there wil be a vband there and at the inlet of the resonator.

I was worried the muffler wouldnt just fit and would hit the axle bracing but it JUUUST clears even at full suspsion compression (which will never happen)

Dan
Old 06-22-2017, 01:53 PM

It's amazing what can be created with just a bandsaw and/or a router. Nice job!
Old 06-23-2017, 09:32 AM
Master Fabricator

Thanks! It really did cut great. I think you could make some pretty awesome parts by making a template from mdf or something first then using a flush trim bit to copy it onto aluminum.

Went back to the intake mani last night.

First I drilled and tapped the holes in the TB flange for ss threaded inserts.

Welded up the two mounting holes in the original flange. Then welded the new flange to the original around the entire edge and inside the TB hole. Finally filed and sanded the edge to a nice flat finish. I still need to port the inside to the TB, but I ran out of steam at 2am.

Typically I dont like to grind welds, but I felt like the ones at the runner to oem flange were out of place. So I went to town with the new Dynafile and smoothed them out. That thing was worth all the pennies, its so good. I managed to smooth them all out in just under an hour. The "floating belt" contact arm does such a great job of smoothing things out without leaving flat spots like an arm with a flat platen would.

Dan
Old 06-26-2017, 10:11 AM
Master Fabricator

Faced the TB flange on the intake. It was pretty damn flat even after welding. I used my high tech sandpaperstucktothebench method, which worked great. This is only 180 grit so Ill prob go up a grit or two.

I hated how loose the V band rings are on the tubing so I ordered a Lisle exhaust tubing expander setup to fix the issue.

Before. Huge gap, tube slips all the way in the ring / doesnt contact the nice step in the rings at all:

After. Much better

I spent a little time yesterday swedging all of the ends that needed it so I should be ready to start tacking the exhaust together tomorrow night. Im waiting on a new gas lens and torch etc before I can get started on that.

Picked up the two valve covers Im going to be modding from being baked and blasted.

And the crank trigger mount showed from USRT

Dan
Old Yesterday, 08:26 AM
Master Fabricator

Machined the valve cover to accept 2.0T coils. The holes needed to be expanded a little for them fit. I picked up a cheap 1-1/16" annular cutter off ebay to bore the holes down 3/4". Then used a 1/8" endmill to cut some notches for the indexing tabs on the coils. I did need to remove the rubber seals on the coils and trim the small ribs off of the plastic but they more or less snap right in. I still need to double check the final height with it installed but I think its close to them fully seating on the plugs.

Like a glove

Tonight its back to the exhaust

Dan
Old Today, 09:22 AM
Master Fabricator

Got some new tig goodies yesterday. Most notably the new torch and Monster 14 gas lens setup. The CK red super flexible lead is super light and well flexible. 3/4" minimum tungsten stick out on the Monster 14 lens seems so crazy. Ive never used even a traditional gas lens before so this should be interesting.

Got everything setup and managed to get the catback all tacked together.

Drilled a few holes in a hose clamp to tack the resonator to the midpipe.

And yes it looks just like before but its completely tacked up.

I started working on some hangers for the front side of the muffler (no pics as it was 2am). What I cant decide is how to make the hanger for the back of the muffler. Its going to be pretty visible so Id like it to look nice. Just struggling with what that might be. Grabbed a couple pics this am for reference. Open to ideas.

Dan
Old Today, 11:12 AM

I really like how Jaysin (RIP) did his:

Old Today, 12:26 PM
Master Fabricator

Funny you mention this. I just ordered the bushings to make my own just like that.

Going to mount it to the top center of the muffler maybe, mount it to a bracket welded to the trunk floor. Ill just cut the OEM one on the left off. Should look way nicer centered and without that ugly black rubber ring.

Dan
Old Today, 03:52 PM

Very cool. Look forward to seeing your version.