Go Back OFN Forums > General Discussion > Introductions/Connections

Introductions/Connections Introduce yourself, your rig, your skillz....Get Connected with someone

Introductions/Connections Introduce yourself, your rig, your skillz....Get Connected with someone

Old 01-07-2018, 02:53 AM
Junior Fabricator

Question New here and in search of advice

Hi my name is Jaron. I'm looking to build a buggy. I want a buggy that is obviously fast... But two seater. It also needs to be trail worthy there's not alot of sand here in southern VA. I have access to a full mechanic shop and welders etc. I also have a friend with a laser cnc machine so I'm not to worried about the Fab work as much as I am time, cost, & functionality of the build.

Thanks in advance
Old 01-07-2018, 06:58 PM
Master Fabricator

I'd say look hard at the U4 type of buggy.

Old 01-07-2018, 07:16 PM
Junior Fabricator

first off cheap,fast,reliable you only get to choose 2

It depends on what your definition on fast and trail wheeling is. I would honestly look at the likes of a goat built chassis or similar. this is a great start with all suspension design completed and layout if using the recommended parts can help save alot of head scratching trying to plan 10 steps ahead on everything.

keep the cost down with the parts you put into it. depending on the wheeling and tyres you run you could get away with toyota stuff. it will be cheap to start with but with everything the faster you want to go the more it will cost you.

also pick a budget and double it. I know everyone says it but the little stuff you dont think about until you need it chews through the budget fast little things like all the nuts an bolts.

Or if your budget is super small start with a running wheeler and turn it into a firewall buggy.
Old 01-09-2018, 07:29 PM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Crawl View Post
first off cheap,fast,reliable you only get to choose 2

It depends on what your definition on fast and trail wheeling is. I would honestly look at the likes of a goat built chassis or similar. this is a great start with all suspension design completed and layout if using the recommended parts can help save alot of head scratching trying to plan 10 steps ahead on everything.

keep the cost down with the parts you put into it. depending on the wheeling and tyres you run you could get away with toyota stuff. it will be cheap to start with but with everything the faster you want to go the more it will cost you.

also pick a budget and double it. I know everyone says it but the little stuff you dont think about until you need it chews through the budget fast little things like all the nuts an bolts.

Or if your budget is super small start with a running wheeler and turn it into a firewall buggy.

Thanks for the advice as for my definition of fast I I'd consider 100-120mph fast enough. As for trail wheeling I'm talking almost flat trails through the woods. I would also be riding at ATV parks.

I was looking mostly at motorcycle powered mini buggy's (so pretty much home-made long travel side x sides).
Old 01-09-2018, 07:32 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Sounds like a rally car kind of build or some kind of low slung 2WD buggy if you are going 100-120 on flat trails through the woods. Most of the side by sides would be too narrow and short for doing those kinds of speeds, but maybe you could start with one and build a mini buggy with a suitable wheelbase and track width.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:00 PM
Junior Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
Sounds like a rally car kind of build or some kind of low slung 2WD buggy if you are going 100-120 on flat trails through the woods. Most of the side by sides would be too narrow and short for doing those kinds of speeds, but maybe you could start with one and build a mini buggy with a suitable wheelbase and track width.
Pretty much.

I had considered a side by side as a base but for the amount of work and money to make it fast and stable enough (not to mention how much they cost to start with) I might as well start from scratch. Besides I'd rather drive around something no one else has...
Old 01-10-2018, 12:06 PM
Master Fabricator

Opinion: Mine

Anything over 50-MPH on anything close to "rough" terrain...

Minimum Track Width 70-Inches.
Minimum Wheel Base 110-Inches.

Track Width to counter Yaw, allowing space to get suspension arms long enough to have a reasonable amount of Wheel Travel
Wheel Base to counter pitch.

Watched way to many SxS trying to "go fast" and then 'tumbling' due to the inherent design shortcomings!

At 120-MPH:
"I" would build at 80 or so Track Width and 120-135" Wheel Base.
Slow to no speed "Trail" running, then maybe a typical SxS size, could work but only in the 4WD flavor.

E