Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Old 10-12-2017, 12:23 AM
Master Fabricator

Pfft some boost should straighten the air flow out.

Where the down pipe is closer to the fuel lines do you have any plans for that in the way of insulation? I used Al foil tape on the lines on my dad's suburban cause I was stressing about it a little, no idea if it helped or even mattered.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:41 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterKraft View Post
Pfft some boost should straighten the air flow out.

Where the down pipe is closer to the fuel lines do you have any plans for that in the way of insulation? I used Al foil tape on the lines on my dad's suburban cause I was stressing about it a little, no idea if it helped or even mattered.
Im planning on a ss heat shield, topped with some gold foil probably. They really arent THAT close, but I definitely still want something.

I have a plan for the ss piece, TBD if it works or not. So stay tuned I guess. hah

Dan
Old 10-12-2017, 10:15 AM
Master Fabricator

Got some bonus garage time yesterday. Managed to get the charge pipe tacked up. I havent welded the elbow to the compressor yet, Im going to wait to do that once everything is together for realz.

Dan
Old 10-17-2017, 04:11 PM
Master Fabricator

Late last week I finally addressed the issues with the shifter relay bracket that mounts to the rack. Just like other people my Meyle rack wasnt made exactly right so the bracket was clocked wrong. Since the rack is already refinished I decided to modify the bracket. Adding a couple small pieces of 3/16" steel to the two mounting locations took care of the issue.

With that now fixed, it shifted the relay lever upwards and into the header. I figured this might be an issue, but I didnt want the header design to be constrained by the shifter figuring I could fix it easy enough.

Before

Sectioned

Bent the two pieces to match, welded a plate of 1/8" over the joint and smoothed it all out.

After :thumbup:

Dan
Old 10-23-2017, 10:42 AM
Master Fabricator

Had some free time sat am so I finished up the intercooler. I needed a filler but I hate inline fillers, plus I wanted it at the highest point so I added a neck right to the one end tank. A little section of aluminum tube, a 32mm neck, and Vibrant radiator cap did the trick. Also welded a -12 fitting for the inlet. Certainly not my best welding but the cast IC end tanks are certainly not the cleanest. It should look fine in wrinkle black powder.

With that done last night I made the mount for the IC pump. I started off with a $10 clamp which I cut up and welded to some 1/4" aluminum angle. Then welded a little box to the frame rail to mount it to.

Mount cut up (basically removed the mounting tabs) welded to some 1/4" angle and smoothed out.

Frame rail box made from 2" square tube with the end capped.

The assembly

Mount welded to frame rail and primed.

The whole smash mounted up.

Dan
Old 11-08-2017, 11:30 AM
Master Fabricator

Back to work on this after an unplanned timing and water pump job on the Allroad.

Last night tackled the heater core return line. Its made from a stainless tube assy I bought off ebay. The one 45 I made as a two joint pie cut and then welded and smoothed to look like a 45. The only thing missing is a -6 fitting for the turbo water return but im currently out of stock.

Tacked up

Welded and smoothed. Again, just loving the Dynabrade. It makes short work of smoothing the welded joints

The smoothed out pie cut joint

Dan
Old 11-08-2017, 12:37 PM
Master Fabricator

Looks good!