Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Fabrication 101

Fabrication 101 Everyone has to start somewhere and for some, theOFN might be that somewhere.

Fabrication 101 Everyone has to start somewhere and for some, theOFN might be that somewhere.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:45 AM
Fabricator

Vertical vs horizontal benders?

I researched like a mofo and really beat myself up over it but ended up going with a vertical. Had it between a JD2 model 32 or Pro-Bender model Pro-32 (still uses JD2 dies). Well got it all together and started calibrating the die to my Bend-Tech Pro software. Took a full stick (1 3/4 .120 DOM) and I really had a tough time with repeatability. First the numbers the software was giving me was not coming out right but was close.....found out I was not tightening the bolt tight enough to hold the tubing. Next problem was angle repeatability......using the HF digital angle finder I would be a -1 deg off. Make my correction and bend another degree and would come back +1 and just went back and forth. So after chewing up a full stick I decided to just start my frame rails. Ran into another problem with the vertical....not enough clearance on long pieces as shown in the pic and I could not figure out a good way to make sure the tubing stayed in line. I could not put a level on my 45* bend and make sure it was plumb before making the next bend. I ended up eye balling it and that is not accurate enough for me. I feel with a horizontal I will be able to use a 4' level to keep my bends straight. So I ordered a JD2 model 32 and will be selling my Pro-32. Anyone have any suggestions and am I on the right track?
Thanks, Shane
Great, I can't post attachments....no pic

Last edited by 77bronco; 02-04-2015 at 06:49 AM.
Old 02-04-2015, 11:31 AM
Master Fabricator

Without being a member you need to host your pix and then link them.

Old 02-04-2015, 06:50 PM
Master Fabricator

I've got two benders, one set up vertical, one horizontal. I prefer the vertical. IMHO it's easier to keep the tubing vertical than to support it as it swings around during bending. The vertical bender also takes up less space during bending, but you do need some ceiling height. Without pics it's hard to understand the problem you are having. My plan with my horizontal bender is to make it switchable from horizontal to vertical.
Old 02-05-2015, 08:19 AM
Fabricator

Is this Deaner form SLSD forum?
Old 02-05-2015, 09:50 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77bronco View Post
Is this Deaner form SLSD forum?
Uh Oh! you caught me.

Where are you located?
Old 02-05-2015, 10:15 AM
Fabricator

Blissfield, MI. I frequent the sand forum and go to dunes as much as I can which is never enough! Trying to build a new dune toy. Here is a link with pic. Sorry, no photobucket account and can't access at work.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/newbi...32-issues.html

Last edited by 77bronco; 02-05-2015 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-05-2015, 12:47 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Whether you choose to bend vertically or horizontally, what you need to keep the plane of bend consistent is a plane of bend (POB) bracket with angle finder. You can use a level, but that only works if your bender is also level and it's not nearly as accurate as an angle finder. Plus a level wont help you with multi-plane parts where you may need to make some bends out of plan.

Here is where you can get a great POB bracket from an awesome forum member: http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/...ead.php?t=4606

Here is an example of a POB bracket and angle finder in use:

The basic idea is if you want all bends to be in the same plane, make sure the angle on the angle finder is the same between feeding the tube. If you want them rotated, for example 90 degrees 180 degrees or some arbitrary angle, you just rotate the tube to the desired plane angle before making your next bend.

Here's an example of doing out of plane bends:

Here is a dated, but still useful thread on how to build something using Bend Tech Pro. The thread shows how you can incorporate accurate multi-plane bends using a POB bracket to create a 3D tube design.
http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/...read.php?t=666

Don't limit your challenges. Challenge your limits.

Last edited by TheBandit; 02-05-2015 at 12:50 PM.
Old 02-05-2015, 02:48 PM
Junior Fabricator

I have read the hf angle finder is less than ideal.
definitely will hurt your repeatability.

afa too long a tube, reverse the bend order w/ BT
Old 02-05-2015, 09:11 PM
Master Fabricator

What is the new toy you are building? I would definitely recommend a digital angle finder, well worth the $40 or so. Many ways to do the POB, but the one TheBandet pointed out looks great. I have a small one that fits on a muffler clamp (not real convenient).
Old 02-05-2015, 11:51 PM
Fabricator

Bandit, thanks for the info. Will be ordering one tonight. Deaner, I am building a 115"wb tube chassis skinned early Bronco. I have a new Aluminator Coyote built for boost and going to put twin presicion 6266's on it. Bought "The Green Jeep's" billet transfer case going behind a glide. Have 14" Kings, still looking for axles. Want a Ruffstuff fab 9" in the rear and looking for a HP44 front if you know where I can find one? Skins should be here in a week so I really need to get going on chassis. Long way to go but not in a huge hurry. I am going to try and copy Maui Matt's 2nd Bronco but with a solid front axle. Kind of shooting off the hip as I don't have anything to go by but pics but I think it should turn out great. I plan on using 1 3/4" .120 for frame rails and 1 5/8" moly for the rest of cage. My offset on the frame rails are 14" so I hope that will give the axles clearance when they go to bump and still keep a lower ride height. Want to stay low and controlled! Any suggestions are encouraged!
Old 02-06-2015, 06:41 PM
Expedition Vehicles Aust.

I use a Model 4 horizontal. I sold my vertical as I almost lost fingers! When the tube swings down there are a lot of pinch points, a lot of momentum and it was just plain dangerous. I had the http://speedwerx.com.au/collections/...ender-packages vertical. Vertical benders and roll hoops are not good - it is too hard to hold tube 12' in the air.

I then went to a JD2 Model 3 and it was great - just too small / physical with 4130. being able to reset the zero mark is great - as long as you remember to do it.

The JD2 Model 4 I bought for the same price as the 3 (AUD VS USD at the time), and it is great. It is a lot harder to use than the 3/32 and I don't enjoy it as much. The big base gets in the way. I mounted mine on 2 fixed castors and 2 swivel castors so it can rotate during bending. That way the tube doesn't swing around the shop into the most precious thing in the shop. It is great but I hardly ever use it now. I use CNC bending as it saves a butt load of time. Draw / email and 10 units arrive complete. For one off it can be dear (expensive) though. We do production work here so my needs are a little different. Cheers,

Justin
Old 02-06-2015, 09:25 PM
Fabricator

Thanks for the replies! My bender will be here Monday and am looking forward to setting it up. I ordered the Swag hydraulic kit which uses the HF cylinder. This is the same as what my vertical which is a little slow but I like the control. I will post back results when I get some tube bent
Old 02-08-2015, 12:32 AM
Master Fabricator

Wow! That's quite a project. If I was a little closer I'd stop over and check it out. You need to start a build thread here. Don't sell your vertical bender right away, you might find you like it better than the horizontal. You could also put a different die in each one, save switching dies.
Old 02-08-2015, 08:37 PM
Fabricator

Hey I had thought on supporting long tubes on the horizontal bender. Thought about adding swivel casters to a "V" pipe support stand so it will just roll across the floor while bending the pipe? How do you do it?
Old 02-09-2015, 08:32 PM
Expedition Vehicles Aust.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77bronco View Post
Hey I had thought on supporting long tubes on the horizontal bender. Thought about adding swivel casters to a "V" pipe support stand so it will just roll across the floor while bending the pipe? How do you do it?
As above, I let the bender rotate and the tube stays on the rest without too much hassle.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:03 PM
Fabricator

Bru..that makes to much sense! I was going to mount mine on a wheeled base anyway. Is a lot better that having those long tubes swinging around.
Old 02-10-2015, 12:43 AM
Master Fabricator

That's good if you are bending one end of the tube. If you are bending a long tube in the middle, one end is going to swing around. How about support from above? Like a mini swinging jib crane?
Old 02-10-2015, 12:51 AM
Fabricator

How much does it throw the plane off from the hanging weight with a horizontal? Received my POB bracket today and taking Friday off so I can get my frame rails bent and hopefully tacked up! Guess this would be a good time to start that build thread!
Old 07-09-2015, 09:08 PM
Junior Fabricator

My vote is for both vertical and horizontal. Here's my home built bender mounted on an engine stand.
Vertical.

Horizontal.

V
Old 07-12-2015, 10:31 PM
Master Fabricator

Nice!