Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > General Fabrication

General Fabrication Any Fab that does not fit into another Forum

General Fabrication Any Fab that does not fit into another Forum

Old 10-01-2016, 01:47 AM
Fabricator

Metal Spinning

Had a repeat client (whom we like to keep happy) ask us to make something that is not typical of our shop... We make signs and artwork and stuff like that.
This place a Brazilian Steakhouse wanted better drip pans for their Gaucho chef's to use they have the meat on a sword that is tip down in a "Pan"
The Pans had a divot in the middle, so the point of the sword doesn't skate around... Initially they wanted a plastic paddle what they have is made from HDPE and works kinda, not deep enough and the metal disk they put in the middle of the plastic pan is too big and it slides around... too shallow the drippings leak out... Well after being asked about a dozen times to make them something well our name is "KC METAL WORX" we work in metal, and after thinking about it I remembered a company I had seen mentioned on another forum... United Metal Spinning, I called them up and spoke to Larry the owner, they are the oldest metal spinning company in the US, in continuous biz since 1927, in Kansas City (Here) anyway they told me they could do my job for a sum that still allowed me some profit after I do my part to it, so I did up a drawing in CAD and FUSION, to send over and received a quote, commissioned them to make me a sample piece to show my client, who was duly impressed... he LOVED it. so a 6" pan 1.5" deep... I will have them spin 100 pans then I get to weld a handle on them and a "Loop" in the center of the pan to hold their sword...

I didn't get any pics of the item after welding and "Finishing" but here is the raw pan, SPUN from 3/16 Alu Plate.
Old 10-13-2016, 10:38 AM
Engineer, and Shop Monkey

Spinning is a very cool process. It is how most commercial cookware is made.

That 3/16" should last a very long time.

Carl
Old 10-13-2016, 11:13 AM
Master Fabricator

I'm not sure how I missed this the first time around, but that is really cool! I've read a little about metal spinning but I haven't been brave enough to try it yet. I have a tank bottom that I make sometimes (and have a stout hammerform that I think would work as a form for spinning) that would really lend itself to spinning if a guy knew how.

Were they happy enough to give you some free meals as part of the deal? Last time I was at a Brazilian steakhouse, I almost couldn't walk out of the place I was so full!
Old 10-13-2016, 11:48 AM
Fabricator

I would imagine they will give us some gift cards of something, they have been kind enough to desire it larger, and 100 Qty so I get the spinner rolling on that then they drop the qty to 50... and back to the 6" pan... sometimes I wonder about my sanity...
I did take a video of the process when I was there, with the 3/16 aluminum they use a STEEL form instead of a wood one, and they have a live center with a rubber pad on it that holds the disk, they bought a plasma table rather recently and don't know how to run it well so I get to go over there and help them get it running better one of these days. as sort of thanks for helping me out with this job. After I get these back I get to take them to the welding shop and sit down and TIG TIG TIG after I cut the handles and pads for the center... but as luck would have it, it is only 100 welds now instead of 200.... LOL! But we will be making a rather large outdoor lighted sign for this place due to taking this job... funny they can't BUY anything already made that would work. it just isn't made, many of them (we have a couple others in town) use just a metal bowl and the tip of the spit slides around in it and it just doesn't work well... These guys have the right idea but the execution is odd... Oh Well such is life!!! I gotta go back to putting out some of these fires!
Old 10-16-2016, 06:22 PM

Hey on that handle. I would look at getting a rubber sleve that is used on commercial pots. If there is a restaurant supply near you that should have replacements in stock. The handle just needs to be the right size and tapered. But it would work well. Also if you drill a hole or slot the end they can hang them after they are washed.

If they are willing you can get a typical pot from them and copy the size of the handle. 3/16" materiel should be fine, and you can cut the taper on a plasma or lazer table if you were going to use that.

Carl
Old 10-16-2016, 11:48 PM
Fabricator

Client wants a flat handle with a sort of a knob on the end, still FLAT so that it can't TWIST in the hand, but wider at the end so it won't slip through the hand... that is what they want... I would have used something else but nope... I run a Plasma Table all day... I can handle that part easy enough! What they CURRENTLY use is made from HDPE or UMHW poly... 3/4" thick routed 3/8" Deep then re-routed to 1/2 inch deep, with a disk of Stainless Steel imbedded in the center...
Old 10-18-2016, 02:59 PM

What I was meaning was that you should borrow one of there sauce pots and pattern the handle you make after what is commercially used. They usually sell these silicone handle insulators that go over them to cut down on burns. If you pattern yours after what is out there it makes what you have more standard.

Cooks like to reach for things and not think. If the handle is the same size and shape as what they use on a frying pan, they will be more happy. Basically they are a flat piece of metal. But thickness, taper and length matter to hand feel. SO that is something that you should keep in mind.

Most cooks use pretty much standard style cookware as opposed to home cooks. So they can get kind of particular. Something you might want to consider. Also pretty easy to incorporate at this point. These are finer point that designers do not think about but matter to the guys actually using the product.

Carl
Old 10-19-2016, 08:52 AM
Fabricator

Right I understand but they don't WANT that kind of a handle they want FLAT so that it can't ROTATE in the hand...
These are used by basically a SERVER , they are called Gaucho Chefs but they just carry a spit of meat to the table and slice off some on your plate... this is to catch the drippings from the spit...
Old 10-20-2016, 09:19 PM

Right, That is what I was talking about. Here is a picture of the handle style.

And here is a picture of the handle cover that will provide comfort and keep them from burning themselves if they are hot.

If you copied the general size and shape of the handle the cooks would be used to that style of handle. Also they can hang them up after washing. Storage in a kitchen can be limited and options are always appreciated.

You can lazer the form and bend and weld to the spun plate.

Carl