Bump for?

Jaysin
Old 12-30-2015, 12:12 PM
Master Fabricator

What'z the happz, man?

E

Old 03-06-2016, 04:38 AM
Fabricator

So how are you liking the sliders? Ya want to give us a flex shot! haha. Anyway it doesn't seem like many people are running them so your opinion would be great
Old 03-06-2016, 02:02 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronco View Post
So how are you liking the sliders? Ya want to give us a flex shot! haha. Anyway it doesn't seem like many people are running them so your opinion would be great
The sliders work great. They do exactly what I wanted them to, they don't sway sideways like long shackles and they give me good articulation, which means the truck has good road manners (not that it's a sports car) and for the little wheeling it's seen it has done great. So far, about 11,000+ miles, they don't show any wear on the UHMW or the slider boxes. They do have a little clunk when you hit a speed bump or pothole or other sharp bump that unloads one or both front springs completely, as far as I can tell the tiny bit of clearance between slider pucks and guides causes this, but it doesn't seem to cause any issues.

In regards to the new motor, things seem good. I had an oil leak or two but I seem to have them fixed. I did blow a boost hose off at one point and I have to say that when it's fueling hard and the boost goes away it smokes like a freight train. The new motor pulls hard but with the new VNT control I designed it does so without the extreme low end grunt that would blow the tires loose every time you stepped on the throttle in the rain or wet. I will be making a on off switch for the controller to give me a economy and a power mode.

Even driving on the mountainous roads that I do it is knocking down 31.6 MPG, I would guess that if I hit the freeways for a tank I could get 33 maybe even 35 MPG. The mileage has been going up as the engine is breaking in, I have been told that diesels can take up to 25,000 miles before they are truly broken in.

I have yet to completely finish the interior and I still need to build underbed tool boxes as well and a rear and front material racks (think lumber rack). Just been too busy with work and land clearing (after the Butte fire we decided we needed a lot more clearing then we had). And the Expo part hasn't even been started yet. Damn work gets in the way of fun.

When I do get around to building and finishing things I will post up their builds and pictures to continue to add to this thread.

Thanx for the continuing interest,
Jaysin
Old 03-06-2016, 07:42 PM
Fabricator

Hey Jaysin,

I'm glad to see you're back on the road with a new engine. It looks like that '84 Hi Lux 4x4 I sent you the photos of will be mine about the middle of this month. Well, that is, if it passes SMOG testing. It's completely original and runs fine, so I suspect it will pass OK, but until it does I won't make definite plans for it.

How do you like the pulling power of the TDI? Besides the off-road capabilities of the Hi Lux, I'm starting to think I might want it as a tow vehicle for my Locost 7 to trailer it for track testing. The low-powered, stock '84 isn't going to fill that bill, me thinks.

How did the State of California handle your gasoline to diesel conversion? Is there any SMOG testing required for your new diesel engine? The '84 I hope to get has to be taken to a "STAR" center for testing this time, whatever that is.

I still have tons to do on my Locost 7, so I won't be looking at extensive work on the Toyota for a while, but I always like to have a plan in mind, so I will be thinking about it and what I want to do with it.

Happy motoring,

Lonnie
Old 03-14-2016, 12:22 PM
Master Fabricator

As I have stated here in the past, “I hate it when a build thread just ends without explanation.” I do not think however that I have ever seen someone other then the one that started the thread, end it. I have debated for a couple days on just how to do this. This rig was a labor of love for Jaysin and I have decided that it is fitting to do this at the end of this trail.
I will end this thread for my friend Jaysin.

It may be that this project will live on, but sadly the hands that guide it will not be Jaysin’s.

According what I was told by Mrs. S.
On Tuesday of last week, the eighth of March, in the year of the sixteen.
The OFN lost a good man and excellent designer and fabricator and for some of us that were really lucky, a good and true friend: Jaysin went Snowboarding and was found on the slope having suffered an apparent Heart Attack.

I was luckier then most of you, Jaysin and I hit it off right away and I found a gentleman and kindred spirit, willing to talk about anything, bounce concepts around and just a good friend. He rarely called me by my name rather he called me: E, I hope that over the years I earned that and was as great of a help to him as he to me. I can only hope!

Jaysin, my friend, my heart hurts though I know you now are on to bigger constructs: I will, selfishly, miss you forever! And I am sorry that you will never see what those strange parts I had you burn for me end up being. There were several other projects that I was preparing to send you that we talked about, and I had hoped to see this Yota in one of our driveway’s this year; plans change...
Still, though you are gone, a bit of you will always be present in this building and I thank you for your contributions over the years to this place we call home.

You are a true friend!
Peace.
E

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The story in this thread has ended.
Jaysin is on to a new one.
God Speed!

Last edited by entropy; 03-14-2016 at 09:08 PM. Reason: To ask Jasin if he will forgive my conformity... I did not see it till now.
Old 03-14-2016, 01:36 PM
Master Fabricator

Wow, I am almost without words after reading E's post. I haven't had the pleasure of meeting Jaysin in person, but I always enjoyed our exchanges on the public forums and via PM. His threads here, and his shop build thread over on Garage Journal are awesome reads that showcase his skill and creativity.

I guess it shows that we all need to make the best of every day because you never know when the end is coming.

Godspeed, Jaysin.
Old 03-14-2016, 02:17 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

I am nearly at a loss for words. I've been staring at this screen for several minutes trying to catch my wind after what feels like an enormous punch to the stomach, but can only be described as severe heartache. Jaysin is a person I admire and respect beyond words. Sharing his projects and experience has wowed and inspired me to try new things. Most of all he taught by example that when you have an idea, sometimes you just have to go for it. The personal messages he's shared, especially about the recent fires in his community, display his innate sense of compassion. I was humbled by him on my many occasions and appreciate so much the impact he's had on me for my hobbies, my work, and my life.

Jaysin I've said it in my rambling posts before and I will say again - you are my hero. We never met in person, but by pen you became a trusted adviser and friend. You managed to change the way I approach things and I can not thank you enough for what you've done for all of us in this Internet community. To your family, I offer my deepest condolences. I can imagine no deeper pain than the loss of a loved one as exceptional as Jaysin. I hope you are able to read our messages here and know that we are suffering this loss with you. If there is something I personally can do to help your family, please let me know.

Ongoing 70 Nova build: http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/...ead.php?t=8160
Old 03-14-2016, 04:14 PM
Master Fabricator

Very sad to hear.

RIP Jaysin
Old 03-14-2016, 04:26 PM
Fabricator

Wow, I am so saddened and shocked to hear this news. Jaysin and I crossed paths in 3 places: here on Offroad, with the Alibre Design 3D modeling site and also on the LocostUSA site. I really found his build here, documented in this thread, really inspirational. He was a top-notch fabricator and so professional in his approach.

Next week I take delivery of a Toyota Hi Lux one year newer than his. He was generous enough to look over all the photos I sent him of that truck and give me his opinion of it, and discuss a possible path forward for for me based on his build. I was looking forward to interacting with him as I built up the Toyota and even emulating his diesel conversion.

In turn, I was expecting to help him later on when he built a Locost sports car, which is the project I'm completing now. This is just so tragic. Please pass on my condolences and best wishes to his wife and family.

Lonnie Smith
Old 03-14-2016, 06:21 PM
Master Fabricator

Rip.
Old 03-14-2016, 07:13 PM
Fabricator

Wow, This news is saddening and my heart goes to the family and friends.

RIP Jaysin
Old 03-14-2016, 09:59 PM
Master Fabricator

Wow! saddened, speechless, heartbroken, he'll be sadly missed by all. He was on my bucket-list of people from the net to actually me.

RIP JaysinSpaceman
Old 03-14-2016, 10:04 PM
Master Fabricator

Wow! saddened, speechless, heartbroken, he'll be sadly missed by all. He was on my bucket-list of people from the net to actually meet.

RIP JaysinSpaceman

Last edited by deaner; 03-14-2016 at 10:44 PM.
Old 03-14-2016, 10:28 PM
Master Fabricator

youll be missed Jaysin...Godspeed
Old 03-14-2016, 10:33 PM
Fabricator

Although I'm only an occasional poster, Jaysin always took a moment to post something kind in response to my posts. That and the rest of his interactions on the forum told me everything I need to know about a very kind man. The world needs more Jaysins.

My prayers go out to his family and friends. I'm sure he's left a big hole in a lot of hearts.

Rest in peace Jaysin.

Joanne
Old 03-15-2016, 09:50 AM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

I was able to reach Mrs Spaceman and connect on Facebook. Here is some more information on our friend:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJaysinSpaceman
March 8, 2016

Some of you may have heard, some not. I am very sorry if you have not, this is not the way I wanted anyone to hear this news, but we are still busy trying to get people notified and news circulates really fast. Please find a place to sit down before continuing reading.

My husband and soulmate, Jaysin, passed away yesterday afternoon, March 8, 2016.

He was at Kirkwood, doing one of the many things he loved- snowboarding. He was found by a fellow snow enthusiast in the middle of one of the runs, Ski Patrol was notified and CPR was given from the time he was discovered, throughout the ambulance trip, and in the ER in South Lake Tahoe, but they were unable to revive him. There was no apparent trauma. At this time, we do not know what happened.

Jaysin was so loved, by so many people. He was amazing in so many ways; the artist, the warm and tender kind-hearted man, the joker and prankster, the husband, the cousin, the son, the mechanic, the problem solver, the friend. He touched the lives of many; he will be very missed.

Jaysin believed that, as energy cannot be created nor destroyed, but only change form, so too our spirits as energy are not gone when we die, but merely change form. I am sure he would tell us that he is still here with us, watching, whispering, nudging. Please take some time to go outside, to a wide open space, sit down, and quietly be. That is where you will find him. That is where he will again touch your life.

Go for a walk (or do whatever you love outdoors), and think of him. Go hug and kiss your family.

Jaysin and I only had eight short years together, but it was the best time of my life. We were truly happy, and we knew exactly how lucky we were to have found each other. I often told him that I was the luckiest, and that he was the best, and we jokingly bickered that point like school children. He could always make me laugh.

I am struggling with just about everything right now, and I am sure you will understand, but I will likely not be able to reply to comments. Please know that I am reading them and I do appreciate them.

Please know that we will give ample notice of a Celebration of Life party (Jaysin disliked formal services) and we do want to share our love for Jaysin with everyone whose life he touched. If you would like to make a friend request to ensure you receive enough notice, please feel free to do so. I am so comforted by the outpouring of love you all have shown. I love your stories, and I love your photos.

My Love to you all

------

***UPDATE***
March 12, 2016
We have received word from the doctors involved in Jaysin's case. Although the final report won't be done for a couple of months, the preliminary report shows he had a heart attack. Please excuse me if I haven't responded directly to your sweet messages as I have been quite sick. We are starting to work out details for a memorial gathering and will let you know as decisions are made. Thank you for all of your love and support and wonderful stories and pictures of Jaysin's life.
Here are a few photos of the man himself. Godspeed!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg jaysin1 (Custom).jpg (161.7 KB, 1991 views)

Ongoing 70 Nova build: http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/...ead.php?t=8160

Last edited by TheBandit; 03-15-2016 at 09:53 AM.
Old 03-15-2016, 11:03 AM
Master Fabricator

Very very sad news,Rest in peace Jaysin
Old 03-16-2016, 03:49 PM
Master Fabricator

I went to my father in laws funeral over the weekend, then logon here last night to read this.

Whoever said "punch in the stomach" nailed it!

Jason was recently answering all my stupid questions about Skull county through PMs, I felt like I knew the place! He confided in me before starting the Videodrone thread, I thought that was the coolest thing ever! Someone I thought so highly of and had so much respect for wanted my opinion!

RIP Friend!

Link to all of Jason's threads here, incase someone doesn't know how to find them.

http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/...&starteronly=1

Also, I didn't see it here so heres a link to his shop build thread on the Garage journal website. If you haven't seen it, its a great read.

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=21771

Last edited by bullnerd; 03-17-2016 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-20-2016, 09:17 PM
Master Fabricator

I have NOT been on here in a few months. I had a little time today so I got on here to check this thread. I feel like that I have lost a teacher & friend , all in one hit. RIP Dude and thanks for the help .