Go Back OFN Forums > General Discussion > The Lounge

The Lounge Its 5:00 somewhere... This is the area where, after a hard days work, you sit back, relax, and unwind...

The Lounge Its 5:00 somewhere... This is the area where, after a hard days work, you sit back, relax, and unwind...

Old 01-02-2015, 04:38 PM
Master Fabricator

I tried to get my eye around it but it lacks "an" aesthetic.
Speaking strictly for myself for the last several years their entire product line is not deserving of more then a passing glance, but that is only my opinion.

Old 01-03-2015, 12:03 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
I tried to get my eye around it but it lacks "an" aesthetic.
Speaking strictly for myself for the last several years their entire product line is not deserving of more then a passing glance, but that is only my opinion.
An Opinion is only one suggesting to do it better politely .. If the Opinion is not considered polite, the Opinion is considered hostile .. If the Opinion is considered at peace, consider it justified, with a learning twist...

An Opinion can also cause a broken nose...
Old 01-03-2015, 10:35 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogDog View Post
An Opinion is only one suggesting to do it better politely .. If the Opinion is not considered polite, the Opinion is considered hostile .. If the Opinion is considered at peace, consider it justified, with a learning twist...

An Opinion can also cause a broken nose...
FrogDog the Philosopher

The car-maker I suspect don't give a damn about some idiot on the OFN thinks about their cars. I really don't think I want another darn poke in the nose!

Old 01-03-2015, 09:52 PM
Junior Fabricator

that bmw is for dweebs that will never touch the mechanicals, it'll go into the shop to get the screenwash filled, never mind anything bigger
Old 01-06-2015, 04:45 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Ok, this car is a brilliant example of what this thread is about.
This is one of the stupidest cars I have ever seen.
A complete failure of Design and Engineering!

I watched the Video a while ago and I'm still

http://youtu.be/jTNKiTrX0Vk
This is one of the many reasons that I've grown a fiery hatred for automotive engineers. fk those bastards. If it takes 10 mins to show someone how to open the doors and hood, YOUR DOING IT WRONG!!! rant over
Old 01-06-2015, 08:39 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ OFFROADER View Post
...The problem is that the engineers never worked on a car or truck a day in their life.One guy designs one thing,another guy designs that thing and they hope it all works or fits together.
I'm friends with several Mechanical automotive Engineers... I'm a Civil engineer and I am successfully (thus far) building my own resto-mod truck, (Carryall build in Hot-Rod sub-forum) more or less from scratch and I work on Bridges for a living... the guys that are full time automotive engineers have not completed one successful car build, engine build, etc. They are trained from Day 1 to just make it "cool on paper" and then make it "cheap to build". In their defense, there are quite a bit of mfg. restraints based on cost and material usage, but... at the same time its amazing the stuff that they screw up or can't come to terms with function. Most all NEW products are a not worth the material they are made from... I'm going through quite an effort to build my new daily driver versus buying some emissions controlled, cost controlled, mass produced truck that I won't be able to ever work on myself without owning the equipment used to manufacture it! Its a crying shame what the automotive world has turned into... As has been said prior in this thread, we are not the people that vehicles are manufactured for any longer. Take the most badass truck or car out there and we will still have a massive list of complaints compared to the guy who bought it to drive to the golf course on the weekend.
Old 01-09-2015, 12:29 PM
Master Fabricator

Self Driving Cars

Old 01-09-2015, 12:49 PM
Master Fabricator

The deleting of engine and transmission (automatics) dip sticks. Several car makers have decided to call them lifetime sealed transmissions and the computer is supposed to tell you when the oil is low or needs changing. I'm really supposed to trust the oil level in my engine to a sensor that was likely made in China or at least by the lowest bidder.

My full size truck is a 99 and and it has a oil change reminder light that is a pain in the ass to reset if you don't have an OBDII controller. They have a button for everything else why not a simple button for this too. Needless to say the "change oil soon" light has been on for the last 100,000 miles.

Jaysin
Old 01-10-2015, 03:15 PM
Master Fabricator

Having been a factory trained BMW technician, I could probably write a book on this topic. My favorite is BMW decided to quit using keyways on the front of their camshafts and crankshafts. Instead they use stretch bolts to clamp the timing components onto the cam/crank. I asked a BMW engineer why in the world they quit using keyways one day. His response was, "They aren't precise enough for our timing."

My second favorite was the use of Aluminum stretch bolts. That's right they put the engines together with Aluminum bolts. They break from the factory even when no one has touched them. They put the valve cover on with ~25 stretch bolts that are torque angle.

An electric fuel pump should not need it's own control module to drive it pulse width modulated.

We counted the control units in a fully decked out E65 760Li bmw one day. 82 separate computer control units in one car.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:50 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
FrogDog the Philosopher

I really don't think I want another darn poke in the nose!
A 'Poke' you get on face book... 'broken nose' is personal...

I may have to grow a bit 2 give you 1, 2 say the least .... ....

Cheer'z Bro

Old 01-15-2015, 07:33 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrogDog View Post
A 'Poke' you get on face book... 'broken nose' is personal...

I may have to grow a bit 2 give you 1, 2 say the least .... ....

Cheer'z Bro

How bout just a beer or 6 one of these days

Old 01-17-2015, 10:18 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
How bout just a beer or 6 one of these days
.. All my name ducks are in a row now for 2015... mite be sooner than ya think... LOL

Cheer'z Bro.....
Old 03-21-2015, 11:15 AM
Master Fabricator

Three clicks and hold the unlock button and the windows go down?!?!? Know how many times I yelled at my kids for rolling my windows down?
Old 11-15-2015, 04:27 PM
NOT a fabricator

Manufacturers rebadging crap from other manufacturers.
FRS
Scion im
Aveo
Et al

And building excessive amounts of shit box economy cars and NOTHING fun.
Old 01-24-2016, 02:29 PM
Master Fabricator

The windshield washer on my wife's car has quit squirting fluid.
I can hear the pump motor but no spray. No big, I'll pull the hoses and see where the problem is!
Pop the hood and there is the filler tube, but it is impossible to see the hose pump or sump.
Grab the "Shop Manual" which is a British copy for the wronghand drive but the only thing available in the states...
The first thing you do according to the shop manual is . . .
"Remove the front bumper" and two people are recommended.

Who thinks up this shit?

E

Old 01-25-2016, 12:31 AM
Master Fabricator

I have had similar problems with other vehicles here in Southern California. The fluid we get tends to solidify in the bottom of the reservoir. Some of these solids will go upstream and get caught in the sprayers. A very fine needle poking the sprayer has solve that similar problem for me many times
Old 01-25-2016, 12:33 AM
Master Fabricator

Unfortunately vehicles are designed to absorb energy these days. A five mile an hour fender bender can total a car for the sake of protecting the driver and its occupants. These dumb placements of parts are actually on purpose
Old 01-25-2016, 03:01 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooteK View Post
Unfortunately vehicles are designed to absorb energy these days. A five mile an hour fender bender can total a car for the sake of protecting the driver and its occupants. These dumb placements of parts are actually on purpose
"Unfortunately" designed to absorb impact at the expense of basic maintenance and so it will go to the local shop (NOT the Dealer) later this week because they can do it in a few hours and it will take me all day to do the first time; time I do not have!

E

Old 01-25-2016, 03:33 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Basic maintenance has gone way down on the priority list lately. Safety, emissions, and fuel economy seem to be the highest priorities.

Sometimes you win. Sometimes you learn.
Old 04-04-2016, 02:00 PM
Master Fabricator

Blasted Computer Module

...I could do this in less time now that I have done it once but only to the point of where I simply do not fit into the drivers side foot-well! From there on it was like doing a picture puzzle in the dark and blindfolded and not having even faintest mental image of WTF... While Wearing Mittens!!!
The scary part is I get to reinstall that computer module in a few days and I'm not exactly sure how it finally came out.

I can learn though, next time I'll know to spend 4 hours removing the Drivers seat, before I start dis-assembling the Firewall, to get to the Dash, to R&R the individual vehicle specific module, that has to be sent out and repaired then re-calibrated to the VIN for the car rather then simple replaced... which is all that should be necessary.
It is a cool car, but, seriously there are more wires connected to this one Module then there are in the whole of my 75, and the 75 has been more reliable for 40+ years!!

I'll admit it the more I deal with cars under 30 years old the more I really hate new(r) cars! Complexity for the sake of complexity is just inexcusable and I've noticed that it is the electronics that fail

Have a great day!
E