Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Old 07-20-2014, 05:34 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

I don't know anything about CRX suspension. Is that what your motor came out of? The reason I asked about struts is they may be difficult to package in your revised body. A coilover mounted to a lower A-arm wont stick up as high as a strut mounted to the top of the knuckle.

Sometimes you win. Sometimes you learn.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:16 AM
Master Fabricator

I'm experienced in building Hondas for racing. My current personal project is a buggy with a fwd V6 & subframe positioned as a mid mount in a scratch built tube frame offroad buggy. I've also built four Beetles into buggies for offroad use. So your project brings a big smile to my face... several of my addictions rolled into one car! I wonder if anyone else has thought to do this. I love the drawing of your intended bodywork. Are there kits in the States for this, or will you have to scratch build all those new panels? You may get more "advice" about changing fwd geometry to the rear than you need - most of it coming from those who've never done what you're under taking.

I presume you're going to use the Honda gearbox & driveshafts too, & fabricate up to the factory mounts to make a mid mount? Love the idea though, & will follow with great interest.
Old 07-23-2014, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post
You may get more "advice" about changing fwd geometry to the rear than you need - most of it coming from those who've never done what you're under taking.
Guilty as charged!

Old 07-23-2014, 01:38 PM
Master Fabricator

All very sound advice here guys and appreciated. I have zero import modification experience with exception of several bug builds of different types. There is nothing in kit form for this car hence the reason for spending the time to do it. I think with the input of Bandits I am going to build the complete frame. Front suspension will be a dropped I beam with hair pins. Rear suspension will be a complete stock honda front wheel drive moved to the rear. Lots of work ahead and Im still in the parts collection stage but its getting closer! Thanks for the hep here guys and gals It should be a fun build.
Old 07-24-2014, 06:43 PM

I would be doing a more modern suspension design up front if it were mine, but the I beam will be cheap & easy to package, plus it will fit the "vintage" of the car. For this mid-engine Honda motor, are you going to carb it with some big chrome stacks or carbon fiber and hot pink wiring? Modern or old school? Also what engine & transmission are you using specifically?

Old 07-24-2014, 07:39 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBandit View Post
I would be doing a more modern suspension design up front if it were mine, but the I beam will be cheap & easy to package, plus it will fit the "vintage" of the car. For this mid-engine Honda motor, are you going to carb it with some big chrome stacks or carbon fiber and hot pink wiring? Modern or old school? Also what engine & transmission are you using specifically?
Im thinking for the vintage look the I beam and hairpins will be just fine. Speedway Offers a kit that makes thing really easy, quick, and reasonable. The engine is out of the 1987 lxI and SI cars. From what Ive read it was the ho9t engine for the year. They bump up the horsepower the next year when they changed every in 88. Im not after a race car and Im not interested in ralley racing so it will be a good little grocery getter. Lots mor umph that the vw's.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:22 PM
Master Fabricator

You Yanks are so lucky. Here in Australia it is virtually impossible to road register anything home built - or even a midly altered car. Chassis & suspension mods? Forget it. Let alone a scratch build. So we're always insanely jealous of what you guys can build & drive to the shops over there. I think that's one reason why the fabrication skills of most of our amateur builders (self included) & the gear we have in our domestic garages is so far below what we see you fellas using matter of factly. But it's also why we love seeing what you all get up to. I think it's the same in the UK and most other countries around the world.
Old 07-26-2014, 03:25 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redliner View Post
You Yanks are so lucky. Here in Australia it is virtually impossible to road register anything home built - or even a midly altered car. Chassis & suspension mods? Forget it. Let alone a scratch build. So we're always insanely jealous of what you guys can build & drive to the shops over there. I think that's one reason why the fabrication skills of most of our amateur builders (self included) & the gear we have in our domestic garages is so far below what we see you fellas using matter of factly. But it's also why we love seeing what you all get up to. I think it's the same in the UK and most other countries around the world.
Don't really know how to respond to this post... Sorry? LOL I don't think anyone here really gives too much thought to what is happening other than in their garages. A lot of these vehicles are for off road and closed track use. Some of the older models can still be tinkered with without to many issues but the newer cars are getting very hard to modify with new EPA and safety regulations. I fear that street legal modifications might be vanishing and completely gone in a few generations. Is off road use a big thing there? Off road racing etc.?

Last edited by METAL TWISTER; 07-26-2014 at 03:31 AM.
Old 07-26-2014, 04:08 AM
Master Fabricator

We have all the forms of racing you do over there, but on a much smaller scale. Most public land is closed to offroading and the few places you can go like State forests require full road registration. The cops here will defect you for a non factory bullbar, altered exhaust - even for having fitted a pod filter! Very little private property is available and all race tracks - even dirt ones through the trees - have to be inspected & licensed by the police. If your neighbours complain about dust or noise from motor bikes or dirt cars the EPA orders you to cease.

Now I'm not saying all this to make you depressed - just to say how it is here, and how much more freedom you have there in America. I know in some parts of Eastern Europe offroading of ANY type is totally banned. So good luck to you guys & build & use toys like your current project & enjoy!
Old 07-26-2014, 04:39 AM
Master Fabricator

Wow, thanks for the insight. I have spent most of my years in off road vehicles and played in the so cal deserts since a youth. I can see a huge amount of restriction since I was young. Younger guys don't see it because they never knew what it was like in the earliest years of off roading. It has been gradual but seems to be really picking up pace these last 10 years or so. They are closing down riding areas and funneling everyone into smaller areas. when those areas get used more and more the Eco Nazi's point to how the place is all chewed up and the Eco system is suffering in those over used places. All caused by the restriction of off road use areas but blamed on the off road enthusiast. Very clever indeed. Control, Control, Control,
Old 07-30-2014, 02:06 AM
Master Fabricator

I got into the offroad world only 10 years ago, and I have seen our freedoms withering away in front of us. The old timers have the greatest stories of true freedom when they went out and just had a good time without any stress over law enforcement.

I know this is a bit different than what you're building, but the outside the box nature reminded me of this thread . Can't wait to see what you come up with, dare to be different!

Old 07-30-2014, 11:22 AM

Do you have a link to more photos/info on that bug?

Old 07-30-2014, 11:34 AM
Master Fabricator

Unfortunately I don't, just saw that picture while cruising around Facebook. I just searched a bit on google and didn't see any more
Old 07-30-2014, 11:52 AM
Master Fabricator

Wow, can you say liability insurance? That is taking the Pinto fuel tank issue to the limit.
Old 07-30-2014, 02:28 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by METAL TWISTER View Post
Wow, can you say liability insurance? That is taking the Pinto fuel tank issue to the limit.
First Car was a Pinto
2.0L EAO Blueprinted,the works...
I laughed when they recalled it and couldn't get the piece of plastic that was the recall fix, into that lowered road racer, not even the body sheetmetal was stock and all the suspension had been built to a unique state under the watchful eye of a engineer and road race friend, now passed. I really don't think that any pick-up point had not been moved.
I loved hunting 911's but the most fun was destroying the occasional RSR Capri.

Building that car put me in the machine and fabrication biz because I could afford some of the parts but never the labor!
When I was done (was I ever done) it was the best sleeper I've ever built except for the exhaust which sounded like a 13-footlong yellow-jacket at 10,000-RPM.

Pinto's

E

Old 07-30-2014, 02:51 PM
Master Fabricator

The result of a political witch hunt just like the corvair. That bug is just flat out scary... The rear bumper is the mount for the fuel tank? Yehaw... Dont stop to fast there son!
Old 07-30-2014, 03:13 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
The result of a political witch hunt just like the corvair. That bug is just flat out scary... The rear bumper is the mount for the fuel tank? Yehaw... Dont stop to fast there son!
so...

. . . are you saying that you shouldn't combine the push bar and the keg, errr, gas tank mount

Old 07-30-2014, 04:48 PM
Master Fabricator

Hell, who knows... Might be the BBQ for tailgate party's as far as I know.
Old 07-30-2014, 04:56 PM

This thread is going sideways already, so I'll go ahead and contribute to the derailment.

E - Have you got any photos of your Pinto? What has become of it now? Did it get rear-ended and turn into an inferno?

Old 07-30-2014, 06:03 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Hell, who knows... Might be the BBQ for tailgate party's as far as I know.
Ok THAT would be cool!

I may have to adapt that idea!