Go Back OFN Forums > Fabrication > Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Hotrod Fabrication Hotrod Fabrication

Old 07-21-2017, 09:35 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham08 View Post
Looks great! I've been following along on IG, too.

Which version of Dynafile did you get? That's pretty high on the list of tools I want to pick up.

Pictured below.

Dynabrade is part number 14000 and the floating contact arm is pn 11219 (bottom arm without the platen, a must have for finishing anything round).

https://www.zoro.com/dynabrade-air-b...00/i/G3606827/ (you should be able to find a 20 or 25% off coup which brings this down to around $380-400. Its worth every single one of the pennies.

and

https://www.zoro.com/dynabrade-conta...19/i/G3701957/

I also picked up this contact arm as it has a small wheel at the end you can use to do a nice fillet in corners (middle arm in pic).

http://www.lehighvalleyabrasives.com...11213-dyn11213

As for belts. Check out Perfect Sanding Supply on ebay. They have the best price a couple of us could find. They are german made.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-x-24-San...72.m2749.l2649

Hope that helps! Def buy one, you will not regret it one bit.

Dan
Old 07-21-2017, 10:17 AM
Master Fabricator

Put the brushed finish on the rear exhaust section last night. I sanded out all of the tooling marks and then used the maroon belt on the dynabrade to do the brushed finish. All thats left now is a tail pipe which Im still undecided on.

Dan
Old 08-31-2017, 02:15 PM
Master Fabricator

Not much progress in the last month, just too busy doing adulting.

Did manage to create the front exhaust mount and get it tacked on. Also have the end of the down pipe done (flex section and transition from 3" to 2.5")

And some parts showed up.

First $185 order of ARP hardware.

3" stainless for the new down pipe

EFR 6258 turbo finally showed yesterday. The T25 inlet and 3" outlet makes for an odd looking setup. But its going to be a MUCH better choice than the T3 turbine'd super 16G that I had originally. Excited to start getting it installed next week.

Dan
Old 08-31-2017, 03:03 PM
Junior Fabricator

Very nice 👍👍
Old 08-31-2017, 07:48 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by juicedz4 View Post

Dan

Can't wait to see what you do with the Dynabrade and the turbine housing.
Old 09-01-2017, 09:51 PM
Master Fabricator

Hah. You were second to mention it. But 100% it's going to have a blanket.

Dan
Old 09-15-2017, 03:30 PM
Master Fabricator

Originally I thought for sure that the new EFR turbo would fit very similar to the old 16G given the basic size. Fortunately it would not which led me down a huge rabbit hole (as usual).

This was the original setup:

Turns out the best way to fit it was to flip it around. This meant having a different intercooler. I couldnt really find anything that I liked that would fit well with in/out on the same end. So I thought why not go water to air. And well, here we are.

First I came up with a wood jig to hold the turbo in place.

Then found an IC I thought would work and made a poster board mockup of it. Scabbed together a bunch of random couplers and hoses and decided I could make it work.

Fast forward to a bunch of parts showing up.

Needed to modify both the inlet and outlet of the IC which required both flanges to be removed. To avoid getting any metal inside I connected the shop vac to blow through while cutting. It worked perfect.

One side cut

Cast inlet elbow cut

For the outlet I wanted to match the 3" dia of the TB, so I cut and formed a piece of 3" tubing to the outlet of the IC

Was "talked into" using the Vibrant HD wiggins type clamps instead of couplers and tbolt clamps. So got those welded onto the IC and TB late last night.

Placed in approximate location. Im still short another cast elbow that I need to weld to the turbo, but I cant go much further until I make a manifold.

Im super stoked how its turning out. Its soooo much cleaner than what I had originally.

As for the manifold I had a friend model it for me using some basic location dimensions. I ordered the weld els for it today, they should be in later next week along with the head flange.

Dan
Old 09-15-2017, 06:57 PM
Master Fabricator

So the heat exchanger will have to mounted to the engine now right?

Manifold design looks awesome.
Old 09-16-2017, 11:17 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterKraft View Post
So the heat exchanger will have to mounted to the engine now right?

Manifold design looks awesome.
Yes. Intercooler mounted to engine essentially. The actual heat exchanger will be in front of the radiator. Still trying to figure out where to mount the pump exactly.

Dan
Old 09-22-2017, 10:30 AM
Master Fabricator

Whipped up a new fan shroud for dual 10" Spal fans last night. Just need to add the mounting tabs which I should have today.

Bent up the 0.090" sheet on the brake at work.

Then welded and shaped the corners. I backed up each corner with a small bent piece of aluminum welded to the backside.

Cut the holes out with my handy Bosch jig saw and cleaned them up with the floating belt on the Dynabrade (best tool ever). Finished with 180 on the D/A and then a red scuffy. Im gona feel bad having it powder coated, maybe.

Dan
Old 09-22-2017, 12:16 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

Looks great. Just barely enough room width wise. I never did go back and weld the corners on mine - yours look very tidy.

Sometimes you win. Sometimes you learn.
Old 09-25-2017, 10:29 AM
Master Fabricator

Thanks Clint! Im pretty stoked about it.

Finished up the fan shroud.

A friend cut the mounting tabs on his CNC which saved a ton of time trying to get 4 exactly the same.

I hand filed the shroud to accept them, and welded them on the backside for a clean look. This will ultimately be powder coated wrinkle black.

Installed with the top cover I formed a few weeks back

With that done it was time to start on the collector for the manifold. I managed to get two of the tubes cut and fit pretty nicely. The other two got borked up somehow (the first two I did) so I need to redo those tomorrow.

Dan
Old 09-27-2017, 03:43 PM
Master Fabricator

Finished up the collector last night. Fit turned out pretty nice for my first time I think. Also got the bends and straight pieces cut so its ready to assemble. Should be starting on it tomorrow night if the head flange shows.

Dan
Old 09-29-2017, 11:52 AM
Master Fabricator

Head flange came in yesterday but its wrong, so I decided to work on the valve cover project last night.

Recall that I had two covers baked and blasted a while back. And did some milling to fit the COPs.

Ill spare you the details of cutting and fitting the piece from the donor cover and start where I had it clamped in place for welding. I welded both sides, then ground and sanded it smooth. Just a few pin holes were unearthed after grinding, which I'll likely just use some filler on vs trying to weld since Im pretty positive this is going to be painted.

Im pretty stoked how it turned out. I still need to remove the extra tabs and likely decrease the radius of the top pulley guard as Im not going to be running a timing cover.

Dan
Old 10-06-2017, 03:58 PM
Master Fabricator

Finished up the cam cover. Was able to weld up all of the larger pin holes. There are a handful of smaller ones but they should fill easy with primer.

Trimmed the timing gear guard about 3/8". I dont plan on running a timing cover and it just stuck up too far for my liking. And also trimmed off all the extra tabs around theedge and smoothed out any mold lines.

Then I created a jig for the manifold. A piece of 1x5 aluminum serves as the base (with port holes for back purging), and then some scrap 1" tube was used to position the turbine flange in the correct spot.

Unfortunately I still dont have the head flange, so in order to move forward with getting the runners at least tacked together, I machined this little disc. It will bolt thru the purge holes (which are centered on each runner) and keep the first weld el in the right x,y and z positions. Ill simply move it from runner to runner as I fit them.

Dan
Old 10-09-2017, 10:49 AM
Master Fabricator

Got the first two runners tacked up on saturday. The disc worked perfectly to position them. Should have the other two tacked up tomorrow night. Then its wait time until the flange arrives

Dan
Old 10-09-2017, 11:30 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
It will bolt thru the purge holes (which are centered on each runner) and keep the first weld el in the right x,y and z positions. Ill simply move it from runner to runner as I fit them.
Great idea!
Old 10-11-2017, 10:54 AM
Master Fabricator

Thanks! It worked perfectly.

Lots of progress last night.

Finished tacking the last two runners together. The spacer worked great.

Then I made up a temporary steel flange so I can move forward with the downpipe and charge pipes since the head flange is 3 weeks out.

And bolted it up along with the turbo. Fits just like I had planned. It looks close to the firewall but there is probably 1.5"

With that done I was able to finish up the downpipe.

Plenty of brace clearance.

Dan
Old 10-11-2017, 04:19 PM
Master Fabricator

The manifold is bad ass, the symmetry rules.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:27 PM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterKraft View Post
The manifold is bad ass, the symmetry rules.
Thanks man. Part of me wishes I had swapped the 3rd and 4th runners. Supposedly having them connect to the collector in firing order (going CW or CCW around) is better. But Im very happy with the way its coming together.

Dan