Go Back OFN Forums > Badland Buggy Group > Buggy Builds

Buggy Builds Badland Buggy Complete Builds

Buggy Builds Badland Buggy Complete Builds

Old 04-19-2012, 10:35 PM
Master Fabricator

My first real build!

Hello all! Well Ive been wanting to build a buggy for years now and I found the MiniBuggy.net website while looking around the OFN. Now Im addicted to 2 great fab sites. After reading through several build threads there I ran out and bought my plans for the ST4. Then this week I bought my first round of tubing and got to cutting. I am going to try and keep both threads up to date.
First I cleaned up all the saw dust from building my fly tieing stations (I like to fish too) and taped the plans for the frame to the wall.

Then I got busy and I managed to get the frame floor tacked together today.

The only thing I am not happy with is that my 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 square tubing isn't square so I have some gaps in my joints that I am going to have to fill with weld. Anyway I am glad to be started and as I always do I hope get some good advice and experiance from everyone here. Thanks in advance!

Scott (aka avtech)
Old 04-20-2012, 08:46 AM
Master Fabricator

Subscribed.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:30 PM
Master Fabricator

cool looking forward to this.

make sure your floor doesn't "warp" it. my floor has several spots that will wreck a flat frame if not shimmed at the corners.
Old 04-20-2012, 10:52 PM
Master Fabricator

Ok everyone, I am in desperate need of some help with cuting the angle for my ST4 frame. The plans call for the 2 sides to be cut at 79* and the connecting piece also to be cut at 79* on one end and 67* on the other, the next piece to be cut at 67* also, when I cut it like this I end up with everything coming out to almost a 90* angle when assembeled and it doas not meet the fwd most piece. If I lay it out and cut it with the angles that make everything line up I end up with a huge gap in my joints.
I am waisting way to much tube to continue like this, I need some seriouse help! Thanks
Scott
Old 04-20-2012, 10:54 PM
Master Fabricator

Here is what Bruce at Badlands told me to do. (also what the plans show) And here's a picture of what I end up with.
Part #11: Square Tube 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 0.065" wall, cut length 37-3/8" long with a 45 degree miter at the left & a 79 degree miter at the right.

Part #7: Square Tube 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 0.065" wall, cut length 8-13/16" long with a 79 degree miter at the left & a 67 degree miter at the right. Match the 79 degree miter (left) to the 79 degree miter (right) of Part #11.

Part #9: Square Tube 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 0.065" wall, cut length 17-13/16" long with a 67 degree miter on the left & a 79 degree miter on the right. Match the 67 degree miter (left) to the 67 degree miter (right) on Part #7.

Part #6: Square Tube 1-1/2" x 1-1/2" x 0.065" wall, cut length 8-5/16" long with a 79 degree miter on the left & a 79 degree miter on the right. Match each end to Part #9, two locations.

You may have the matching angles reversed. For example, you may be trying to match a 67 degree miter to a 79 degree miter. Try turning the tube over. We like to physically make "match" lines at joins but marking a straight line across both tubes & marking "A" & "A" at the first join, then "B" & "B", and so on... This ensures everything goes together perfectly.
And here is what I ended up with.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:20 AM
Master Fabricator

Just a curiosity..not ever seeing the plans, are you measuring your cuts at the right points.Is the 17 13/16 for example suppose to be measured from the inside of the cut and not the outside? if you measure out the 17 13/16 then take and draw your angles you (without doing the math could be coming up an inch short on both ends. Again I would have to see the plans. Also what are you using for your angles?
Old 04-21-2012, 01:23 AM
Master Fabricator

The best thing to do is to draw it with chalk on the floor first. It will save you so much material.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:30 AM
Master Fabricator

I'm confused it all looks great to me?

Is the bottom 13 supposed to hit the tube or ...
Old 04-22-2012, 11:46 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterKraft View Post
I'm confused it all looks great to me?

Is the bottom 13 supposed to hit the tube or ...
Its supposed to hit 13 at the top end.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:49 AM
Master Fabricator

Well, after all my problems with angles I finally got the floor frame finished and got the B-pillar tacked together. The B-piller is going to need some tweeking but didn't turn out too bad.

Thanks to everyone for there help with the angles! I am sure I will be asking many more questions throughout this build, thank the lord for OFN and MiniBuggy.com, otherwise I would not be able to do this build. Its nice to have a great bunch of peaple to ask questions and get advice from.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:50 AM
Master Fabricator

I just noticed I still have to add 3 supports to the floor frame in the aft section, next weekend. Hopefully it will start looking like a buggy next weekend.
Old 04-22-2012, 11:30 PM
Master Fabricator

glad you worked through it, looks good too, I was thinking you had a tube bender? If so why all the cut/weld?
Old 04-23-2012, 09:03 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarterKraft View Post
glad you worked through it, looks good too, I was thinking you had a tube bender? If so why all the cut/weld?
I do have a bender but I only have a die for round tubing, also the plans I am following (sorta) call for the floor and B-pillar to be square tube.
I cant wait to get through this part and start bending some tube, should be alot easier getting the angles to line up.
Old 04-23-2012, 10:07 AM
Master Fabricator

So for future builders what were you doing wrong?
Old 04-23-2012, 12:56 PM
Master Fabricator

chloeedad, I dont know what I was doing wrong. I drew it out on the mdf and cut the miters to what would fit. It still is not what the plans showed as the correct angles to cut but it lined up and everything is square so I am happy.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:04 PM
Fabricator

It looked like you were trying to match up different angle miters? Lets say you want two pieces of square tube to come together at a 65 degree angle, you can't just cut one at 65 and mate it to another un-mitered piece. You would have to cut 32.5 degree cuts in each piece for them to mate up flush. Sorry if I misunderstood.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:24 PM
Master Fabricator

Some more progress

First day off this week and made some progress.

I've got a few things to do tomorrow but I hope to get some more work done tomorrow. May try to go by the Pull-A-Part and see if I can find some front spindles to start my suspension with after the frame is done.

Thanks for looking.

Scott
Old 04-29-2012, 06:52 AM
Master Fabricator

Got my seat yesterday and I think I am going to need to raise the cockpit a little. I haven't actually sat in it yet but from looking at it with seat sat in there it looks like there's not enough head room.

Next weekend I'll get it on the floor and sit in it and see for sure. I will only get a couple of days this coming weekend to work on the buggy, going on a cruise for our 10th anniversary next week.
Old 04-29-2012, 07:54 AM
Master Fabricator

Any drive line ideas yet?
Old 04-29-2012, 08:15 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeedad View Post
Any drive line ideas yet?
I'm still in the planning stages with the drive line. I am looking for a GSXR 600cc to 1000cc motor and trans.