Go Back OFN Forums > Badland Buggy Group > Buggy Builds

Buggy Builds Badland Buggy Complete Builds

Buggy Builds Badland Buggy Complete Builds

Old 09-15-2009, 04:53 AM
Fabricator

Great work J J Those flames are hot Keep em.

Glad to here she is in good spirits...
Old 09-15-2009, 12:32 PM
Master Fabricator

Nice work, I enjoy the builds I have found here and hope to post my own build soon. must be nice having a lift in the shop to!!

Dave
Old 09-15-2009, 05:34 PM
Master Fabricator

Thanks. I'm almost done with the subframe. Should be finished tomorrow. Not a roller yet but very close. Will post pics hopefully tomorrow night.

Yes, having the lift in the shop is a blessing. I never want to work without one again.

J. J.
Old 09-16-2009, 11:26 AM
Fabricator

Now I need a lift Anyone got one in SE Michigan?
Old 09-17-2009, 11:50 AM
Master Fabricator

Finished the removeable subframe. That's it before I go on vacation. When I get back I'll start on suspension.

Pic of my modified stock fuel rails installed:

I think this is an EGR solenoid. Can someone confirm? And will it stay or go once I cut my harness down?

J. J.
Old 09-17-2009, 08:05 PM
Master Fabricator

on the flame gussets...i'd leave them...they look cool but i would recommend a sanding disc instead of a grinding disc...that will make everything look soooo much smoother!
Old 10-15-2009, 10:23 AM
Master Fabricator

I've been obsessing about front axle placement for the past few weeks because I knew I wanted the buggy to be low low but there were so many clearance issues with the rockwell. Trying to get everything perfect has been a bitch and thus it took a long time to get the front end in. But I finally got it and I'm happy with where it is.

These first 3 pics are at full suspension compression in the front. Or full stuff as I call it. The rear is not situated on the lift accurate in any fo the pics so these just serve as a reference for the front right now:

These should be ride height. I may set it a little higher as I build and ride it but its easy to do that and not easy to go lower, hence building so low right now:

And here's a pic of just one of the clearance issues I am dealing with. This is why I had to re-route my belt, get rid of the heater hode fittings, and turn my t-stat housing 180*:

J. J.
Old 10-15-2009, 06:21 PM
Master Fabricator

looks great.....don't get in a hurry and mess up the awesome work you've already done!
Old 10-15-2009, 06:57 PM
Master Fabricator

I won't. I'm just thoroughly enjoying my time at the shop relaxing. I drink beer when I feel like it and have no time-objectives. Its so nice not having a deadline. There are some days that I only get one bracket done and go home smiling.

J. J.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:43 PM
Instagram @chevyhotrodder

I just recently discovered your build and I'm really looking forward to following your progress. I hope your girlfriend was able to recover from the accident. It's a tough horse to get back on after being thrown off so hard, but I'm glad you're getting back into something you enjoy and giving us all something awesome to read about.

What all is involved in getting the LS up and running?

Sometimes you win. Sometimes you learn.
Old 10-15-2009, 07:54 PM
Master Fabricator

Gosh, I couldn't even begin going through step by step what is required for the LS2. It is so much more involved than my old propane engine! Do you have something specific you are wondering about? I'm an expert by no means.

Thanks for the compliments though. Getting back on the horse for me was never a question. This stuff is in my head and I can't get it out. Asking me to stop would be like asking me to stop breathing. My fiance is the one who I am proud of. Her back is still healing but she is finally working full time again and able to work out and do light-duty activities. I don't know that I'll ever let her ride big obstacles again. Her back is just still so fragile. She tried to enter a kickboxing class and had to drop it because it was just killing her back. She's such a trooper though!

J. J.
Old 10-18-2009, 11:46 AM
Master Fabricator

Man, I hate my job! (Just kidding.) I took 2 days off in addition to my normal two days to work on the buggy and ended up having to work 2 of them anyway! What's worse is I ended up spending the two I had left at the shop redoing a bunch of previous work for clearance. But at least its all done now. I had to "turn up" the frame in the front to clear the upper links and brackets. I hope it doesn't screw with the overall looks of the chassis too bad but, to be honest, I knew I was going to have to do something drastic to get everything to clear and, for the most part, form follows function for me. I also got started installing the air bumps but ran out of time:

I have a few friends who have FOA bump stops that, despite the little o-ring that is suppossed to keep them located in the can, still manage to pound them up from hitting on them so hard. I've also heard from numerous sources that the tiny single little bolt that comes welded onto them is insufficient to get significant clamping force. So this is my solution. Think it will hodl them in place or will I still have to weld a lid on the top to keep the bump from moving like some of my friends do?

The weather here cooled off for the first time of the season and got down to about 60* during the day and it was nice and sunny the entire time. It was so nice to be in the shop working in that weather! I get days off again starting Tues. I hope to finish up the front bumpstops and then get to work on the rear suspension.

J. J.

Last edited by patooyee; 10-18-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-18-2009, 01:22 PM
Master Fabricator

lookin good! love those wheels!
Old 10-18-2009, 06:27 PM
Master Fabricator

The solenoid that is in the picture is your evap. purge solenoid. You can elminate it if you don't need it but you should probably get it turned off with a edit program if so. Are you going to run a open or closed loop system? Love the build just checked it out this afternoon.
Old 10-18-2009, 06:31 PM
Master Fabricator

I have a question about your throttle,are you going to keep it fly by wire or are you going to get a throttle body with a cable?
Old 10-18-2009, 07:32 PM
Master Fabricator

Like I said, I'm new to EFI. This is my first non-propane engine. What do you mean by open or closed loop? I plan to have O2 sensors but it is my understanding that even with them the computer will ignore them until it gets up to operating temp. I plan to have a professional program my ECM to ignore the rear o2's and several of the other things I won't need anymore. BUt I also intend to buy an EFI Live subscription or something similar so that I can learn to play with it myself in the future. My plan is to get used to 400hp for a year or two and then stroke the engine with some L92 heads to try for around 700hp in the future. At that point I suspect knowing how to tune on my own will be important.

Was planning on keeping DBW unless I get it running and totally hate it.

J. J.

Last edited by patooyee; 10-18-2009 at 07:37 PM.
Old 10-18-2009, 08:47 PM
Master Fabricator

Open loop does not use the o2 sensors for fuel trim and closed loop does.The o2 sensors and coolant both have a temp they must reach as well run time before the engine will go into closed loop. The only time that you may have issues with the fly by wire is if you have system voltage swings just be sure and have good clean grounds, solder and use star washers. The only problem is when it does fail it defaults to idle and you won't be going anywhere.
Old 10-18-2009, 09:08 PM
Master Fabricator

I intend to carry a spare pedal (And every sensor, actually) just for that scenario. Believe me, after so many years of wheeling ultra-reliable and simple propane I was SUPER reluctant to run the efi engine. There was even a large amount of time where I SERIOUSLY considered putting the carb intake on this engine and continuing to run propane. But then I just decided that I was tired of being scared of EFI and I wanted to learn about it. In case you haven't seen some of my Pirate threads, I have the propensity to seriously learn any system to the most finite detail. If I run it I want to UNDERSTAND it. I desperately want to be that way about EFI and I will never get there unless I own and run an EFI engine. Kind of like rocket science ... I don't give a crap about it, just like seeing the flash. But I guarantee if I owned a rocket I'd be a rocket scientist! Or maybe the analogy is should be more like jumping off a cliff ... you don't know what's at the bottom until you get there??? :)

J. J.

Last edited by patooyee; 10-18-2009 at 09:42 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 09:50 AM
Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by patooyee View Post
Or maybe the analogy is should be more like jumping off a cliff ... you don't know what's at the bottom until you get there??? :)

J. J.
Nice lookin work. When you jump you do you choose a high cliff. Did you hit the bottom &

(I like that )
Old 10-20-2009, 02:07 PM
Junior Fabricator

EFI Live is a great program. Stay away from software that doesn't edit real time. Makes it a real pain in the butt to have to flash the ecm everytime you want to make a slight change and you waste alot of fuel letting the fuel trims settle back in. One other thing to look for when shopping for software is the support forums and stuff that you can use with the software. You will have questions so the better the tech on the forums for the software, the easier time you'll have figuring stuff out. Also finding someone local that has the same software and a working knowledge will speed up your learning curve exponentially. You'll learn more in 10 minutes talking to someone about it than in 10 hours reading on the net There's a lot to learn with efi but being NA takes quite a few extra variables out of the equation, which is good . LTFT, STFT, MAP, MAF, IAT, CTS, and on and on. I would recommend getting a wideband if you really want to dial things in once you're comfortable with the software. It's also an easy read to know if something isn't right with the motor if you put a gage on the dash. You won't have your laptop on the trails so the wideband acts as a great idiot light if you drop a sensor. While widebands come recommended, they aren't a "need" to get a good tune. You can get a very reliable tune setup by using your narrow band(O2 sensor) if a wideband isn't in the budget. Autometer makes a decent setup that goes on the dash, innovative comes highly recommended with thier LC-1 and LM-1 setups. Make sure you check compatability with your software. You need to be able to log your wideband signal with your engine data for it to be useful. EFI isn't that scary or difficult once you get a working knowledge of it. Based on your build thread, you'll get the hang of it quickly and probably never have a non tuneable setup again Sorry to ramble in your build thread. I really like your work and have meant to subscribe for a while now. Keep up the good work.