Go Back OFN Forums > Badland Buggy Group > Buggy Builds

Buggy Builds Badland Buggy Complete Builds

Buggy Builds Badland Buggy Complete Builds

Old 05-15-2009, 08:24 PM
Master Fabricator

I'm still adjusting on my the plasma table to get things perfect but its 95% functional to where I can start getting some work done.

Here's a completed and welded-on "bomb pan". The ultimate clearance at the lowest point is the same as a a normal mo-hawk but I'm hoping the less harsh angles will allow it to slide over rocks better. What do you think? Will it help or hinder me?

Here's a complete boot guard. The cuts on it are a bit rough as I cut it before I got my table tuned in. The ones after that looks way better but I haven't had a chance to snap a pic of them yet.

J. J.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:14 PM
Master Fabricator

Yeah I think that diff bottom will be better than the typical mohawk. Yours will allow it to slide sideways whereas a typical mohawk not so easily.
Old 05-16-2009, 03:32 PM
Master Fabricator

Yeah, I can't tell you how many times I got hung up with a rock flat on the flat bottom of my old mo-hawks. We'll see!

J. J.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Master Fabricator

So I took 4 days of vacation time just to work on the buggy and it turns out I only got to actually spend 2 of them working on it due to both batteries in my disel dying in the Wal-Mart parking lot, several AAA tows to and from the dealership, only to come home with the a/c not working and having to bring it straight back. Then in addition to that the window quit qorking in my company van so I spent a bunch of time ferrying that to and from the dealer to get fixed. (Both vehicles are under warranty. The diesel is a GM and the van is a Dodge ... hmm, I wonder why both those companies had to be bailed out to stay afloat???)

Anyway, in 4 days all I got done was finished hanging my drivetrain and cut the bottom piece to the belly pan. Designing that piece and cutting it took a full day alone as it was a third of a sheet of steel and I wanted to make sure that I got it right the first time. Plus, so much fo the rest of the subframe will tie into it that it took me hours just to brainstorm and properly design it to make sure that I included everything I needed in it. Watch, now that I post pics ya'll will probably find 40 ****ing things I forgot. :)

At this point my belly should be roughly about 18 - 19" off the ground at ride height with the top of the cage roughly about 5'9" - 5'10" with the 47's. My front driveshaft is almost maxed out going UP TO the rockwell pinion in the front and clears the motor mount by about 2mm (may have to make some clearance there somehow in the future). It comes within an inch of the LS water spout.

J. J.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:43 AM
Master Fabricator

Here's an unfinished shot of what I have going on for the rest of the subframe. Not nearly complete yet ...

J. J.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:54 PM
Junior Fabricator

looking good.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:49 PM
Junior Fabricator

now i know why you asked on pirate for the PN for the 205 gasket kit. you needed a template. cool mount.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:19 PM
Master Fabricator

Exactly!

J. J.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:48 PM

Glad to see you back on the board and getting back into the swing of things... The drawings look sweet... Pm me if you are still having issues on the drive. I think I understood what you mean about the Drive.

http://rock4xfabrication.com
1-847-672-9653
1-847-544-1823
Old 08-12-2009, 12:14 AM
Master Fabricator

I know this is off the subject but I talked to one of the emergency rescue guys from Harlin this weekend and he spoke of your accident.It was off the side of Mason Jar was it not?He said the fellar didn't take a likein to us cuttin up his buggy.Either way small world and nice ride.
Old 08-12-2009, 01:12 AM
Master Fabricator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock4XFab View Post
Glad to see you back on the board and getting back into the swing of things... The drawings look sweet... Pm me if you are still having issues on the drive. I think I understood what you mean about the Drive.
I'm sorry, I think I am forgetting a past conversation. Now I don't know what you mean by "the drive." :)

It wasn't me who had a problem with them cutting the buggy up. It was my buddy Jimmy because he knew if they did that I wouldn't fix it, I would just tear it apart and start a new one. I had already started collecting parts for the next one at that point and was pickign the chassis up on our way home. He didn't want his best wheeling buddy to be out of the game for a long time. :) It was my idea to cut it up to begin with. I knew how bad Ashley's back was and I didn't want them to do anything to make it worse. If it meant tearing the buggy to a million little pieces I was all for it. They were hesitant to do it at first but I made them. I just wanted her out of the rig and in the hospital ASAP. Those guys were serious professionals though. They came up that mountain with the quickness and had the proper tools to get people out of mangled buggies out in a flash. I'm told one of them is TPIJeep from pirate. I guess it probably wasn't the appropriate time for introductions but I wish I would have known as he and I have spoken at length via PM about various topics there. I believe the obstacle's name was Pinball. It doesn't look like anything which is why i felt so safe full throttling on it. But my right side tread just caught the embankment and shot the front end up like a rocket.

Ashley asked me the other night if I would ever try that obstacle again and I told her that I wouldn't right away but I am just not the type of person to admit defeat easily. I'll wait until the new rig gets a few years on it and then hit it again without her in it.

She's such a trooper. Laying in the hospital bed she was asking how long it would be before we could wheel again. Right now she's sleeping alone in bed while I am in the office cranking out CAD drawings and she'll only complain a little in the morning. :) I'm so lucky to have her. I knew it before the accident but the accident really hit that point home for me. She is so good to me I can't even explain it.

J. J.

Last edited by patooyee; 08-12-2009 at 01:16 AM.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:07 AM
Master Fabricator

Thanks Patooyee , That is a great design on you 205 overhung mount just the insperation I needed for mine. Do you have a front view of it and is the flat plate between the front and rear outputs for your air shifters?
Old 08-12-2009, 10:28 AM
Master Fabricator

I can get a front view for you in the next couple days. Yes, the flat plate is for the air shifters.

J. J.
Old 08-12-2009, 03:01 PM
Master Fabricator

Thanks whenever you get a chance
bob
Old 08-22-2009, 11:37 AM
Master Fabricator

Well, the bottom of the subframe that I had already cut that is shown above isn't going to work so its a waste afterall. I should have known to run suspension numbers before designing link mounts but I'm new to this CAD shit so oh well, you live you learn.

With a redesign I'm able to come up with satisfactory suspension numbers both front and rear. I'd post them but I still have to fine-tune the top links before I end up with anything written in stone. I've been spending the past couple of WEEKS just doing CAD work and running suspension numbers. Some of the time was just teaching myself how to properly do the CAD work, the rest was not settling for anything less than what I wanted for suspension geometry and wheelbase. This buggy is going to be one of the shortest rockwell buggies on a 321 chassis at 120". Everything barely fits that way. Here's what I've got done in two weeks. It's still not finished but to be honest I'm ****ing tired of CAD and design and I'm ready to start doing some cutting and fabbing. I'll do the rest of the bracing and shit on the fly.

No, the holes won't be dimpled. They're just there for looks in an extra layer of plate to add rigidity. I don't want dimples in my subframe because I won't be able to paint the insides of the resultant structure and will have a hellacious time getting mud and rust out.

BTW, the entire subframe will unbolt from the main frame for easy access trans / t-case repairs. Shouldn't be a big deal at all to drop it out on the lift with a trans jack. I may even make some temp brackets that will hold the lower links in place against the top links for when they have to come off to drop the subframe.

The front suspension will be 4-links with the top links straight and the lowers converging at the chassis with the rear suspension also being a 4-link with the lower links straight and the top links converging at the chassis.

Next week will be fab time!

J. J.
Old 08-24-2009, 09:01 PM
Master Fabricator

There is a reason I cut my old frame apart before I ended up with my current work in progress. I like the subframe. I was going to make mine bolt in also but I left is as a weld in. Yeah it will be a PITA to get the t-cases out but hopefully I don't need to do it very often.
Old 08-30-2009, 02:14 PM
Master Fabricator

I've been busting my ass lately drilling and sleeving all the holes in the frame for the subframe brackets and finally finished. I wish I had had the forethought to build a removeable subframe before I put the chassis together because then I could have drilled these 56 3/4" holes on the drill press. But since I didn't it was all done by hand over the course of about 5 work days. They all got sleeves welded in with 1/2" bolts going through both horizontally and vertically. That subframe ain't goin nowhere. He's a pic of some of the brackets installed:

There needed to be a gusset where the frame rails weld together. The 321 kit comes with a diamond-shaped gusset but I kind of wanted something more blingy. The gusset had to be welded on before I could finish my subframe brackets so I made some angry flame gussets. :) They didn't turn out as good as I hoped they would though. What are your thoughts? Are they gay or will they look super-bad once they're painted? I've got a lot of time into them and tearing them off to make soemthing else would require exponentially more time ...

Where they are on the frame:

Then I got to work on the actual sub-frame. (FINALLY!) That's 3/16" laminated with 12-guage:

Next days to work are early next week. My goal is to have a rolling chassis by Sept. 18 so that it can come off the lift for my buddy to do his exhaust on while I am out of town on a Cruise.

Oh, and dedmetal, sorry it took me so long but here's the pics that you requested:

J. J.
Old 08-30-2009, 04:03 PM
Master Fabricator

That looks like it WAS a PITA to do the holes afterwards ouch that must of been a huge time killer!.Thanks for the pics, your chassis is looking fantastic
Old 08-30-2009, 04:17 PM
Master Fabricator

Yes, it was. I would be very happy if I went the rest of my life without ever having to do it again.

J. J.
Old 09-15-2009, 12:29 AM
Master Fabricator

How the chassis coming? is she a roller yet? pics